DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

I'm watching From Beyond the Grave. I love Amicus portmanteau horror and I haven't seen this one yet. 

I've never seen David Warner in anything pre-90s. It's weird to see him look just as pompous and academic in the 70s but with a mod hairdo and sideburns. He's being compelled to sacrifice women to a Haunted Mansion style ghoul in an antique mirror.  Was Peter Cushing really short or is Warner 7 feet tall? 

The framing device is sort of weird. All of the characters meet their fate because they screw Peter Cushing's antique shop owner out of money. Two of the stories are directly related to the items purchased and the other two aren't. So I guess it's not a Friday the 13th the Series/Needful Things scenario as much as it's that Cushing is a malevolent wizard hiding in plain sight doling out paranormal justice. 

Anyway, I'm glad I caught it. TCM is bringing it this Halloween.

• Like 2

Warner was the photographer? I've seen all of the Omens and remake once and they've all homogenized in my brain.

He was in Time Bandits?! 

Okay, I looked it up and I feel a little better that he's almost unrecognizable as Evil Genius. 

I was pretty happy with the ending for Channel Zero: No-End House. 

Lots of poetic justice and stuff.

Spoiler

I knew that Seth was a douchebag, but the reveal that he was luring girls into the house to take advantage of them was pretty disturbing.  Even more so given that he used the house to keep the women docile thanks to their personal memory eaters making them forget about their lives in the outside world.

The face turn for the Father thing was pretty awesome.  It was strangely satisfying to see Seth's personal memory eaters create a lake of black goo in the cul de sac when they started gorging on his brain candy.  The fucking visuals did more to tell the story than the actual dialogue did.

So, Jules's memory eater was LITERALLY herself living inside the proverbial bubble and she regained her consciousness by literally and figuratively freeing her mind by "bursting the bubble." 

Also, it was clever how they showed just how far gone Margot was when Jules shows up on her doorstep covered in goo and the sight barely fazes Margot.

It was sad to see that the only way that Margot could reclaim her memories was to kill the Father thing, but it was also very symbolic of her coming to terms with her father's death.  I loved the simple ending:  two friends walking out of the exit.

Another excellent story comes to a close.  Looking forward to Butcher's Block in 2018.

Here is the obligatory Human Echoes recap:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Just discovered that Summer Blockbuster poll prize favorite Train to Busan is on Netflix streaming

It is a shame that this movie is ridiculously awesome and violent and sad. 

You will not be able to watch it with your kid in the room, and then he will walk into the room after you're done and he'll wonder why you're sitting there weeping for no apparent reason.

25 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

47 Meters Down is getting a sequel

Yes it is being called 48 Meters Down.

Release date is June 28, 2019

Only one meter further?

The sequel to 28 Days Later at least stretched out the measurement scale to 28 weeks later.

Watched Honeymoon which is on Netflix right now. It stars Rose Leslie, who was in Downton Abbey and Game of Thrones(you know nothing, Jon Snow). It's about a married couple on their...you guessed it... Honeymoon, at a cabin in the woods. Nothing good happens in cabins in the woods, and this one gets weird. 

I recommend it if you're looking for something to stream. It doesn't do the cheap and easy scares, instead opting for a slow build, and the finish is unsettling. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Watched Honeymoon which is on Netflix right now. It stars Rose Leslie, who was in Downton Abbey and Game of Thrones(you know nothing, Jon Snow). It's about a married couple on their...you guessed it... Honeymoon, at a cabin in the woods. Nothing good happens in cabins in the woods, and this one gets weird. 

I recommend it if you're looking for something to stream. It doesn't do the cheap and easy scares, instead opting for a slow build, and the finish is unsettling. 

Just watched it. So good!

• Like 1

On October 26 I was sitting at 25 movies and didn't think I'd get the 31 done; although, to be fair (to be faaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrr - Letterkenny), I haven't gotten close to 31 since 2014 (28 in 2015 and only 17 in 2016).

