DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

Since we're sniping at poor Marty's list, I will say that I think that grade of A for XX is a bit high.

It's definitely a solid B and is in the upper third of all of the horror portmanteaus I've watched over the years.  The opening segment (The Box) is particularly chilling.

Other than that, congratulations on your achievement! 

Back in the day I could do complete the 31 Days challenge in my sleep, but lots and lots of real life have kicked in lately.

11 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

I stand by my decisions. I will not be swayed. 

I didn't feel metalbeast reached "so bad it's good" territory.

Who said anything about the "so bad" part? I will be forwarding this message to the forum abuse team, sir.

• Haha 1

And in record time even for Hollywood, Paramount has pounced on the box office from IT! and greenlit a remake of Pet Sematary with Kevin Kotsch and Dennis Widmyer (co-helmed the movie, Starry Eyes) to direct.

My friend/bandmate did a bang-up job of Jason from Friday Part 2 this year. He was fretting over finding a bag to cut a hole in only to look in the trash pile in his apartment to see a nasty old stained pillowcase his girl was throwing out haha. All he was missing was a pitchfork. 

• Like 1

If you're looking for something a little more recent than the TCM lineup tonight, Chiller is showing Sleepwalkers, Fright Night (1985), and The Babadook. The Stand miniseries is running right now. El Rey is busy disappointing us with a Puppet Master marathon and Ovation, of all channels, has them beat on the cheap just by playing Night of the Living Dead, House on Haunted Hill, the Little Shop of Horrors musical and Arachnophobia (!). 

EDIT: Logo is playing The Craft right now, then the two Ghostbusters, then THE HALLOWEEN ROSEANNE EPISODES~!

• Like 1

AMC is having a marathon of all of the Michael Myers Halloween movies:  Good, Bad, & Otherwise.

Poor forgotten Season Of The Witch...

I'm honestly surprised they didn't go in the direction of organic programming on the cheap and have a Walking Dead marathon or something.

Got in Rosemary's Baby, which is an all time favorite of mine. Not just horror film, either. It's just a great movie. 

Also saw PIECES for the first time which is more snugs into that space between giallo and co-ed slasher. The fucking gore is outstanding and the kills are often laughable. I'd recommend this for a "Let's hang out and watch something bloody we can laugh and make fun of" party. The last jump scare is fucking HILARIOUS. One of the all time best zingers I've ever seen.

Going to try and fit in two more tonight, and call it a great season.

• Like 1

Saw Nosferatu (1922) on a big screen with organist Peter Krasinski improvising the music.

Amazing!

The print was not one I had seen before, I highly suspect it was the Kino Blu-Ray version but I'll have to research that.

Seen the film countless times, but it's one of my nerdgasm titles.

Was unsure of the music going in, but I was blown away.

Krasinski is a master.

• Like 1

We watched Freddy vs Jason the other night, and the Scary Terry parody from Rick and Morty actually undersells how often Freddy calls someone a bitch.

I hadn't seen it since it was in theaters, but I honestly still liked it a lot with the exception of poor Kelly Rowland given some awful dialogue involving Columbine and a gay slur that even 15 years ago was ill-advised. 

• Like 2

For those of you that are morbidly curious and have time to kill and the patience of Job, A Cure For Wellness debuted this weekend on Showtime.  It should be available On Demand now.