DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

Watched Creep 2 at Chicago International Film Festival last night. Director Patrick Brice was there and did a little Q&A. It's funnier than the first one, and I wanted more uncomfortable scary. But Mark Duplass being weird is so fun to watch. 

Should be available on Netflix tomorrow. 

Dawn Of The Mummy? Isn't that the piece of shit where the mummies (that act like zombies) don't show up to munch on people until the final ten minutes? Like literally the only thing that happens in between Eurotrash dipshit models posing in the desert is rats jumping on dipshits that disturbed the mummy's tomb.  It's a contender alright; for most tedious dung heap lumped in with the likes of Oasis of the Zombies. I remember thinking drinking would help but then I realized I wasted all that booze waiting for some shit to go down. I guess that's all in the experience of watching these things though.  

I dunno, I loved it as a kid. The mummy grabs people and their skin immediately starts melting! That's awesome. The zombie massacre at the end was the cherry on top. But you love trash like that when you're a kid and your parents think you're watching some crap mummy flick but it's really a gorefest. A crap gorefest, but a gorefest nonetheless.

• Like 2

So, Happy Death Day was really good.  Not a masterpiece, but a very entertaining afternoon at the movies.

There are some scenes of violence and the usual slasher movie tension building red herrings, but nothing too gory.  I probably could've taken my horror loving teenage daughter to this and not have been considered to be an irresponsible father.

Let's not get things twisted; this movie is the Jessica Rothe show for sure.  There would be no movie without her range and cute charisma.

As for the premise.

Spoiler

The time loop is finite to an extent.

Every time she "wakes up" from another death, her body shows the trauma from the previous murder so if she continues to get killed, eventually her physical condition will be so deteriorated that her body will wear out and she will die in transition rather than wake up and experience the temporal loop again.

The twist is pretty clever, but the mystery that is here to be solved is kinda routine.,

You'll probably pick out the guilty party from the gathering of usual suspects almost immediately before the murders even begin.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:10 PM, jaedmc said:

Also saw LIFE, with Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds. Great first 30 minutes. Then it grinded its gears for 45 minutes and came up with the weakest Gotcha's ever.

LIFE is on the rotation on STARZ! now.  Thanks for letting me know I can skip it.

You'd probably be the more frustrated with it than I was. 

The whole first half I was like "This isn't bad." Then as it was getting ready for the third act I felt this wave of disappointment as I realized what it was starting to do.

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I dunno, I loved it as a kid. The mummy grabs people and their skin immediately starts melting! That's awesome. The zombie massacre at the end was the cherry on top. But you love trash like that when you're a kid and your parents think you're watching some crap mummy flick but it's really a gorefest. A crap gorefest, but a gorefest nonetheless.

Yeah, that reminds me of when I was a kid and my pill-popping uncle was living with my family for a spell, he'd always watch the late night horror movie. I remember being about four and seeing what seemed like the wickedest shit; something involving gory decapitations with a guillotine and hunchbacks. Unless somebody has a playlist for WPTY's (Memphis) late night horror show circa '84-'85, I'll never know what the hell that was. My guess it was probably just some Andy Milligan schlock.

Dawn of the Mummy must have really bogged me down or else that melting scene happened real early in the movie, probably to the same guides who had the rats leap on them. I don't remember shit like that. I remember the cherry on the top being the only gorehound nourishment.  The ending is most definitely a gorefest. Mummies should've have taken some amphetamines to show up earlier in the movie and start noshing on fool ass peasants.

• Like 1

Hunchback of the Morgue by Paul Naschy, perhaps? That is a pretty nasty flick. 

The Devil's Candy was formulaic but solid. Family moves into house where nutbar killed his mother/"himself", the homicidal goober is still loose because the police are stupid, Satan is telling him what to do and he comes back to the house. The acting is really good in this one which saves it for the first half. The dad and daughter are bigtime metalheads which of course appeals to me and he's also a painter who is (duh) struggling; Satan makes him do some gnarly artwork and for most of the film he looks like he's going to weep. Gomer Pyle in the red jumpsuit is probably the best thing in the movie because he actually looks like some overweight, towering creep that would cave your head in with a rock. How the police can't find him and nobody except ONE. PERSON. calls the cops on this gigantic, blood and dirt covered sack of shit who is clearly mentally ill in every social situation is beyond me though. 

• Like 1

I caught Diary of a Madman on TCM tonight. Not too remarkable other than Price being really great as always and Nancy Kovak being delightful. I had to look up her credits to see where I knew her from; among a lot of TV credits, she's Darren's ex-fiancé and Sam's foil in season one of Bewitched. I'd never really thought about it, but watching this made me realize that  for decades most horror movies ended with a bunch of old men sitting around and basically going, "so...that happened." 

• Haha 1

I watched Gerald's Game on Netflix last night.

Mike Flanagan did a SUPERP job.  This is my fourth favorite SK adaptation behind The Dead Zone, The Stand mini-series, and the reboot of IT!

But yeah, it is as hard to watch as the trailer implies.

I had a lot to do last night (I think my Pop's dementia is getting worse.. :( ), so I flipped on Gerald's Game to get immersed and distracted for a bit and completely brainfarted on last night being the season finale for Channel Zero:  No-End House. 

I'll watch it tonight and post thoughts tomorrow.

• Sad 1

The teaser trailer for Season Four, Butcher's Block, is already up.

It appears to be based on the eight-part creepypasta from the searchandrescuewoods Reddit page.

The entire creeppypasta collection is featured in this YouTube vid (it's over two hours long):

Too Long / Didn't Listen:  As I suspected, the Reddit does include the "Stairs In The Woods" story, but the story that CZ's next season will focus on is the titular "Butcher's Block."

Just finished No-End House. One of the hardest things to do as a storyteller when creating a new monster or supernatural entity is crafting a set of rules for how it works and following them to their inevitable conclusion. They did a good job creating an inherent logic within the universe without sacrificing a sense of mystery about what exactly was happening.

There are some aspects that make me like the first season a bit more, but one thing this has going for it is that there isn't a single bad performance. John Carroll Lynch is always dependable, but all of the younger actors are tasked with way more dialogue and emotional nuance than most horror projects, and they're note-perfect. I could see any one of them (or all of them) having very bright futures. 

I think Channel Zero works really well because it starts with a simple conceit of powerful evocative imagery from the Creepypasta stories and then has powerful writing build a world around it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I had a meeting at Georgetown yesterday and due to google maps, ended up accidentally finding and walking up the Exorcist Steps.

Well, at least you followed them up rather than following them down like Father Karras did.

I went to the big memorial gathering at the Exorcist Steps when Blatty passed away earlier this year. 

It was very communal and comforting yet creepy at the same time.

• Like 1

When I worked at Georgetown - I took the Exorcist stairs on more than one occasion.

Walking them in a snow storm was of the legit most terrifying things I've done in my life

• Like 2