DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

I'm heartened by the inclusion of A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night but Jennifer's Body?  Seriously? 

I love Diablo Cody's wit and dry humor, but no kid on earth talks like the kids in her work do.

So for all of us who enjoyed Marble Hornets and were sad to see Clear Lakes 44 fall apart, it seems a new series has risen from the ashes:ECKVA.  Of course the always entertaining NightMind is here to sum up the events to date.

• Like 1

If the Horror GOAT Poll ever comes to be, a very respectable short list list of foreign horror films has been compiled into a slideshow at iMDB of all places to serve as a reference for stuff that is worth checking out.

Scary Good!

On 3/21/2017 at 0:55 PM, J.T. said:

If the Horror GOAT Poll ever comes to be, a very respectable short list list of foreign horror films has been compiled into a slideshow at iMDB of all places to serve as a reference for stuff that is worth checking out.

Scary Good!

I don't think I would have put a Female Convict Scorpion entry on the list, over literally anything else they could have put there.  But not bad, otherwise.

God help you if you didn't set your DVRs to get nearly everything on Turner Classic Movies from 8PM last night up until 8PM EST tonight.

For a second, I thought there was a Halloween marathon going on.

14 hours ago, nate said:

I don't think I would have put a Female Convict Scorpion entry on the list, over literally anything else they could have put there.  But not bad, otherwise.

The FCS movies are more of exploitation than horror IMO, but the definition really blurs in the second and third installments.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I hate Maryland.  Prevenge is showing no where near me during the limited release this weekend.

Raw's NYC & LA-only limited release has me chewing on my own fingers.  It's not on VOD until late May!  Argh!

• Like 1

I'm far from saying this is gonna be good, but I'm certain it'll probably be fun. NSFW

Also, I came upon this from watching the trailer for Don't Be Bad which was Italy's entry for Best Foreign Film at the 2015 Oscars. Which is just now getting a stateside release. There isn't any greater sign that Italian cinema is on life support than that. For fuck's sake we've already got a second Trainspotting coming out and it took you THAT long?!

So yeah, last October I reviewed Cellar Dweller for last year's Halloween dealie.

Cellar+Dweller+1988+movie+poster.jpg

And this morning I checked the upcoming schedule for the Comet Network and guess what is on their late night rotation?

833-1.jpg

It will probably be edited into oblivion, but at least someone had the campy good taste (bad taste?) to put this back on television.

I'm stunned that this showed up on Comet before it showed up on El Rey.

First trailer for It aka Stranger Things With An Evil Clown.

So the first movie is going to consist entirely of the Losers Club as kids and be set in the 80s instead of the 50s.

This doesn't look awful, but doesn't look that good either.  Then again I didn't really like the tv series, mainly because you can't capture a nearly 1000 page novel in that short a time frame.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2017 at 8:09 PM, New Blood said:

http://theyshootzombies.com/ghf1000/

Just like They Shoot Pictures Don't They? This is the Top 1000 Horror Films.

If this board does the horror project that Rippa said might happen, this would be a great guide.

Yup - we all need to bookmark this as a reference point for when we start arguing over what is and isn't horror

2 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

This doesn't look awful, but doesn't look that good either.  Then again I didn't really like the tv series, mainly because you can't capture a nearly 1000 page novel in that short a time frame.

But you can capture how much I hate fucking clowns

I am amused that three of us have posted that trailer and all three of us posted it from a different source

I didn't even realize the IT being released in September is only part one.  I long for the days when sequels/trilogies/shared universes were considered after the first film made a few bucks.  I know the film industry is about commerce and not art but you don't have to rub it in my face.

Also, I love @HumanChessgame's description "Stranger Things With An Evil Clown."

• Like 2

That trailer for IT isn't as horrible as I expected it to be.  I think this project will run into the same problems as the mini series.  IIRC, this is supposed to be a two parter and I am not sure that two movies will do the story real justice.

They seem to be on the right track with Pennywise, though.  I am not afraid of clowns and even I am a little freaked out by that thing.

The time bump really doesn't bother me.  That just means that the showdown will happen in the present day rather than the 80's.

On 3/30/2017 at 3:16 AM, Brian Fowler said:

As long as they still have the good taste to leave out the pre teen orgy, I'm good.

Yeah, King does three things rather poorly in his novels:  endings, ethnicity, and sex.

I can't think of too many healthy examples of sex between consenting adults in his books (Pet Semetary, Christine, and maybe Carrie), but Holy Shit the examples of stomach churning deviant sexual behavior in his work would make for a list that is a mile long.

King is a gracious and likeable man that comes across as something of a lunkhead in public, but to read some of his books you'd think he absolutely despises all non-whites.

I know from interviews with King that he likes to portray some of his antagonists as racists in order to emphasize their malevolence (think Todd Bowden and Arthur Denker from Apt Pupil), but he really does go overboard with it on occasion..

• Like 1

Well, you probably know already that A Cure For Wellness bombed horribly.  Not even naked Mia Goth in a bathtub full of snakes could save this thing, and Lord knows she tried her very best to rescue this movie.

It was one of those movies that tried to do a lot of things great, but didn't do any of them well.  It also doesn't help that it meanders through a two hour runtime and has a really lackluster ending.

Too bad, really.  A nice and tight ninety minute runtime would've made this monstrosity feel like a different movie.