DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:39 PM, thejoy93 said:

This has been my favorite genre so far. I prefer Asian horror movies. 

I assume you've already seen NOROI: The Curse so I can spare everyone my annual YOU NEED TO WATCH NOROI~! diatribe.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 12:30 PM, Marty Sugar said:

THE NORLISS TAPES (1973) puts me at the halfway mark (16 films) as of October 13. Motoring along!

P.S. Super-fun TV Pilot...such a shame it never got picked up as a show. Sure, the monster was hokey as fuck, but Roy Thinnes' narrative throughout was amazing.

God, I have not seen The Norliss Tapes in ages. 

That was back in the early to mid seventies when CBS and NBC were desperately trying to unseat ABC as the king of prime time horror programming.

Now I need to find those episodes of The Darkroom and Kolchak:  The Night Stalker my homie uploaded to YouTube.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:30 AM, Marty Sugar said:

THE NORLISS TAPES (1973) puts me at the halfway mark (16 films) as of October 13. Motoring along!

P.S. Super-fun TV Pilot...such a shame it never got picked up as a show. Sure, the monster was hokey as fuck, but Roy Thinnes' narrative throughout was amazing.

I saw your post and decided to watch this on a whim. Good stuff, especially for 1970s TV. The musical score was effectively creepy. Ah, the days when broadcast television actually put effort into what they offered. Though nostalgia channels are quite nice.

• Like 2

Curse of the Werewolf was a pretty (really) slow burn but I still think it's a fine film. A really sad one, too, and maybe the most serious out of all the old Hammers: it starts with

a starving beggar being imprisoned by a cruel, rich nobleman for no reason, ends up having a mute servant girl get imprisoned and raped by him after he goes insane after years in jail, she dies in childbirth having a baby that turns out to be a freakin' werewolf, and then he grows up to find out he can't stop killing people after he falls in love with a woman who's got an arranged marriage to a complete asshole! 

Woof (pardon the pun). 

Anyway, it stars a 22 year old Oliver Reed who is quite the beefcake for the era and a truly stunning Yvonne Romain as his mother who basically takes half the movie until the werewolf story starts. The adopted parents are particularly well acted too. There is one truly splattery moment for 1961 (!) that is one of the strongest until they started doing stuff like Scars of Dracula, and the makeup, though only getting like six minutes of screentime, is nice and original considering Universal actually offered Hammer the rights to The Wolf Man and they declined, deciding to film the novel The Werewolf of Paris instead. All in all if you can deal with the pacing, it's a very well developed, well done film and stands out strong in the Hammer canon.

EDIT: Also, trivia -- in typical Oliver Reed fashion (but perhaps only involving him drinking two doubles in the morning instead of four and maybe no sexual harassment... yet) he loved the makeup so much that he wore it not only to lunch at the craft service but also on the bus on the way home

• Like 1

Better Watch Out (originally titled "Safe Neighborhood", but they decided to play up the Christmas angle) is about a 12-year-old boy and his babysitter facing a home invasion during the holiday season.  That is, until it takes a big turn about 30 minutes in, and becomes less horror and more of a genre film.  I've seen it compared to a twisted version of Home Alone... and that's kind of accurate.  Sort of.  Liked it a little but felt very guilty about it.  Very good performance from the boy though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Curse of the Werewolf was a pretty (really) slow burn but I still think it's a fine film. A really sad one, too, and maybe the most serious out of all the old Hammers: it starts with

Reveal hidden contents

a starving beggar being imprisoned by a cruel, rich nobleman for no reason, ends up having a mute servant girl get imprisoned and raped by him after he goes insane after years in jail, she dies in childbirth having a baby that turns out to be a freakin' werewolf, and then he grows up to find out he can't stop killing people after he falls in love with a woman who's got an arranged marriage to a complete asshole! 

Woof (pardon the pun). 

