DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:55 PM, The Comedian said:

Does the No-End House show retain how the original story was

Reveal hidden contents

a metaphor for drug addiction?

Okay now that I am three episodes in, here are my thoughts in re The Commedian's spoilerized comments:

Spoiler

We saw our first direct drug reference aka Jules's mom smoking weed, but there are also some interesting allegories that may or may not be symbolic of the more destructive side of substance abuse that the original creepypasta is all about.

So far we have:

• The idea that the constructs of the No-End House survive by consuming memories ( the end of Episode 2 where Father created the simulacrum of Margot's memory about her mother and then ate the representative).  This also makes me ask the questions that Albert posed in his recap:  who wrote the "Beware The Cannibals!" warning in the house?  Certainly not the creator of the house because he / she would not want you to be prepared for what was to come in Room 6.
  • The house ensnares people inside Room 6 by making them forget aspects of their former lives and (Lacey's mysterious amnesia) and making them believe that the confines of Room 6 represents the real world..
  • The memories of the people trapped inside Room 6 can either be taken (as Father stole Margot's memory of her mother)  or surrendered by the victim (Jules surrendering the memory of her dog to the "egg" thing)..
  • Like addiction, the constructs can take a life of their own and will perpetuate themselves by attempting to dominate the psyche of a target or (in JD's case) killing them.

Yeah, I have no idea what it was with Tobe and his thing with killers having labyrinths for secret hideouts. 

Leatherface, Buck from Eaten Alive (?), the psycho from the Toolbox Murders, Frankenstein from The Funhouse...

Oh, and Verizon FiOS dropped Chiller from its lineup.  No big loss since I tend to stream Shudder for my horror watching needs and Chiller was showing more SYFY castoffs like Sharktopus and shit.

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

After the wedding I went to last night (which was beautiful by the way, and open bar!) I borrowed Martyrs from my buddy since I've never seen it beyond the first fifteen minutes or so. This should be... interesting. 

You may as well watch Inside as well so you can watch two French horror films that will shake your faith in humanity.

I dunno, don't think I can take a double hit. I wanted to grab Eaten Alive from him too but he said his SO wanted to see it (she gloms onto some of the most random movies) and I'm seeing it at the all-night horror fest at the Art on Friday if I can stay awake long enough so hey. Audition was sitting right there for me to borrow if I wanted to relive some trauma but naw

Oh, God.  I only have enough spiritual strength to deal with Audition about once every two years.

On a somewhat lighter note, HAPPY DEATH DAY~! arrives in theaters this Friday the 13th~!

So far, so good. 11 films in 9 days...

BACKCOUNTRY (2014)
WATCHED: October 1
GRADE: B

SCOUTS GUIDE TO THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE (2015)
WATCHED: October 1
GRADE: C+

SATANIC (2016)
WATCHED: October 2

THE BYE BYE MAN (2017)
WATCHED: October 3
GRADE: D

MONSTER TRUCKS (2016)
WATCHED: October 4

MONSTER HOUSE (2006)
WATCHED: October 6
GRADE: A

LITTLE EVIL (2017)
WATCHED: October 7
GRADE: B

CULT OF CHUCKY (2017)
WATCHED: October 8
GRADE: B-

DON'T KILL IT (2016)
GRADE: D

WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS (2014)

MERCY (2014)
WATCHED: October 9

• Thanks 1

Fowler will be happy that you enjoyed Cult of Chucky.

And yeah for an alleged kids movie, Monster House was creepy AF.  My kid watched it with me when she was ten years old and the rickety porch serving as the house's jagged maw is an image that still weirds out my daughter to this very day.  She's 14 now..

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

And yeah for an alleged kids movie, Monster House was creepy AF.  My kid watched it with me when she was ten years old and the he rickety porch serving as the house's jagged maw is an image that still weirds out my daughter to this very day.  She's 14 now..

Man sometimes I wish I could recapture that.  I was just watching an awesome horrible TV movie from 1973 called GARGOYLES starring Cornelle Wilde and featuring a youngish Scott Glenn and the amazing Grayson Hall (and with Bernie Casey as the Gargoyle king or whatever).

It was really free and open with the gargoyles. It did not hide them for budget reasons and in fact was quite proud of them. Some of them just looked like cheesy rubber suits but Bernie Casey looked rad as fuck:

gargoyles4.jpg

And yeah Jeepers Creepers is pretty much a straight up ripoff of this.

But I had this flash during a really cheesy scene of a garglyle landing on the roof of a car and it looks terrible in the movie

img_0656.jpg

but boy did it suddenly hit me how much this simple, goofy shot would have messed me up when I was a kid. I can imagine for months, maybe years, I would have been in the back of our 1979 Plymout Volare

4708876028_650cab91f2.jpg

no seatbelt of course, just flying around in the back like a sack of groceries.  And I would have stared at the roof and just wondered when I would hear that gargoyle land on it.

It is one of my favorite things to be watching a "bad" horror movie, or one that is old and dated and "not scary anymore" and catch a glimpse of something that really is astounding and frightening and overwhelming to a kid and remember how great it was when any cheesy piece of junk could give you those shivers.

• Like 2

Gargoyles is one of my favorite "good" bad movies.  I have fond memories of watching it on the CBS Late Night Movie with my kid brother and being absolutely terrified. Good times.

Curt told me that it was recently remastered and converted to DVD.

Which would explain this being on YouTube::

I watched another YouTube upload from a late night horror movie program on a previous training exercise, but here is one that has the movie shown in full and completely uninterrupted.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Fowler will be happy that you enjoyed Cult of Chucky.

And yeah for an alleged kids movie, Monster House was creepy AF.  My kid watched it with me when she was ten years old and the the rickety porch serving as the house's jagged maw is an image that still weirds out my daughter to this very day.  She's 14 now..

My thoughts on Cult of Chucky:

I was definitely looking forward to this new installment in the Chucky franchise, and it was a solid entry. Storyline was a little thin and/or rushed in parts, but these Chucky films are more about snide laughs and bloody kills than anything...so this was right on par. Not as good as Bride Of Chucky (which, to be honest: was pretty amazing), but much better than Seed Of Chucky. Really good visuals in this, as most everything in the background was white/grey, leaving room for shocking blood spatter. Brad Dourif's daughter was excellent in this, too. Hope to see more installments!

My youngest, the first time we watched Monster House (back when I was still married, so maybe she was 5?), had to leave the room.

• Like 1

The theater poster for Monster House is rather innocuous.

Monster_House_poster.jpg

:Then you see this fucking thing in the actual motion picture::

3263_1.jpg

and you are like, "THIS IS A MOVIE FOR CHILDREN~???"

• Like 1

Martyrs should not be watched. By anyone. Even the director seems to agree. If I needed to know society is a sewer pipe of raping, murdering, psycho shitheads all I have to do is look at the paper. I appreciate that it was done, but I do not have to see it, and you don't either. This is now on my Monster list of "films I've checked off the box but I never need to see again"

Tokyo Gore Police is a little much.  At the point where they're cutting between one person being torn apart with each of their limbs attached to cars driving in different directions, and another person in a bar fight using a broken bottle as a weapon that rips someone's face clean off... my eyes started to glaze over.

Yay for Backcountry btw.  Dat Canadian content.

• Like 2