J.T.

The All Things HORROR thread~!

1,290 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The story in the story of Wizard and Glass is my favorite thing he's written. Otherwise, Road Work.

Wizard & Glass and then The Running Man. 

Every short story In Night Shift is nearly note perfect. The Jaunt still remains one of the most terrifying stories I've ever read and it is fucking speculative fiction / sci-fi.

22 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Wait wait wait wait... You did not just rank any of those final three books over Wizard & Glass, the best thing Stephen King ever wrote, did you?

I'll admit I'm probably unfairly maligning what I do think is a very good story on its own merits there because of my basic distaste for a flashback conceit dominating Book IV of a series (and likewise crediting Book V too much as a return to forward progress for the narrative) when I just wanted to get to the damn Tower.

16 minutes ago, Cyanide said:

I'll admit I'm probably unfairly maligning what I do think is a very good story on its own merits there because of my basic distaste for a flashback conceit dominating Book IV of a series (and likewise crediting Book V too much as a return to forward progress for the narrative) when I just wanted to get to the damn Tower.

Oh shit, good point about that.  I remember reading book 4 in 97 when book 3 had come out in 1991.  So I'd actually finished high school and gone completely through college between books!  I remember reading chapter 1 and thinking , "okay, some flashbacks, then we'll go to the current story."  Then a few chapters later, ".....oh, okay then."

Universal Pictures and Sony Pictures’ Insidious: Chapter 4 will move from October 20, 2017 to Friday, January 5, 2018. The film takes the place of the previously-announced “Untitled Blumhouse Horror Project.” Meanwhile, Universal Pictures’ Half to Death, also from Blumhouse, will be released on Friday, October 20, 2017. The Chapter 4 release date makes it the only movie currently sitting on that post-New Year’s date. Half to Death will open against the Gerard Butler sci-fi thriller Geostorm, the Idris Elba romance The Mountain Between Us, and the Greg Kinnear drama Same Kind of Different as Me.

Insidious started off as a good idea, but now it is one of those bad things that won't go away.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Insidious started off as a good idea, but now it is one of those bad things that won't go away.

I've enjoyed all three so far but I'm apparently a shitty barometer, as I've liked every Terminator movie as well.

The scene in Insidious 3 where The Man Who Can't Breathe stalks the girl in her room is one of the best horror scenes I've seen in a while, particularly because it was so drawn out.  In the current jump scare environment, you keep thinking the scene will end, but it just keeps going until maybe you pee a bit.

1 person likes this

Yeah. I've enjoyed every Insidious movie so far. I think Vol. 4 is definitely a stretch, but until they put out one that outright sucks I'll keep giving them the benefit of the doubt and checking it out.

All the Stephen King talk reminded me that in a recent edition of Battle Royale I got from the library, author Koushun Takami notes that King is one of his big influences to the point that the fictional district the kids come from is literally just Japanese for Castle Rock. He also talks about wrestling and AJPW a lot (Jumbo Tsuruta and Stan Hansen are his favourite wrestlers of all time) so generally I feel like the board would enjoy the author's notes in that one.

The new Alien: Covenant trailer on TV features a Willie Nelson song. Way to go. Having that along with a CGI Xenomorph headbutting a spaceship while Mr. Eastbound and Down freaks out has officially taken the piss out of what might be a decent horror film. So much for that terrifying poster and the shower scene...

EDIT: Note, I love Willie, but this is improper usage to say the least

Hounds of Love

Directed by Ben Young and starring (not that) Stephen Curry, Emma Booth, and Ashleigh Cummings.

Another genre bending Aussie movie like The Babadook that will end up being called a horror film before its all said and done.

18 hours ago, J.T. said:

Hounds of Love

Directed by Ben Young and starring (not that) Stephen Curry, Emma Booth, and Ashleigh Cummings.

Another genre bending Aussie movie like The Babadook that will end up being called a horror film before its all said and done.

I am conflicted, I saw no evidence of shoes being thrown into a lake in the trailer for this film.

Saw The Void at the theater last night and it was really fun. It made no sense and nothing was explained but that was kind of the point. Very much a blender-whirl of The Thing, Assault on Precinct 13 (except you don't end up caring about any of the characters), Event Horizon (yep), and The Beyond. 

Oh and I forgot about Prince of Darkness and any H.P. Lovecraft anthology you care to toss in the blender. That makes it sound better than it is, but like I said, still fun. It's also super cool to have practical and CG effects actually match each other for quality in a film. They were used exactly where they belonged and Rob Zombie can't even get that right. 

The effects in The Void were gorgeous, and the atmosphere was well done, but both the characters and the story were shit. Sad, really.

I loved The Void. Plot was total nonsense, there were no rules, and nothing was ever explained or earned, but it was so bonkers and gave so little fucks and took itself so seriously it worked. 

There was a point where it cut to the triangle and the voice over said "what do you see?" And it lingered on it so long I was convinced it was the end of the movie. I thought what a powerful ending and then it kept going and got weirder!

i dragged my daughter who never read a description or watched the trailer and she came out raving about just how cool it was. 

And I cared about Kim and the Son.