DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

Saw this on Facebook and thought it was pretty neat: 

(John Larroquette on how he was 'hired' to do the opening narration on 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.')

"Summer of 1969, I was living in Colorado in a very small town up in the mountains. A friend of the fellow for whom I worked had a friend come up from Texas to spend some time. That friend turned out to be Tobe Hooper, who was the writer and director of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. This was long before he was going to do the movie. We spent some time in the mountains together, doing what people did in the '60s in the mountains... Enjoying the beauty of the mountains. And Tobe and I really hit it off. It was a really short time we spent in the mountains together. He was really there for a vacation. I spent about a year. Anyway, fast-forward to 1974, when I moved to Los Angeles to pursue an acting career through the same fellow whom I had worked for in Colorado. I got a call and he said, "Listen, remember my friend Tobe, yadda-yadda, he just made this film, and he wants to talk to you." So I talked to Tobe, and he had no money. He said, "I need a favor." And I said, "Yeah, I'd be happy to." I was a DJ in the '60s, so I had already worked with my voice. A lot of people knew that I at least had decent chops when it came to speaking the English language. I went into a studio, saw the piece of paper, read it for him, recorded it, said adios, he gave me a joint, I think as payment, and that was that. And later on, the film came out and I didn't really pay attention to it. I've never seen it. It sort of became the cult hit. And then it becomes sort of a preamble to my résumé, after all the years I've been acting and everything I've done. But as all things happen in this world, you never know how nature and the universe are going to treat you. Years later, when they re-did it, when they re-imagined it again without Tobe, I was called in to do the narration again, and actually got paid really well for it. So a favor I did in the '70s for a friend for no money came full circle, and I actually made a great deal of money from it later on." -John Larroquette

(me again: HE NEVER WATCHED THE FUCKING MOVIE?!?!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, Raw was pretty fucking great. Far funnier than you would expect from the stories about people running out of the theater and puking -- it really isn't even that gross. Insofar as a story about cannibalism is, anyway. If you want to dig into the subtext (which one of my friends that I went with is unfortunately unable to do), then there's all kinds of stuff about repression in French society, college/uni society, families -- how people end up sometimes literally eating you alive. It's very smart, VERY droll, and also very gross. Highest recommendation. 

The Love Witch ended up being switched to next week because nobody wants to sit through that late of a double bill and they also had a huge turnout for the free Raw. Announced for the October horror jaunt so far are some real gems: Return of the Living Dead with Linnea Quigley appearance (!), Hooper's Eaten Alive (!!), and fucking TALES FROM THE HOOD (!!!). The college kids popped best for Eraserhead but that's small potatoes to me. 

EDIT: Oh, we did have a few walk-outs during Raw, which pleased me to no end. I should've thrown popcorn at them but I'm a nice guy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am all caught up on my creepy ARGs:  Petscop and ECKVA.

I caught a matinee of Annabelle Creation on Friday afternoon.  It's pretty decent.

Spoiler

I wonder how much "truth" there is to it though.  The movie sets up the idea that the demon, Valek, from The Conjuring 2 is the evil entity that inhabits the doll.

I try not to follow the Warren's escapades, but I am curious how much of this movie is documented as questionable fact or is this movie setting up a fictionalized "Warrenverse" that tries to link all of the Conjuring related properties under one roof with Valek as the primary antagonist?

I suppose it is just a matter of time before Valek becomes the arch villain in a semi-fictional adaptation of The Devil in Connecticut, as well as a do-over of A Haunting in Connecticut and The Haunting (based on the Smurl case).

Oh, and if you are a dumbass that hasn't seen The Babadook yet and are blessed to have access to the Showtime premium cable channels, it is on medium rotation and is also available on SHO On Demand.

Tobe Hooper made a movie about vampire aliens.  It was called Lifeforce.  

Mathilda May was Space Girl.  She was naked... a lot...  Many adolescent males reached puberty while watching this movie.

At some points, the funny feeling made you almost forgot it was a horror film.

Then, shit like this would happen..  to Patrick Stewart of all people..

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Aw fuck

The cosmos is not without a sense of irony since the director of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre passed away on the day before Ed Gein's birthday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Tobe Hooper made a movie about vampire aliens.  It was called Lifeforce.  

Mathilda May was Space Girl.  She was naked... a lot...  Many adolescent males achieved puberty while watching this movie.

Oh, and Tobe did this shit to Patrick Stewart to remind you that you were watching a horror film.

Which was based on THE SPACE VAMPIRES by Colin Wilson, no less.

;-)

• Like 1

More Tobe -- with Whoopi Goldberg?! (and VANITY)

EDIT: I've never seen that before and damn did it get gross, maybe up there with the Steve Buscemi episode where he contracted that virus in the jungle. Not THAT gross, but close. And you get to look at nekkid Vanity so it's win-win

• Like 2

Salem's Lot, which I haven't watched all the way through in years, was also really good. It reminded me of a lot of other movies. 

1. The walk through the house is absolutely Texas Chainsaw

2. The whole character of Straker and his finale was stolen for Fright Night

3. The end of the film is basically The Terminator. I think James Cameron might owe King royalties.

And the Hammer horror references are everywhere. Also, Elisha Cook Jr., Geoffrey Lewis, Kenneth McMillan (Baron Harkonnen in Dune!), and Fred Willard playing a scared cheater running around in his underpants were awesome to see

• Like 2

And Kurt Barlow is Count Orlock from Nosferatu!

I didn't really care for Tobe's interpretation 'Salem Lot at first, but it has grown on me over time.

I still commit the blasphemy of giving a slight edge to the 2004 miniseries.  The ending is a bit of a letdown but how bad can it be when Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones is jamming during the final credits?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT: I've never seen that before and damn did it get gross, maybe up there with the Steve Buscemi episode where he contracted that virus in the jungle. Not THAT gross, but close. And you get to look at nekkid Vanity so it's win-win

Forever Ambergris was a great episode!  BEST WIFE EVER~!

My second favorite episode of Masters Of Horror:  Season One...

Adopted from a short story by Richard Matheson and turned into a screenplay by Matheson's son; Richard Christian Matheson.

My favorite episode from Season One was Cigarette Burns by John Carpenter.

• Like 1

Tobe Hooper's entry for Masters of Horror:  Season Two.

Inspired by the short story by Ambrose Bierce.  Once again, Hooper directed and Richard Christian Matheson handled the writing.

I had no idea he shot that Billy Idol video either, and even more surprisingly have never seen it! Further proof that the '80s were an era where you could get away with having dancing punk zombies in the video for a song about masturbation. Dig how he had the laughing mannequin thing from The Funhouse in it. 

I finally got to watch the horror anthology, Southbound, while I was working on a few things on shift. 

It was a bit more surreal than I expected it to be and it's not a traditional horror anthology, but pretty good overall and very creepy.

That missile was launched ahead of the scheduled live fire drills that conclude the big exercise.  The NKs will posture and say that the SK's concluded their exercise early in response to the missile launch and the SKs will deny.

This shit has ended like this every August for the past nine years.

• 2 weeks later...

Annabelle Creation was not evolutionary or revolutionary, but it was a solid horror film.  I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly shocked.

IT opens in theaters tomorrow.  So far the movie has a 89% Fresh rating at RT, so I am cautiously optimistic that it will be decent.

I will probably go to see it on Saturday during a matinee.

mother! opens on September 15th,