DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

It was pretty good.  Not great, but still extremely solid.

I am now kinda thankful that Cary Fukunaga's project died on the vine.  No one really knows exactly what the explicit sexual content was in his early scripts, but no one needed to see the Pennywise Celebration on the big screen.

The movie concludes in the middle of the novel and:

Spoiler

there is a mid-credit scene where we are not surprised to learn that It lives, so there will probably be a sequel covering the second half of the novel (Pennywise vs. Loser Club Adults) and I hope by then that Neil figures out what to do about that stupid spider incarnation and goes a different route. 

The sequel needs a far better ending than the novel had.

• Like 1

And then there is Bedeviled which adopts the premise of spreading evil through a cursed cell phone app.  Urgh..

THE EASIEST WAY TO SURVIVE IS NOT TO DOWNLOAD THE FUCKING THING~!!!  PROBLEM SOLVED~!!!.

I am shocked that this wasn't a J-Horror or K-Horror movie premise since they started us off on the haunted cell phone kick.

The original One Missed Call and the K-Horror standard, Phone, will probably still be better than this thing.

12 minutes ago, nate said:

I look forward to the Japanese remake.

Like I said before, I am surprised that Bedeviled isn't the remake of some J-Horror or K-Horror throwaway since the whole haunted cell phone sub-genre started over there.

You're going to make me say it, aren't you?

Spoiler

In the novel, in order to successfully navigate their way out of the sewers after defeating Pennywise, Beverly has consensual sex with all six of the boys in the Losers' Club.

Remember, they're all about eleven years old at the time.

To make matters worse, it is graphic and it is seven pages long.

It is even more nauseating than Sam recalling being raped as a boy in The Library Policeman in Four Past Midnight.

There are times where I'd love to punch Stephen King right in the Adam's Apple.

42 minutes ago, J.T. said:

You're going to make me say it, aren't you?

Reveal hidden contents

In the novel, in order to successfully navigate their way out of the sewers after defeating Pennywise, Beverly has consensual sex with all six of the boys in the Losers' Club.

Remember, they're all about eleven years old at the time.

To make matters worse, it is graphic and it is seven pages long.

It is even more nauseating than Sam recalling being raped as a boy in The Library Policeman in Four Past Midnight.

There are times where I'd love to punch Stephen King right in the Adam's Apple.

King commented on it recently in a spectacularly wrongheaded way:

Spoiler

"To it I'd just add that it's fascinating to me that there has been so much comment about that single sex scene and so little about the multiple child murders. That must mean something, but I'm not sure what."

For us to take issue with only that part of the book, it means we're cool with child murder? I'm really disturbed by this revelation about myself.

There's no book without the child murders. The book could exist without that one scene.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah it's the most what the fuck why thing I've ever come across in an otherwise good book.

Anyway, It: Chapter 2 is 2019 JT.

Yeah, you could tell that there was enough leeway in the script to maybe kill this at one picture if the movie flopped (DARK TOWER~!).

My only concern about Chapter 2 is that the action in that movie will encompass the weakest parts of the novel.

For that movie to be successful. they absolutely have to fix that shitty ending from the novel.

20 hours ago, Throat said:

King commented on it recently in a spectacularly wrongheaded way:

Reveal hidden contents

"To it I'd just add that it's fascinating to me that there has been so much comment about that single sex scene and so little about the multiple child murders. That must mean something, but I'm not sure what."

For us to take issue with only that part of the book, it means we're cool with child murder? I'm really disturbed by this revelation about myself.

There's no book without the child murders. The book could exist without that one scene.

Yeah that equivalency argument always baffled me.  

If the antagonist of your book is a child murdering demon, then the murder of children is key to the story.

The other part is not key and could've been eliminated entirely.

TMK, the only sexual encounter that King has put in a novel that was even remotely appropriate was in Pet Semetary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Yeah that equivalency argument always baffled me.  

If the antagonist of your book is a child murdering demon, then the murder of children is key to the story.

The other part is not key and could've been eliminated entirely.

TMK, the only sexual encounter that King has put in a novel that was even remotely appropriate was in Pet Semetary.

Someone mentioned in the comments on an article about that It scene that even Peter Straub has said King is terrible at writing sex scenes. That seems to be the consensus. Instead of defending a mistake he made 30 years ago, he should just admit he fucked up and move on. Then everyone else can move on and maybe we won't get another dozen articles about that scene when the sequel comes out.

42 minutes ago, (BP) said:

It's strange that King keeps doubling down on the group sex scene even though he has the out that he spent half the 80s in a blackout stupor. 

It seems to be a problem with horror in general IMO.  Sexuality always has a dark or negative connotation in this genre.

The couple in any given slasher movie that has sex usually ends up dead (message: SEX, BAD~! ABSTINANCE, GOOD~!) and there is even a sub-genre of horror aka body horror where the naked form is equated with perversion rather than sensuality.

David Hagan wrote a book about the subject (Dark Romance: Sexuality in the Horror Film) which I have heard is fascinating, but I've never gotten around to reading it.

Yeah, I mean, in context, the pre-teen orgy both allows them to find their way out and binds them together so that they are committed to coming back if/when It resurfaces.

Which makes it even more fucking disturbing. It's just so fucking "nope"

19 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah, I mean, in context, the pre-teen orgy both allows them to find their way out and binds them together so that they are committed to coming back if/when It resurfaces.

Which makes it even more fucking disturbing. It's just so fucking "nope"

"Yeah, I mean, in context, the pre-teen orgy...."

Fowler, you've done it.  You've concocted the most sig-worthy collection of words in the history of this message board.  Fuck that Davey Richards in a Davey Richards thing!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

That won't happen unless people do something horrible like quoting just that first part with your name over and over on message boards like

"Yeah, I mean, in context, the pre-teen orgy...."  - Brian Fowler, 2017.

But how or why would anyone do that? I mean, maybe if they had a grudge over your irrational hatred of a beloved 5th entry in an iconic film franchise and the perky adorable party girl who stole the show....but I can't think of anyone who would hold that grudge.

Can you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

That won't happen unless people do something horrible like quoting just that first part with your name over and over on message boards like

"Yeah, I mean, in context, the pre-teen orgy...."  - Brian Fowler, 2017.

But how or why would anyone do that? I mean, maybe if they had a grudge over your irrational hatred of a beloved 5th entry in an iconic film franchise and the perky adorable party girl who stole the show....but I can't think of anyone who would hold that grudge.

Can you?

Kissy Suzuki in You Only Live Twice?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1