But in the past 48 hours I've watched 5 movies, leaving me one left and three days to complete the feat. Easy, peasy.

5 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

On October 26 I was sitting at 25 movies and didn't think I'd get the 31 done; although, to be fair (to be faaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrr - Letterkenny), I haven't gotten close to 31 since 2014 (28 in 2015 and only 17 in 2016).

But in the past 48 hours I've watched 5 movies, leaving me one left and three days to complete the feat. Easy, peasy.

Famous last words ....

Here's the list, if you care...

BACKCOUNTRY (2014) ... WATCHED: October 1 ... GRADE: B

SCOUTS GUIDE TO THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE (2015) ... WATCHED: October 1 ... GRADE: C+

SATANIC (2016) ... WATCHED: October 2 ... GRADE: C+

THE BYE BYE MAN (2017) ... WATCHED: October 3 ... GRADE: D

MONSTER TRUCKS (2016) ... WATCHED: October 4 ... GRADE: C+

MONSTER HOUSE (2006) ... WATCHED: October 6 ... GRADE: A

LITTLE EVIL (2017) ... WATCHED: October 7 ... GRADE: B

CULT OF CHUCKY (2017) ... WATCHED: October 8 ... GRADE: B-

DON'T KILL IT (2016) ... WATCHED: October 8 ... GRADE: D

WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS (2014) ... WATCHED: October 8 ... GRADE: C+

MERCY (2014) ... WATCHED: October 9 ... GRADE: C+

GARGOYLES (1972) ... WATCHED: October 10 ... GRADE: C

13 DEMONS (2016) ... WATCHED: October 10 ... GRADE: F

GOOSEBUMPS (2015) ... WATCHED: October 11 ... GRADE: B

LAKE PLACID (1999) ... WATCHED: October 12 ... GRADE: C+

THE NORLISS TAPES (1973) ... WATCHED: October 13 ... GRADE: B

HOLIDAYS (2016) ... WATCHED: October 14 ... GRADE: B

THE BLACK ROOM (2016) ... WATCHED: October 15 ... GRADE: D

PROJECT METALBEAST: DNA OVERLOAD (1995) ... WATCHED: October 15 ... GRADE: D

THE LAZARUS EFFECT (2015) ... WATCHED: October 16 ... GRADE: A

THE BABYSITTER (2017) ... WATCHED: October 18 ... GRADE: A

THE REZORT (2015) ... WATCHED: October 22 ... GRADE: D

STAKE LAND (2010) ... WATCHED: October 24 ... GRADE: C-

STAKE LAND II: THE STAKELANDER (2017) ... WATCHED: October 24 ... GRADE: C

HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (1959) ... WATCHED: October 25 ... GRADE: C+

INCARNATE (2016) ... WATCHED: October 27 ... GRADE: B

HONEYMOON (2014) ... WATCHED: October 27 ... GRADE: A

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1990) ... WATCHED: October 28 ... GRADE: B

SHARKNANDO: THE 4th AWAKENS (2016) ... WATCHED: October 28 ... GRADE: C-

XX (2017) ... WATCHED: October 28 ... GRADE: A

FRIDAY THE 13th, PART V: A NEW BEGINNING (1985) ... WATCHED: October 29 ... GRADE: B

FUN FACTS: October 15 was clearly a bad day for me, which may or may not have affected the grading of The Lazarus Effect. Also, The Bye Bye Man has a fan page and they shared my review...even though my review reads:

This movie takes a premise that's been used before (mentioning a supernatural evil's name and inadvertantly bringing it to life to make your own life a damn nightmare), and doesn't really do much with it. The actors aren't very good, the plot is thin, the characters are all poorly developed, and the movie is pretty paint-by-numbers. One or two decent jump scares early, but nothing happens to make this movie a memorable one.

Favorite movie this year was a toss-up between Honeymoon and XX (which is a great 4-part anthology film), with The Babysitter very close behind. 13 Demons was the only movie I actively hated myself for watching through to the end, as it was just so poorly written.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1