DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

I consider Personal Shopper

Personal_Shopper_poster.jpg

to be more of a psychological thriller than a horror movie, but it is currently on rotation on Showtime Networks & available through SHO On Demand and definitely worth a watch.  It will soon be released on Criterion Collection.

Also The Belko Experiment

The_Belko_Experiment_poster.jpg

is in Cinemax's rotation and available on Cinemax Go or whatever they call their On Demand service.  It ain't Rembrandt, but you don't need it to be.

mother! is now available in the PPV queue of your local cable provider.

Mother!2017.jpg

That Slumber movie looks no bueno. I don't think I've ever seen a good movie that feature night terrors or sleep paralysis as the hook. They're all corny and awful. Except for that one documentary. That was fun.

I watched The Green Inferno. It was not good. When did Eli Roth's movies start visually looking so cheap and bad? I'm not talking about the stuff in the jungle, but all the stuff in the first half. I don't remember Cabin Fever or Hostel looking this bad. I guess my favorite part was when the one girl had to take a massive shit and couldn't hold it and when she took a dump, this harrowing music played like she was getting sent to the gas chamber in Schindler's List. Terrible.

I am huge fan, but I don't consider that the same thing necessarily. Maybe it is or I misused night terrors.

Are their other good movies about people falling asleep and being unable to move?

The sequels are worthwhile just for the amazing special effects. Say what you want about the movie but when that girl gets transformed into a bug, it looks pretty incredible and holds up well today.

• Like 1

Yeah, wasn't that Screaming Mad George who did that one? I think 4 had like three different major FX departments working on it (just like 5 had three different major Splatterpunk authors writing it). 

EDIT: Good lord, I went to the iMDB page for 4. This is the list of effects people

Teresa M. Austin ... key hair stylist (as Teresa Austin)
Howard Berger ... makeup application: Freddy Krueger, Kevin Yagher Productions
R. Christopher Biggs ... additional makeup effects creator / key makeup effects: R. Chris Biggs EFX Shop / special makeup effects artist
John Carl Buechler ... special makeup effects artist
John Criswell ... makeup effects mechanical: R. Chris Biggs EFX Shop
Bill Forsche ... special makeup effects artist
Screaming Mad George ... makeup artist
Laura Gorman ... assistant makeup
Steve Johnson ... special makeup effects
Roger McCoin ... makeup effects mechanical: R. Chris Biggs EFX Shop
Bart Mixon ... special makeup effects artist
Suzanne Parker Sanders ... makeup department head
Dawn Schrum ... makeup
Julie Socash ... assistant hair stylist (as Julie Travis Socash)
Alicia M. Tripi ... hair stylist
Brian Wade ... special makeup effects artist
Jay Wellington ... hair
A.J. Workman ... makeup effects mechanical: R. Chris Biggs EFX Shop
Chris Yagher ... special make-up effects
Kevin Yagher ... makeup creator: Freddy Krueger / special makeup effects
Vera Yurtchuk ... makeup artist

That's quite the talent pool right there. The list for 5 is like ten times longer but it seems to be mostly KNB and "uncredited". And 5 was written by Craven, Skipp and Spector, and Leslie Bohem; I thought Dave Schow was in on a rewrite or two but he's unlisted. 

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I don't think I've ever seen a good movie that feature night terrors or sleep paralysis as the hook.

On the night terrors front, I can only think of the Elm Street movies and Wes Craven Presents:  THEY~!.

THEY~! is not entirely horrible but it ain't The Exorcist either and bad though they may be, I give most Elm Street sequels a pass for the same reason I give most F13 movies a pass aka the memorable body counts.

The "Welcome To Prime Time, Bitch!" scene from Elm Street / Dream Warriors still unnerves me to this very day.

As far as sleep paralysis goes, my brain only comes up with Dead Awake. 

Sleep paralysis is a story device in movies like The Conjuring, The Babadook, and one or two movies in the Phantasm franchise, but it's not hook of the plotline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

The sequels are worthwhile just for the amazing special effects. Say what you want about the movie but when that girl gets transformed into a bug, it looks pretty incredible and holds up well today.

I just watched Dream Master for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and that sequence was legitimately horrifying and wonderfully Cronenbergy. It's pretty wild that it's in the same movie as the Kung fu Freddy kill. 

Sadly, I've only seen about half of those. Most of them I would consider to be psychological thrillers, but damn near everything suspenseful or frightening is classified as horror these days.

Gerald's Game, It Comes At Night, and Raw are fucking awesome, BTW, and I should be getting the Criterion of The Lure as a Christmas present.

Hounds of Love and The Killing of a Sacred Deer are both on my Pile of Shame to be watched within the next few days.

Get Out! is an instant classic and deserves the #1 spot.

I have watched mother! three times now and I appreciate it a little more every time I see it.  It definitely requires multiple viewings because it is a movie to be studied and comprehended rather than a movie where I just sit by as mindless voyeur waiting to be entertained. 

And yeah, horrific things happen in mother!, but it's no more of a horror movie than Black Swan was.

Happy Death Day definitely should've made that list.  It should've been #2 as a matter of opinion because it was also fucking great. 

I'd probably have put Annabelle:  Creation in the third spot just because it was a major improvement over the first film in tone and story.

I enjoyed Lake Bodom (I was intrigued by the actual crimes the movie is based on, but that was a 2016 movie so it would not make my 2017 list.  Same for The Girl With All The Gifts, Split, and The Void; all excellent movies that are 2016 releases, not 2017.

• RIPPA locked this topic