DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

On 1/13/2017 at 11:39 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Not to speak ill of the dead, but The Exorcist was a pretty awful novel. It's a good thing his screenplay was up to snuff. 

See I am the opposite. I hate the film and find it boring as hell. Love the novel and found it as scary as people told me the film was.

I also like the book and the movie for very different reasons. 

I think people have a bad impression of the book because they expect it to be like the movie, and even Blatty himself has said that the story of the novel is Father Merrin's faith rather than Regan's possession.

As overrated as I thought The Descent was (although still enjoyable), the sequel... Holy shit. The sequel is terrible. Terrible, terrible, terrible. It relies completely on jump scares. There's a dozen of them. I don't mind jump scares, but this many? Jesus Christ. The movie doesn't build tension at all, has flat and boring characters that you just want to see dead, is nonsensical (even with taking the premise into account) and employs tricks of which you just know that the writers were giggling 'This is so cool!' about. It's an utter shitfest.

EDIT: Oh my God. I wrote this when I was hardly an hour in. I'm still watching it now. IT'S GETTING EVEN WORSE! IT'S GETTING A LOT WORSE! If you liked The Descent, do yourself a favour and disregard this post. They never made a sequel. Never.

EDIT: JESUS FUCK! IT GETS EVEN WORSE AFTER THAT!

• Like 1

I look at it this way. I've watched The Hills Have Eyes a million times. I've watched The Exorcist a good handful of times. I've watched The Descent a couple hair-raising times. But will I watch the immediate sequel of any of those, after hearing what's written about them? 

I can't comment on The Hills Have Eyes 2, but The Descent 2 is not even close to being in the same circle of hell as The Exorcist 2: The Heretic. That is legitimately an all-time terrible movie, and falls deeply into that "hell of a lot worse" I mentioned.

Exorcist III, based on Blatty's novel, Legion, is the sequel to The Exorcist.  I have no idea what this Exorcist II is that you speak of.

I haven't been smashed enough times in the head to feel compelled to watch The Descent II.

The Hills Have Eyes 2 is not an entirely terrible sequel to a reboot that probably shouldn't have been made in the first place..

I haven't watched the sequels to The Exorcist or The Hills Have Eyes and now I think I never will.

I thought the first Descent movie was good. Quite enjoyable and solid, but it had some things towards the end I thought were silly. I think it was also a case of watching it after everyone had been hyping it as a 'modern classic', so I came out somewhat disappointed, despite still having enjoyed it.

But the sequel... It was undiluted shit. Somewhere between a dozen and twenty jump scares (and I'm not exaggerating), really stupid and boring characters, ridiculous decisions, self-congratulatory scenes, no tension, no sense of claustrophobia (which they did really well in the first movie and was the main selling point) and idiotic, endlessly frustrating story developments -- with the most unimaginative 'twist ending' you can think of.

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is a masterpiece and the best movie sequel ever made compared to this bullshit.

I prefer the UK ending to The Descent.  That is the version of the film that I consider to be the "modern classic."  It is brutal and unapologetic.

The jump scare ending for the US release was pretty lame.. 

Spoiler

The whole notion of one of the spelunkers escaping alive dilutes the impact of the movie.  it is terribly formulaic.

I try my best not to acknowledge that cut of the film.

Blair Witch 2 was garbage, but it has its apologists because of the NCIS Abby Scioto Suicide Girl Escape Clause aka "a female goth / emo character in the cast will cause you to be more forgiving than you should be."

To be clear: when I mentioned the ending in my post above, I was talking about the sequel.

Out of curiosity: what other horror movies would you consider 'modern classics' (or close to it)? I haven't enjoyed many 'modern' horror movies, and I can't recall any from the top of my head, which is quite troubling.

To me, there are three basic ways a sequel can be terrible. It can just be a flat out bad movie. It can, regardless of its quality as film, be a terrible continuation of the story/themes/characters/etc, or it can just needlessly retell the story of the first movie.

A lot of sequels manage to hit two out of three of these. But the only movie I've ever seen that somehow manages all three is Exorcist II.

1 minute ago, Roman said:

To be clear: when I mentioned the ending in my post above, I was talking about the sequel.

Out of curiosity: what other horror movies would you consider 'modern classics' (or close to it)? I haven't enjoyed many 'modern' horror movies, and I can't recall any from the top of my head, which is quite troubling.

It's a horror/comedy/partial mockumentary, but Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

• Like 2

It's been blocked due to copyright (despite 100% of the content being fair use) but Good Bad Flicks had a really good video about how Blair Witch 2 got butchered in editing to lose the narrative entirely, down to random violence being added for its own sake, scenes happening out of order, and the score being changed. The original cut had it as more of a Session 9 esque psychological horror with plausible deniability over whether or not the supernatural was involved which is at least interesting. Apparently fans have recut and re-scored it to match the original but I haven't been able to find that online as of yet.

• Like 1

My "modern horror movie classics" listmania.

Disclaimer: I have pretty low standards and even lower expectations..

1. The Descent (UK Release).

2. Ring

3. 28 Days Later

4. Let The Right One In.

5. The Devil's Backbone

6. The Mist

7. The Cabin In The Woods

8. The Babadook

9. Under The Shadow

10. Session 9

11. [REC]

12. Kairo (Pulse)

13. Trick 'r Treat

14. Inside (À l'intérieur)

15. I Saw The Devil

Honorable Mentions:  V/H/S, The Eye (HK original), A Tale Of Two Sisters, May, Suicide Club, Red Eye (the best Wes Craven movie in YEARS.), You're Next, The Witch, It Follows, Kill List, Martyr(s).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

It's been blocked due to copyright (despite 100% of the content being fair use) but Good Bad Flicks had a really good video about how Blair Witch 2 got butchered in editing to lose the narrative entirely, down to random violence being added for its own sake, scenes happening out of order, and the score being changed. The original cut had it as more of a Session 9 esque psychological horror with plausible deniability over whether or not the supernatural was involved which is at least interesting. Apparently fans have recut and re-scored it to match the original but I haven't been able to find that online as of yet.

That makes me sad since as my recent post points out, Session 9 is one of my list of "modern classics."

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

Exorcist III, based on Blatty's novel, Legion, is the sequel to The Exorcist.  I have no idea what this Exorcist II is that you speak of.

I haven't been smashed enough times in the head to feel compelled to watch The Descent II.

The Hills Have Eyes 2 is not an entirely terrible sequel to a reboot that probably shouldn't have been made in the first place..

Ignoring the original second Hills without even joking about it! I love it. Unless that's just your incipient senility coming into play? 

I actually got a copy of Legion on hardback somewhere around here (from the house of an aunt and uncle who are Promise Keepers, hilariously) but because I disliked The Exorcist so much when I read it as a kid, it's just buried somewhere, unread past the first chapter or so. 

Ah man, I always forget about Kill List. Awesome movie. Keeping on the sequel tip, it is truly rare to get a sequel better than the original, and I firmly hold 28 Weeks Later in that regard. (Along with The Raid 2 but that's for a different thread)

17 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Ah man, I always forget about Kill List. Awesome movie.

I really need to get around to watching it with subtitles.  The impact was blunted for me when I saw it because, first, I had trouble with the accents, and second, the ending is pretty similar to another movie that came out around that time that I'd already seen.