DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

AND some of the reviews hint that ISoYG 3 totally rips off Ms. .45's unique idea of having a rapevenger "graduate" from they-totally-deserved-it targets to some uh-that-guy-didn't-really-have-it-coming victims. Except the new movie apparently does it much shittier. Let's put it this way: all the screencaps I've seen depict the "heroine" as wearing a jailbait schoolgirl uniform (the kind that you expect to see Alice wearing in Wonderland) and then also wielding a sledgehammer. Because empowerment, ya know?!

Don't look at me, I avoided the second one and only own the first because it was packaged with Day of the Woman.

Yeah, I had that too. Finally sold it, because I decided I didn't like the original enough to justify owning the fuckin' remake. MAN that movie pissed me off. The first half is perfectly decent, it feels more like Straw Dogs than it feels like Day of the Woman but whatever, who cares, it's acted and directed well enough that none of my alarms rung. But then the rape scene happens, and the movie falls off a cliff... and then the revenge happens, and the plummeting movie somehow manages to fall into the mouth of a bottomless pit and just keeps falling, getting worse and worse until the end. The "kill" with the crows, JESUS, I want that image OUT of my goddamn brain.

Yeah, at least Ms. .45 had the vaguely appealing Nietchzhean sub-text of vengeance turning victim into monster even though the whole Death Wish 2 deal of vividly depicting violent rape still turns my stomach.

If you want to watch some proper vengeance themed horror / thrillers, go chat with Park Chan-wook.

While Thriller - A Cruel Picture/They Call Her One-Eye isn't full of amazing writing or acting, it's definitely up there as far as rape/revenge movies go, and the amount of sleaze involved in the production only add to it.  Christina Lindberg's character would have been great as a Charles Bronson in Death Wish type exploitation series character.

Rolling Stone had a top 10 list for 2015 horror movies, and put It Follows at #1, but it doesn't sound like the person who wrote the blurb for it actually understood the premise of the movie.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/lists/10-best-horror-movies-of-2015-20151223

David Robert Mitchell's indie-frightfest phenomenon is predicated on the fact that a zombie-like state can be passed on by sexual contact from one person to the next, like a chain letter or a haunted J-horror videotape. And the killer can often be anybody lurking somewhere in the background; once possessed, they start walking towards you, often in a straight line from the depths of the frame.

Spring needed to be a little higher on that list and Goodnight Mommy needed to be #1 with it Follows being #2. 

All of the rest are placed about right.

I know it is now en vogue to hate on It Follows since the masses are finally catching up to and gushing over a movie we snobs have known about for ages, but let's not sleep on how good it really is. 

Best of the 2010's?  We'll see.

Its not going to be an Anthology series is pretty shitty. No Crypt Keeper, they aren't doing an episodic anthology series. I would imagine the only reason they are even calling it this is to gain more eyes than if they called it something else entirely. 

So, it's Tales From The Crypt but not Tales From The Crypt. Lame. Horror anthologies were a key part of being a boy in the early '90s. And now after going back and watching all of the original Twilight Zone and a shit tonne of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, it's one of my favourite genres of TV. If not for Star Trek, Twilight Zone would be my favourite series.

Its not going to be an Anthology series is pretty shitty. No Crypt Keeper, they aren't doing an episodic anthology series. I would imagine the only reason they are even calling it this is to gain more eyes than if they called it something else entirely. 

Looks like it will be Tales in name only merely for the immediate recognition. 

Which is dumb if you are not going to have any of the other Crypt elements in play. 

Just call it something else.