DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Doesn't mean much to me as a Canuck, but apparently the Chiller channel is getting axed at the end of the year.

We have already lost Chiller on FiOS, but I didn't really care because I have Shudder.

Christ, The Strangers wasn't even good in the first place. 

Though the Hollywood shit is really making me regret my purchase I'm trying to drive through the third and fourth season of Tales from the Crypt. "Carrion Death" (with a great unhinged Kyle MacLachlan performance) has to be one of the grossest Tales eps ever. What would be on your top of that list? "Forever Ambergris" is still tops for me in that respect but this one, with the hand coming off... woof.

EDIT: For that matter, Chiller wasn't even good in the first place either but I lament the loss of any horror on the airwaves

Watched XX last night. It was...interesting. The first short, The Box was clearly the best, just super harrowing stuff. The last one, Her Only Living Son was super great too. The middle two both had some great stuff with Melanie Lynskey being an actress I like generally killing it in the Birthday Party. Could have used more of the desert thing as it really lacked tension despite a cool hook. Bridging sequence was super neat too.

Nothing in there I would call GREAT per se (although the Box brushes it) as everything had pretty pronounced flaws, but they also mostly felt pretty different from a lot of horror I've watched. And there's a charm to rougher work. I had a good time with it on the whole and would recommend checking it out if you have 80 minutes to kill.

• Like 1

I have a mini review of XX somewhere in the last few pages of the thread.

I also thought that The Box was borderline great and there was a certain viciousness that I enjoyed about Don't Fall.   It definitely rushed to the payoff, though.  Could've used a few more minutes of nervous tension.

I am inclined not to like anything by Karyn Kusama mostly since she's a well known control freak and I have heard that most people find her very hard to work with, but I had to admit I liked the parental angle that it took with the old Spawn Of Satan horror trope.  It took multiple viewings of XX for me to put away my preconceived notions, though.

The Birthday Party was fucking awesome.  Melanie Lynskey's fake parenting skills put my actual parenting skills to shame.  Best Mom Ever.  She almost pulled the whole thing off.

And yeah, the best part of XX was the surreal framing sequences created by stop motion artist legend, Sofia Carrillo.

• Like 1

I enjoyed The Strangers but it really doesn't need a sequel.  And I hate that "inspired by true events" bullshit.  AND it's really egregious in The Strangers' case.  The "true event" in question?  An attempted burglary near-miss from the director's childhood.

As a kid, I lived in a house on a street in the middle of nowhere. One night, while our parents were out, somebody knocked on the front door and my little sister answered it. At the door were some people asking for somebody who didn't live there. We later found out that these people were knocking on doors on the area and, if no one was home, breaking into the houses"

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

As a kid, I lived in a house on a street in the middle of nowhere. One night, while our parents were out, somebody knocked on the front door and my little sister answered it. At the door were some people asking for somebody who didn't live there. We later found out that these people were knocking on doors on the area and, if no one was home, breaking into the houses"

And I call bullshit on the director's so called "childhood inspiration," since it really does sound like the plot of:

• Like 1

Lair of the White Worm is on heavy rotation on Showtime.  It is so fucking awesome!

I am dumb because it has just dawned on me that the actor that plays Angus who looks as if he were Hugh Grant's real life brother is actually Peter mother fucking Capaldi from Doctor Who.

There are no words for how huge of a crush I had on Amanda Donohoe at the time.

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

Lair of the White Worm is on heavy rotation on Showtime.  It is so fucking awesome!

I am dumb because it has just dawned on me that the actor that plays Angus who looks as if he were Hugh Grant's real life brother is actually Peter mother fucking Capaldi from Doctor Who.

There are no words for how huge of a crush I had on Amanda Donohoe at the time.

I remember that being high on the nerd spank scale back in the day and a favorite of mags like Cinefantastique.

Despite your certain, erm, interests, I think Lair is just a really bad Hammer parody/overlong Tales from the Crypt episode. But there's Amanda Donohoe walking around in hooker boots so there you go

And I'm not saying any of these things aren't appealing, but they aren't, you know, good

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Despite your certain, erm, interests, I think Lair is just a really bad Hammer parody/overlong Tales from the Crypt episode. But there's Amanda Donohoe walking around in hooker boots so there you go

And I'm not saying any of these things aren't appealing, but they aren't, you know, good

You are such a buzzkill, Curt. 

• Haha 1

The Night Mind entry analyzing Wham City's new project, The Cry of Mann.

His pie vs. cake analogy concerning the eternal struggle between creator and audience debate is absolutely brilliant!

Every Weezer fan that despises their song, Feels Like Summer, probably needs to listen to that bit.

• Like 1

The good news is that the Sabrina the Teenage Witch companion show for Riverdale is going to be horror themed just like the comics.

Sabrina_Horror_3.jpg

The bad news for those of you without Netflix is that it is only going to be broadcast on Netflix.  Netflix has ordered a twenty episode run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The Pet Sematary reboot is gonna come out on April 19, 2019

That is a weird way to celebrate Easter

Jesus rose from the dead and so will little Gage Creed... sorta..

I'm probably going to Hell for making that joke.

Hopefully the good trend of IT! and Gerald's Game will continue and the Pet Semitary movie adoptation will turn out to be far better than the book.

Well, I finally took The Devil's Pass (2013) off of my List of Shame last night since it is available on SHO On Demand.

devils-pass-movie-poster-dyatlov-inciden

It is yet another entry into the Horror Mockumentary genre and the premise is absolutely fascinating:

Spoiler

American students researching the infamous Dyatlov Pass Incident stumble across a secret Russian research facility and chaos follows.

but the dialogue laying the groundwork for the film's mythology is so ham fisted that it takes you out of the movie a little until.

Spoiler

THE TELEPORTATION MUTANTS ATTACK~!

The secret Russian lab is built over what appears to be either a naturally occurring wormhole or a piece of alien technology buried under the earth. 

The Americans and the Russians have been secretly engaging in an arms race to be the first to figure out how to use the teleportation technology but the wormhole bends space as well as time, so the experience of traveling through time either mutates humans and drives them batshit insane (think The Jaunt by Stephen King) or the teleportation aspect proves to be fatal as humans reappear inside solid matter and die when their atoms are fused inside of a structure..

The movie puts forth the idea that the people killed during the Dyatlov Pass Incident were murdered by the Russian test subjects who are ghoulish mutants that can blink short distances, but only do so through line of sight.  They are afraid of blind teleportation because they may end up trapped inside of a wall or something. 

There is your Aim For The Zombie's Head monster rule for this movie. The blink mutants have to physically chase you into a room you've already entered; they will not teleport into an area where they are unfamiliar with the shape of the room or placement of objects inside of the room.

The ending is not very surprising but it is still pretty satisfying.  It's barely 90 minutes long, so you won't feel like you've lost hours you'll never get back.

When I get back to my parent's crib on Sunday, I will try to sit down and check out Contracted (also on SHO On Demand)

contracted-poster.jpg

before settling in to play more Watch Dogs 2.

36 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Whoa, never heard about said Incident and it's pretty crazy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

During the revival of IN SEARCH OF on Syfy Channel, there was an episode dealing with the Dyatlov Pass Incident, so I was immediately hooked when I heard that Renny was making a horror movie using it as the gotcha.

It looks like I am already a film behind.  Not only will I have to watch Contracted, I will have to check out the sequel that was released back in 2015