DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

Damn.  Sayce is as notable of a figure in horror films as any notable director. 

His creature designs for Nightbreed were outstanding and The Lament Configuration is an iconic piece of horror filmdom history.

He's up there with great horror prop and make-up artists like Rick Baker, Barbara Valdez and Ton Savini.

RIP.

• Like 2

Rabid was (and is, all night) on The Movie Channel (along with The Hills Have Eyes) and it was fun to see it again. I would really like piranesi to review it because there is so much ridiculous shit in that movie. It's a really not very good ripoff of Night of the Living Dead that also has egregious '70s wardrobes like Marilyn Chambers wearing either furs or her birthday suit most of the time. I swear one dude has cowboy boots that come up to the back of his knees, and another guy has green leather pants! There is only one moment of real horror and pretty much the rest of it is cheap schlock, which is weird because Shivers before this and The Brood after were masterpieces. I'd still rather watch it over Scanners though.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this is set in Quebec at X-mas time, and there is little to no inclement weather, just a couple patches of snow on the ground. And a cop shoots Santa Claus in the mall! 

• Like 1

John Steadman's monologue in The Hills Have Eyes is one of the great moments in horror cinema, btw. It pulls the trigger on everything going horribly wrong in such a dramatic, awesome way. As poor as Rabid is, The Hills Have Eyes is so fantastic. I swear I could show it to most anyone younger than me and despite the family being so asshole Wonder Bread (until they aren't), it would hold up. 

• Like 1

Yeah.  I'd watch that.

I'm going to try to hit a matinee of It Comes At Night this afternoon provided that I can successfully conclude my business at the DMV in a reasonable amount of time.

Review to follow if I manage to do the impossible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah.  I'd watch that.

I'm going to try to hit a matinee of It Comes At Night this afternoon provided that I can successfully conclude my business at the DMV in a reasonable amount of time.

When do we get the review of Darkness, My Old Friend? Just sayin'...

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah.  I'd watch that.

I managed to get to it this weekend, so I'm up for discussing once you've seen it.  It may not be in theaters for too much longer - after just two weeks, it took a big drop in screenings this past weekend (from showing in ~2500 theaters to just over 800).

13 minutes ago, OSJ said:

When do we get the review of Darkness, My Old Friend? Just sayin'...

I will finish reading by Sunday and will post my earnest thoughts by the middle of next week.

I finished and loved it FWIW. As I told John, "Lord of the Jungle" and "For Art's Sake" were my favorites along with the Holmes story which was suitably Lovecraftian and capping it off with a final Smoking Leg story (that nailed a certain phobia of mine pretty hard) was a perfect move. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2017 at 0:11 AM, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this is set in Quebec at X-mas time, and there is little to no inclement weather, just a couple patches of snow on the ground. And a cop shoots Santa Claus in the mall! \

That wasn't Quebec at Christmas.  That was Philadelphia during week 5 of the NFL season.

• Like 1

A Cure for Wellness was a weird movie, and I don't mean the story, which started out promising, but the final act was horrendous. There was no need for it to go on for that long, and it was just a mess. Such a pity, because at times I thought it was reasonably enjoyable. I always like the concept of a horror movie that goes for nearly two hours and a half... just not this one.

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You don't say...

As long as it's not an abortion like 3D I'll watch it... probably not in the theater though, unless the reviews are good. Dug the low angle shot of the girl walking that threw back to the original in that. 

But isn't that shot the one shot that they do in every remake of this to pretend like they understand why the original was so good?

And then they proceed to misunderstand everything else that made it great.

• Like 6

Why are all subsequent Chainsaw Massacre movies so gory?  The original is about as bloodless as a slasher movie can possibly be.

It's one of the few qualities that I actually love about the first film.

• Like 2

Slummed it last night and watched Bite from 2015.  Not something to go out of your way for, but you could do worse.  It had reasonably good set design with some respectably icky body horror, and the cinematography was solid with some pretty landscape shots.  Also apes the Insidious main title jump scare where BITE fills the screen suddenly.

29 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The prequel(?) to Saw.

Nope.  This definitely picks up where Saw 3D left off.

This is the Saw: Legacy script that was on again, off again, on again, shitcanned, peddled to Konami as another installment in their Saw survival horror video game franchise (yes, this thing is an actual thing), brought back as a movie script, and finally made it to filming and post production.