DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:53 AM, Brian Fowler said:

The story in the story of Wizard and Glass is my favorite thing he's written. Otherwise, Road Work.

Wizard & Glass and then The Running Man. 

Every short story in Night Shift is nearly note perfect. The Jaunt still remains one of the most terrifying stories I've ever read and it is fucking speculative fiction / sci-fi.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Wait wait wait wait... You did not just rank any of those final three books over Wizard & Glass, the best thing Stephen King ever wrote, did you?

I'll admit I'm probably unfairly maligning what I do think is a very good story on its own merits there because of my basic distaste for a flashback conceit dominating Book IV of a series (and likewise crediting Book V too much as a return to forward progress for the narrative) when I just wanted to get to the damn Tower.

16 minutes ago, Cyanide said:

I'll admit I'm probably unfairly maligning what I do think is a very good story on its own merits there because of my basic distaste for a flashback conceit dominating Book IV of a series (and likewise crediting Book V too much as a return to forward progress for the narrative) when I just wanted to get to the damn Tower.

Oh shit, good point about that.  I remember reading book 4 in 97 when book 3 had come out in 1991.  So I'd actually finished high school and gone completely through college between books!  I remember reading chapter 1 and thinking , "okay, some flashbacks, then we'll go to the current story."  Then a few chapters later, ".....oh, okay then."

Universal Pictures and Sony Pictures’ Insidious: Chapter 4 will move from October 20, 2017 to Friday, January 5, 2018. The film takes the place of the previously-announced “Untitled Blumhouse Horror Project.” Meanwhile, Universal Pictures’ Half to Death, also from Blumhouse, will be released on Friday, October 20, 2017. The Chapter 4 release date makes it the only movie currently sitting on that post-New Year’s date. Half to Death will open against the Gerard Butler sci-fi thriller Geostorm, the Idris Elba romance The Mountain Between Us, and the Greg Kinnear drama Same Kind of Different as Me.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Insidious started off as a good idea, but now it is one of those bad things that won't go away.

I've enjoyed all three so far but I'm apparently a shitty barometer, as I've liked every Terminator movie as well.

The scene in Insidious 3 where The Man Who Can't Breathe stalks the girl in her room is one of the best horror scenes I've seen in a while, particularly because it was so drawn out.  In the current jump scare environment, you keep thinking the scene will end, but it just keeps going until maybe you pee a bit.

• Like 2

Yeah. I've enjoyed every Insidious movie so far. I think Vol. 4 is definitely a stretch, but until they put out one that outright sucks I'll keep giving them the benefit of the doubt and checking it out.

All the Stephen King talk reminded me that in a recent edition of Battle Royale I got from the library, author Koushun Takami notes that King is one of his big influences to the point that the fictional district the kids come from is literally just Japanese for Castle Rock. He also talks about wrestling and AJPW a lot (Jumbo Tsuruta and Stan Hansen are his favourite wrestlers of all time) so generally I feel like the board would enjoy the author's notes in that one.

The new Alien: Covenant trailer on TV features a Willie Nelson song. Way to go. Having that along with a CGI Xenomorph headbutting a spaceship while Mr. Eastbound and Down freaks out has officially taken the piss out of what might be a decent horror film. So much for that terrifying poster and the shower scene...

EDIT: Note, I love Willie, but this is improper usage to say the least

Hounds of Love

Directed by Ben Young and starring (not that) Stephen Curry, Emma Booth, and Ashleigh Cummings.

Another genre bending Aussie movie like The Babadook that will end up being called a horror film before its all said and done.

18 hours ago, J.T. said:

Hounds of Love

Directed by Ben Young and starring (not that) Stephen Curry, Emma Booth, and Ashleigh Cummings.

Another genre bending Aussie movie like The Babadook that will end up being called a horror film before its all said and done.

I am conflicted, I saw no evidence of shoes being thrown into a lake in the trailer for this film.

• Like 1

Saw The Void at the theater last night and it was really fun. It made no sense and nothing was explained but that was kind of the point. Very much a blender-whirl of The Thing, Assault on Precinct 13 (except you don't end up caring about any of the characters), Event Horizon (yep), and The Beyond. 