Anyway, it stars a 22 year old Oliver Reed who is quite the beefcake for the era and a truly stunning Yvonne Romain as his mother who basically takes half the movie until the werewolf story starts. The adopted parents are particularly well acted too. There is one truly splattery moment for 1961 (!) that is one of the strongest until they started doing stuff like Scars of Dracula, and the makeup, though only getting like six minutes of screentime, is nice and original considering Universal actually offered Hammer the rights to The Wolf Man and they declined, deciding to film the novel The Werewolf of Paris instead. All in all if you can deal with the pacing, it's a very well developed, well done film and stands out strong in the Hammer canon.

EDIT: Also, trivia -- in typical Oliver Reed fashion (but perhaps only involving him drinking two doubles in the morning instead of four and maybe no sexual harassment... yet) he loved the makeup so much that he wore it not only to lunch at the craft service but also on the bus on the way home

Yeah it takes a really long time to get to the monster part and it is not as enjoyably schlocky as some of my favorite Hammer Studios horror films, but I still love Curse of the Werewolf..

That make-up, tho.

olly_wolf_1.jpg

FUCK YEAH~!

And I totally agree.  Yvonne Romain is more than an adequate Those 60's Girls answer to the immortal question of, "So who will we hire if Caroline Munro is unavailable?"

Things are ratcheting up at the No-End House.

Spoiler

The father thing has escaped into the real world by following Margot and Jules.  He is capable of eating memories in the real world just as he can in the pocket dimension of Room 6.

Albert breaks everything down for Episode 5.

Season Finale is NEXT WEDNESDAY~!  BE READY~!

• Like 1

31 is a Shudder exclusive.  I don't think it is an original. 

I remember not hating 31 because nearly all of Doom-Head's dialogue is great and because EG Daily is still hot, but I also remember not liking it as much as The Devil's Rejects or Lords of Salem. 

One thing I can recall about 31 s not being as infuriated with the casting of Sherri Moon Zombie as I usually am. 

The ending for 31 is quite badass.  Richard Brake and Sherri take that shit home king sized.

Phantasm: Ravager is on light rotation on Syfy now.  You can probably watch it albeit heavily censored if it is on SYFY On Demand.

IMO, NOROI should be much higher than number eight, but you guys already knew that.

Prevenge is really fucking awesome, but it will not be everyone's cup of tea.. er,, blood...

I am sad to say that I haven't sat down and watched Lake Bodom or Therapy yet.

We Are The Flesh is a bit too artsy for me.

Not necessarily, unless. AS far as I know it's exclusive to Shudder, and they only do streaming. Someone else would need to pick up the dvd/bd rights.

Scream Factory would be an obvious choice. So would Arrow, who has been releasing BluRays of Dark Water and Audition, as well as a bus load of other hard to get Japanese genre films. I imagine if people hounded them enough, maybe they'll take a risk on it. I mean if Scream Factory can put out a bluray of Dark Angel aka I Come in Peace, starring Dolph Lundgren, they could maybe put out something quality like Noroi.

Watched SPLIT the other night. If M. Night Shyamalan had made that after The Village, his career would have been very different. I enjoyed it and flipped out over the little stinger at the end.

I also saw 31 last week. A bit of a let down after Lords of Salem, which I think is bizzarely incredible. Most of it falls on Zombie's dialogue. I'm cool with vulgarity, but his sounds so overwrought that it stops being clever. The story itself felt like a walk in the park for him though. Nothing too challenging. Loved the ending though.

If anyone else is on Shudder, get on ROADGAMES. Stacey Keach feels like a John Carpenter hero, and it's like Duel meets Rear Window in Australia. It's also got Jamie Lee Curtis fresh off The Fog.

Also saw LIFE, with Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds. Great first 30 minutes. Then it grinded its gears for 45 minutes and came up with the weakest Gotcha's ever.

I'm also writing some reviews for films at the Chicago Film Fest After Dark. The first one just went up. It's a Taiwan film called Mon Mon Mon Monsters(great title) https://vaguevisages.com/2017/10/20/ciff-dark-review-giddens-kos-mon-mon-mon-monsters/

• Like 3

Watched curse of Frankenstein and the mummy tonight.

Not a whole lot for Lee to do in curse. Cushing was wonderfully nutty as Victor F. 

Watching Mummy and the asylum director looked familiar and I had to look it up. The King in Princess Bride.

• Like 1