DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

On 7/18/2017 at 7:45 AM, J.T. said:

Why are all subsequent Chainsaw Massacre movies so gory?  The original is about as bloodless as a slasher movie can possibly be.

It's one of the few qualities that I actually love about the first film.

Allow me to be simplistic about this eef youuu weeeell... How about: "Shitty writers and shitty directors do not understand less is more!"  This comes from someone who once carried the label of one half of the "tag-team champions of hardcore horror". Yeah, I know all about being graphic as fuck, the thing is Edward Lee and I weren't being serious, what we were doing was satire and we were having a blast playing "can you top this" ...  I got bored with that in around 2000 and discovered I could get a lot more mileage out of hinting at things and then letting the reader fill in the blanks with something far more awful than anything I could come up with. I'm working on a piece now that's the first significant fiction I've started after the coma in 2014 and it's turning out to be a bitch as I keep lapsing into doing the stuff that I know is wrong, like telling rather than showing and providing graphic descriptions rather than letting you fill in the blanks. I'll get it right by the deadline because that's how I roll, I just wish that I had another thirty days to get it right so that I didn't have to scramble. 

Back to my original point, 90% of screenwriters and directors wouldn't even understand that there was a problem with what I'm agonizing over.                 

• Like 1

Being involved in the punk scene for years I wanted to hate it when the band didn't know better to get out of dodge ASAP as soon as they saw (literally) the writing on the wall, but when the shit hit the fan I was all in. One of the best thrillers in a long time. Is it horror? I guess you can take that up with someone that'll put Deliverance on The List. 

• Like 3

Toronto Film Festival announced their Midnight Madness lineup today.  Not all horror, but many are.

Bodied
A satirical exploration of the world's most artistically brutal sport — battle rapping — from music video director Joseph Kahn, based on a script by Toronto rapper Alex Larsen (Kid Twist) and produced by Eminem.

Brawl In Cell Block 99
Vince Vaughn, Jennifer Carpenter, and Don Johnson star in this bloody thriller from Bone Tomahawk writer-director S. Craig Zahler, in which a former boxer turned drug runner lands in a prison battleground after a deal gets deadly.

The Crescent
The trio behind 2012’s fever dream–like Lowlife return with a hallucinatory story focused on a woman and her child enveloped by an eerie atmosphere and creeping dread upon retreating to a remote coastal estate.

The Disaster Artist
James Franco directs this giddy tribute to eccentric filmmaker Tommy Wiseau and his best friend, actor Greg Sestero, whose notoriously awful film The Room has become one of the most beloved cult classics of all time.

Downrange
Stranded at the side of the road after a tire blowout, a group of friends become targets for an enigmatic sniper, in this wickedly entertaining bloodbath from Midnight Madness regular Ryuhei Kitamura (Versus).

Let The Corpses Tan
Absconding with a truckload of stolen gold, a gang of thieves engages in a desperate, day-long firefight with pursuing cops through the ruins of a remote Mediterranean hamlet, in this deliriously stylish thriller from Hélène Cattet and Bruno Forzani (The Strange Color of Your Body’s Tears).

Mom and Dad
Nicolas Cage and Selma Blair star in this pitch-black horror-comedy about a worldwide mass hysteria where, for 24 brutal hours, parents turn violently against their own children. (SKoS note: This is over 2 hours long for some reason...?)

Revenge
Never take your mistress on an annual guys’ getaway, especially one devoted to hunting — a violent lesson for three wealthy married men, in writer-director Coralie Fargeat's feature debut.

The Ritual
Venturing into the wilderness of the Swedish highlands to perform a remembrance for a dearly departed friend, four men are subjected to a night of terror when they unwisely take refuge in a derelict house.

Vampire Clay
Japanese director and master makeup artist Soichi Umezawa gives life to a plasticine demon that subsequently devours the denizens of a rural art school.

• Like 1

Cross pollinated from the Upcoming Movies thread.

mother! 

Starring:

Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Michelle Pfeiffer, Ed Harris, Kristen Wiig, et al stacked cast.

The deets:

A couple's relationship is tested when uninvited guests arrive at their home, disrupting their tranquil existence.

It's scheduled to compete for the Golden Lion in the 74th Venice International Film Festival and should have a wide release by September 15th.

• Like 1

Just watched Julia Ducournau's Raw. Fantastic. It feels like a better-made Ginger Snaps, as it covers a lot of similar themes. Beautifully shot and well acted. It's not scary -- it's more of a body horror piece -- but it has some nice gore (for those looking for such things). 

DGmcKPnVoAEYsMf.jpg

• Like 2

Raw is playing for FREE at the local Art (back to back with The Love Witch!) so my Wednesday after work is gonna be a late one. 

Annabelle: Creation got the King Fowley from Deceased, October 31, etc. stamp of approval (82 out of 100) and when that crazy old goof likes a new horror flick, chances are it's pretty good. 

Not too bad, I guess. King is one of the most opinionated people I've ever met (and he also owns literally thousands of horror VHS, DVDs, posters, artifacts, etc. -- his old home was like the Ackermansion only with music alongside the rest) and when something gets over 50 from him it's a good sign. In his own words: 

"ANNABELLE CREATION. hated the first one quite a lot. was super stupid and super tired blah. this one is much more in the right direction. more atmosphere and a much better idea/storyline. its far from great but i did enjoy it. played much more serious and dark than the first one and that helped it tremendously. definitely worth a watch! 84 out of 100"

He shat all over The Void and Get Out, btw haha

I watched Annabelle Creation the other night at an advanced screening, I'm not much of a horror guy and this was the first horror I saw at the theatre since The Ring but I really dug the atmosphere and the tale. Kinda reminded me of Texas Chainsaw in a way. It does tend to over rely on jump scares during the first half but I think that helps in getting you ready to be scared. I gave it 14.8 stars out of 21.2

Like I said, he's opinionated haha. It's gotten him in trouble in the underground metal scene for years because he will call anyone out on their shit no matter who they are or who they "think" they are. That's not to say his opinions are always right of course, but anybody who pimps Let's Scare Jessica To Death and Dark Night of the Scarecrow as much as he does knows his horror. 

• Like 1

I should mention that he's also trying to re-release obscure horror flicks from the '70s/'80s (TV movies, stuff that basically he could find the rights to for a dime that he remembers from his youth) and release them on DVD as Fowley Films. I've never even HEARD of the stuff he's trying to release

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I should mention that he's also trying to re-release obscure horror flicks from the '70s/'80s (TV movies, stuff that basically he could find the rights to for a dime that he remembers from his youth) and release them on DVD as Fowley Films. I've never even HEARD of the stuff he's trying to release

He needs to put Gargoyles on DVD for me to keep for all posterity.