Oh and I forgot about Prince of Darkness and any H.P. Lovecraft anthology you care to toss in the blender. That makes it sound better than it is, but like I said, still fun. It's also super cool to have practical and CG effects actually match each other for quality in a film. They were used exactly where they belonged and Rob Zombie can't even get that right. 

• Like 1

I loved The Void. Plot was total nonsense, there were no rules, and nothing was ever explained or earned, but it was so bonkers and gave so little fucks and took itself so seriously it worked. 

There was a point where it cut to the triangle and the voice over said "what do you see?" And it lingered on it so long I was convinced it was the end of the movie. I thought what a powerful ending and then it kept going and got weirder!

i dragged my daughter who never read a description or watched the trailer and she came out raving about just how cool it was. 

And I cared about Kim and the Son.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2017 at 0:12 AM, Lawful Metal said:

i dragged my daughter who never read a description or watched the trailer and she came out raving about just how cool it was. 

You bringing your kid to The Void immediately makes you my favorite person. It reminds me of Michael Berryman saying his kid's favorite movie is Predator in an old issue of Fangoria and basically saying "so?"

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:06 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Saw The Void at the theater last night and it was really fun.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:45 AM, Roman said:

The effects in The Void were gorgeous, and the atmosphere was well done, but both the characters and the story were shit. Sad, really.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 1:12 AM, Lawful Metal said:

I loved The Void. Plot was total nonsense, there were no rules, and nothing was ever explained or earned, but it was so bonkers and gave so little fucks and took itself so seriously it worked. .

I hate you all right now.. I mean.. AWESOME~!  Glad you enjoyed it!

I think that Xfinity had the good taste to put this in their On Demand queue, so I will slide my folks a couple of bucks and watch it at their crib sometime soon.

Speaking of cable television, Don't Breathe is now on heavy rotation on the Starz! Network channels.  It debuted last Friday.

dont-breathe-poster.jpg

23 minutes ago, nate said:

Anyone have any takes on this "Beyond the Gates" film?

I have heard it referred to as a poor man's creepy version of Jumanji and most of the horror mavens I know that have seen it haven't spoken fondly of it only to say that Barbara Crampton's scenery chewing deserved a better film.

I know it is not cool for conservatives to like NPR, but I think that this coming weekend's edition of The New Yorker Radio Hour is going to feature an older interview with Roger Corman. 

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You bringing your kid to The Void immediately makes you my favorite person. It reminds me of Michael Berryman saying his kid's favorite movie is Predator in an old issue of Fangoria and basically saying "so?"

In my defense she's 18 and been raised on crazy movies. Her current favorite movie is I Saw The Devil.

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

In my defense she's 18 and been raised on crazy movies. Her current favorite movie is I Saw The Devil.

Berryman said his kid was seven, I think, which is why it was so funny. My dad bought the original Phantom of the Opera, Night of the Living Dead, and Godzilla vs. Megalon when I was like five on VHS from Walmart (Phantom broke and he had to take it back), so I give the thumbs up to the both of you

11 hours ago, nate said:

Anyone have any takes on this "Beyond the Gates" film?

My thoughts from a few months back - 

When I saw a preview for Beyond the Gates I thought it was going to be yet another attempt to cash in on the retro horror/80s fad.  I was pleasantly surprised with what they managed to do with what must have been a very low budget while at the same time paying homage to various 80s tropes and not going anywhere near overboard.  It's set in modern times and only pays passing mention to the things those of us who grew up perusing the horror sections of video stores in the 80s would be familiar with instead of being gratuitous and pandering.  There's some corniness but it's not over the top and doesn't feel like nostalgia for nostalgia's sake.  There's some of The Gate, Jumangi, and even the underrated 90s flick Brainscan in here.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.rue-morgue.com/single-post/2017/05/10/Movie-Review-ALIEN-COVENANT-is-an-uneasy-evolution-of-the-franchise

As expected, Rue Morgue gives a pithy review of Alien: Covenant (warning: SPOILERS). As a magazine that has all but usurped the role Fangoria had, their reviews have never gotten any nicer despite the fact. I guess they took on Cinefantastique's mantle in that respect.