DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

If Michael can survive H20 via a heretofore unrevealed Lechterian skill for deception and strategy, i can believe that Laurie Strode survived Halloween:Resurrecti8n.

Now's the time to bring her together with her daughter Jamie, though.

Me either.

I just find it funny they are literally doing the same thing again twenty years later.

And it's not like there was any chance 4-6 would count, and between H20 and Resurrection, the only thing worth a damn is the Michael/Laurie sequence at the end of H20.

I am dumb.  I did not really grasp that the film was more allegorical than literal until about halfway through the movie.

Spoiler

When Ed Harris suffered the rib injury. It dawned on me that Act I was pretty much the chapter of Genesis from the Bible and that Jennifer Lawrence's character was some Gaia figure that was annoyed that humans had no respect for her home aka planet earth.

Aronofsky has been very open about explaining that in interviews and he did so at the Q&A at our screening, but interestingly, someone asked about the orange/yellow powder and he said "That's the one thing I won't explain."

I think there's a personal element to the movie for him as well.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Aronofsky has been very open about explaining that in interviews and he did so at the Q&A at our screening, but interestingly, someone asked about the orange/yellow powder and he said "That's the one thing I won't explain."

I think there's a personal element to the movie for him as well.

In a film filled with allegory, every element has possible significance.

I was also trying to discern the WTF of the orange dust.

Got in a long online conversation with a buddy of mine about it last night. He thought it was totally misogynistic and HATED it. He also thought it was total exploitation and not art in the conventional sense. We went around and around. 

To be fair, you can call it pretentious trash if you want and you won't be far off the mark, but I don't mind that really. At least in this circumstance.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot, he said he really wanted it to be like Burnt Offerings (?!) and was disappointed that it wasn't like that...

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Got in a long online conversation with a buddy of mine about it last night. He thought it was totally misogynistic and HATED it. He also thought it was total exploitation and not art in the conventional sense. We went around and around. 

To be fair, you can call it pretentious trash if you want and you won't be far off the mark, but I don't mind that really. At least in this circumstance.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot, he said he really wanted it to be like Burnt Offerings (?!) and was disappointed that it wasn't like that...

I was a bit pissed off at first until I figured out that stuff was metaphorical.

Spoiler

The part where Mother is being attacked by the crowd = Global Warming disbelief / pillaging of the earth for natural resources.

When Mother burns down the house = Earth cannot support dumb humans who continue to abuse the environment.  Man follows the dinosaurs in a mass extinction event, but this one is probably self inflicted.

When Him heals Mother's burns = God mends the damage done to earth by mankind and life on earth after humans begins.

It took me hours of philosophical musing to piece things together.

I was also dumb and did not realize 

Spoiler

the biblical allegory. Then again, I was a little sauced at the showing and kind of let the whole thing just wash over me. Aronofsky, in the Wiki, both explained it and also said not to read too much into it which is hypocritical, but whatever.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was also dumb and did not realize 

Reveal hidden contents

the biblical allegory. Then again, I was a little sauced at the showing and kind of let the whole thing just wash over me. Aronofsky, in the Wiki, both explained it and also said not to read too much into it which is hypocritical, but whatever.

Yeah, mother! is very Black Swan-esque in the idea that imagery is very symbolic and represents some other concept or idea not directly represented by the action in the scene.

The lessons to be learned in mother! are not as blatant and obvious as the ones in Requiem For A Dream.

Once I remembered that Aronofsky like to use surreal terror as a teaching aide, I was able to think about the events of mother! with more of an open mind.