DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

41 minutes ago, piranesi said:

That's not an upgrade.

Onryo J-Horror has been in a freefall decline for ages.   The Koreans know that the US is slowly reclaiming the horror throne, hence the new deal with zombies, vampires, and serial killers appearing in K-Horror these days.

Leave it to the Koreans to do it better, though.  Train To Busan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>World War Z.

Speaking of zombies (kinda sorta):

I highly recommend reading M.R. Carey's novel, The Girl With All The Gifts, and the short story, Iphigenia In Aulis, before checking this out.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 9:54 AM, RIPPA said:

Disappointments Room

Apparently it was written by Wentworth Miller - which seems weird

Good to see that Relativity Media was able to release this under its Rogue Pictures wing before RM went pfffftttt.

As for the "based on true events" thingie:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2016 at 9:52 AM, RIPPA said:

Under the Shadow

This movie was really really really really good.   Watch this in a double feature with A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night for a good dose of excellent Persian horror.

• Like 1

There are more trailers and teasers coming up from Syfy's creepypasta anthology series, Channel Zero.

The first season is based on the creepypasta tale, Candle Cove,

Looks like they changed character from the story called The Skin Taker into Jawbone..

Season Two will be based on the creepypasta story, The No-End House.  The first story is pretty awesome, but there is a host of other material that is supposed to put everything into context.  One of these days I will listen to the entire story series on the YouTubes.

I have no idea what the fuck is up with the crazy monster made of teeth featured in the new television spots.

I'd love to see an adaptation of Russian Sleep Experiment with a decent budget and better writing.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:35 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Same here, had a friend hip me to the new lingo before he moved away about two months ago. Still haven't looked up anything

Basically the whole creepypasta thing started off as kind of prank where you created some completely fictional scary story and tried to convince people that your stuff was a long standing urban legend or it actually happened somewhere.  

The word "creepypasta" is derived from the act of copypasta where you try to pass off someone else's catchy meme as your own by exiting quote text.

The term has since become an umbrella catch-all for nearly all short horror prose you find on the internet, but most creepypasta still have elements of quasi-realism like the Russian Sleep Experiment or take on some "didn't you hear about..."  or "my friend told me this story..." flavored urban legends like Candle Cove, Jeff The Killer, The Smiling Man, and (of course) The Slender Man.

Most creepypasta are drafted to relate primarily to Gen Y'ers and Millenials, so you will see a lot of incorporation of tech and social media intertwined with the horror.  There are quite a few tales about haunted video games or paranormal entities hijacking Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Some of that stuff has a much longer shelf life than other stuff.  You rarely hear anyone on the internet asking about Candle Cove, Polybius, or Zalgo, but I get at least one e-mail a month from someone somewhere asking me what I know about The Slender Man since I was a well known lurker of the Something Awful forums around the time that Eric Knudsen / Victor Surge posted his first photoshops of Slendy.  I got a few of e-mails from a reporter wanting to talk about Slender Man when that little girl got stabbed in Wisconsin.

Stories of The Slender Man and Jeff the Killer are now circulating through my daughter's social circles.  Hard to believe that meme has survived for over seven years now and hasn't lost steam.

My personal favorite creepypasta is the story of the Russian Sleep Experiment because it actually does sound like some wacky fucking human experimentation dealie that went down in the 50's or 60's.  Unfortunately most creepypasta are created by people with awesome ideas but don't have the writing skills to completely pull things off.  Russian Sleep Experiment stats off great and then it has this really stupid monologue at the end that is supposed to be chilling, but it really is pretty corny.

Hence my comment about "better writing" when these things start debuting on Channel Zero.

• Like 1

My favorite creepypasta:

1) Russian Sleep Experiment and I Heard It, Too. ("I heard It, too" are two of the most chilling sentences you will ever read...  Yeah, the story is only TWO SENTENCES LONG~!!!!)

2) BEN drowned

3) NES Godzilla

4) Bad Dream

5) Psychosis

6) "It has been six months since the accident..."

7) "My dead girlfriend keeps messaging me on Facebook.." (allegedly the inspiration for the horror movie, Unfriended.)

8) Google the words "creepypasta" and "I live in Osaka, Japan and often use the subway" and you will be freaked out once you figure out what's going on in the story.

9) "There is something very strange going on with my wife..."

10)  "I was a part of the Queen's Guard in England.."

11) The Basement

Most of this stuff doesn't have enough content for a season's worth of episodes, but you could certainly turn Channel Zero into a Twilight Zone / Outer Limits style anthology series using all of that material.  Problem is that the original sources who definitely deserve credit for the initial creation of a lot of this content has long since had their names disassociated from the material.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, piranesi said:

ANGEL: SEASON 5: The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco.

Gah.  I totally forgot about that episode.  I need to check it out on Netflix as it has been ages since I last watched it.

I am happy to know that this was an episode I actually watched and not a case of me being an old man misremembering something.

49 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Blair Witch is only 58% Fresh.  Yikes.

Unfortunately, it will still probably make a lot of money.

I'm not saying that it's going to be good or anything, but multiple reviews seem to ding it for not being as inventive as the original. That's an awful steep curve. I'm not in love with the Blair Witch Project, but criticizing a movie for not being as innovative as a film that literally jump started an entire subgenre is harsh. 

• Like 1

BWP had an ingenious marketing campaign that tricked a lot of people into believing that the events of the mysterious footage were real and no one dissuaded anyone from taking that point of view....  even though snuff films are totally illegal.

The movie itself is pretty underwhelming if you look at it in a vacuum, but it is totally terrifying if you watch at it from the perspective that you're watching the last moments on earth of three doomed individuals.

Odd how, BWP accomplished that feat with less information and in the current age of super fans and social media, you'd have to accomplish the exact same thing with an oversaturation of information. 

The key is to submarine your marketing in between the odd bits that make up the tons of information that people absorb every day but rarely process, and still believe to be true simply because it is on the internet and no one bothers to fact check.  Then people hive mind, buy into the urban legend sub-consciously, and aid in perpetuating the story.

This is why we have Slender Man sightings when we know that Slender Man is totally fictional..

Last fall's Untitled Horror Anthology that was supposed to come out this past spring finally has a name.

Looks like it will be headed directly to some Video On Demand service just in time for Halloween (Oct. 16).

Tell Me How I Die got a limited release on September 2nd.  It didn't show anywhere near me.

I hope it gets a wider theatrical release, but there is already talk of porting it directly to iTunes and OnDemand services by the 16th of this month.  I will have to keep an eye on my FiOS recommendations.

Yeah, it reminds me a lot of a combination of Final Destination and Side Effects.