DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

I saw Trey Edward Shults's debut movie, Krisha, and he's really good at shaping intimate moments into either beautiful, heartbreaking, or horrific events. 

He works wonders with a small cast and a micro budget, so I am expecting good things from It Comes At Night.

I just watched Resolution, without a clue what it was about or even what genre it was. I just remembered I had it lying around for some reason.

I'm not sure what to think of it. I definitely liked the two characters and the chemistry they had together. I rooted for them and enjoyed their conversations. The story itself (beyond the underlying theme)... I don't know. It definitely needs a second viewing in the near future. There were so many different things going on with so many different possibilities and, consequently, the ending was disappointing because the writers forced themselves to pick one. I think, in the end, it felt conceptually like The Cabin in the Woods but much less gimmicky and more sincere. Less campy humour and more lightheartedness, which is the way I like it. Yeah, I think I like this movie, but I'm not sure to what gradation. A very pleasant surprise either way.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2017 at 4:50 PM, RIPPA said:

It Follows is one that all the kids were talking about from last year and Google tells me it is on Canadian Netflix (it is definitely on American Netflix)

Can confirm it's on Canadian Netflix and also recommend.

I haven't seen it myself yet but The Witch got a lot of hype and is also on there.

Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett’s DVD commentary on Blair Witch is so disheartening to listen to, though.

Not kidding, every other line is a remark about how poorly it did at the box office or the critics hating it.

Not that I expect them to say: “It did amazingly well and everyone loved it!” but, um, guys, maybe, as artists, you shouldn’t be shitting on your own work? 

Especially, like, if me, you thought it was quite a good and intriguing film that raises many questions. Hence why I bought the DVD. 

The sad thing is: They mention they are recording the commentary only two weeks after it came out.  How can you judge any film’s long-term impact after two frigging weeks? (And I could be wrong, but it was so low budget I’m fairly sure it will make a good profit when all is said and done.)

They were too harsh on themselves, IMO. Also, as they imply: Probably high.

Not a good commentary.

15 hours ago, Reed said:

Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett’s DVD commentary on Blair Witch is so disheartening to listen to, though.

Not kidding, every other line is a remark about how poorly it did at the box office or the critics hating it.

Not that I expect them to say: “It did amazingly well and everyone loved it!” but, um, guys, maybe, as artists, you shouldn’t be shitting on your own work? 

Especially, like, if me, you thought it was quite a good and intriguing film that raises many questions. Hence why I bought the DVD. 

The sad thing is: They mention they are recording the commentary only two weeks after it came out.  How can you judge any film’s long-term impact after two frigging weeks? (And I could be wrong, but it was so low budget I’m fairly sure it will make a good profit when all is said and done.)

They were too harsh on themselves, IMO. Also, as they imply: Probably high.

Not a good commentary.

Leigh Whannell wrote an essay on his now defunct blog entitled Dud Silence:  The Hellish Experience Of Making A Bad Horror Film and it was very enlightening. 

I think that guys like Wingard and Barrett are keenly aware that they're being asked by producers and studio execs with money to burn and tax liabilities to balance to bring a really bad idea to life, but they do it anyway because they are professionals and bills gotta be paid.

I don't think that Wingard and Barrett went into BW determined to make a bad movie, but I am fairly certain that they'd rather be coming up with new ideas rather than trying breathe life into old ones.

That is a bit naive though because there is tons of money to be made from nostalgia, especially when it comes to horror films.

The weird thing is: They don't actively shit on the movie or the studio. Oh, they acknowledge the flaws, but they admit themselves they are rather proud of it and think everyone did a great job. I think they were enthusiastic. 

But it's like: "Well, critics and audiences rejected it, so it has to be bad! No matter what we think!"

Guys, maybe it wasn't. Again: Time bears these things out. 

I do personally think the last 20 minutes of that film were excellent. 

When you realize Lane was likely the one leaving the trinkets for the people in the first film. And maybe even killed Heather. That's a mind fuck.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:10 AM, Reed said:

The weird thing is: They don't actively shit on the movie or the studio. Oh, they acknowledge the flaws, but they admit themselves they are rather proud of it and think everyone did a great job. I think they were enthusiastic. 

But it's like: "Well, critics and audiences rejected it, so it has to be bad! No matter what we think!"

Are they being sarcastic, or do they actually sound like they agree with the assessments of the critics?

Happy Birthday, Don Coscarelli.

Angus is dead, yo.  Let's wrap up the Phantasm mythos, bro.  There ain't no Tall Man, but Angus.  If you CGI his face onto some other guy, I will be pissed off.

just watched "Trilogy of Terror", a made-for-tv horror flick from 1975. I assume most have seen this, but i had never heard of it and quite enjoyed it. Three shorts starring Karen Black. recommended.

about to check out the sequel, Trilogy of Terror II. It's from 1996. for a sequel 20 years in the making, i'm going in with pretty low expectations, but you never know.

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Trilogy is a must-watch for the Zuni fetish doll segment alone. The sequel is no great shakes.

The Battleground segment of the SK's Nightmares & Dreamscapes mini series is worth watching for William Hutt being awesome with ZERO SPOKEN DIALOGUE and the cameo of the Zuni fetish doll.

Wait, WHAT? They actually made a miniseries out of that and I don't even remember it?! Then again, I don't think I even had cable in 2006. 

"Battleground" is a cool story and I'm glad they pulled it out of Night Shift for an airing. "The End of the Whole Mess" sounds pretty interesting too; I forgot all about that story. The only ones I strongly remember from the collection are "The Moving Finger" and "Home Delivery" (which would make a great short film, especially given the popularity of The Walking Dead and zombies in general). 

EDIT: Apparently "Home Delivery" was optioned in 2009 and had a screenplay written for it

On 17/02/2017 at 3:32 PM, J.T. said:

Are they being sarcastic, or do they actually sound like they agree with the assessments of the critics?

They seem to like the film.

But they also acknowledge the problems they faced.

"If you didn't like the first one, you won't watch the sequel. If you did like the first one, you'll think the sequel is too different."

• Like 1