DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

Later on, it turns into a combination of Lovecraft's "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" and every lesbian vampire movie ever.

What an awesome thing wasted on this shitty movie.

It actually made progressively less sense as it went on, eventually crashing to a halt with some kind of dream scene or... something. I dunno, she suddenly hallucinates all this other stuff is going on, and it breaks every law of narrative continuity in the world. The movie overall felt like an American was trying to copy the Italian horror style, but didn't know anything about it other than "okay, we've got overacting, and bad dubbing, and it feels like half the footage was edited out at random, and oh yeah once every ten minutes we come up with an interesting visual... nailed it!"

1983's Austrian film Angst is getting a re-release. I've never heard about this before now, but I'll be damned if it couldn't have been shot last year from the looks of it, both in tone and cinematography... pretty intense, to say the least. Apparently a big influence on Gaspar Noe of Irreversable infamy. 

NSFW if you didn't guess

So Damien is a sexy sexy young man instead of a creepy kid?  For fuck's sake.  I blame Bates Motel for this bullshit.

Seems like something the CW network would do, tbh.

"Can he be a handsome but generic-looking hunk?"

"He's the Anti-Christ!"

"That doesn't mean he can't have dimples and a six pack though."

Paranormal Activity could potentially make a great TV show.  The story is actually quite interesting, it's just the movies go at an annoying snail's pace, plot wise.

You've got this evil cult of witches take over the world and the daughter from the second film trying to stop them.

It wouldn't even have to be found footage. 

Scream has a television series and now The Omen.  At least the Friday the 13th series was awesome without having anything to do with Jason Voorhees.

I eagerly await a Friday the 13th TV series with a sexy Jason who wears the mask because he's disfigured on the inside.  A hot  actress 5-10 years older than him will play Mrs. Vorhees.

YouTube restored my childhood when people were posting full episodes of Kolchak: The Night Stalker, Night Gallery, Ray Bradbury Theater, and The Darkroom (with James Coburne narrating) online.

Ah, when HBO was in the scares business, Tales From The Crypt and The Hitchhiker ruled.

Perversions of Science... not so much...

Showtime also had some decent anthology shows.  Masters of Horror was hit or miss but The Hunger and Dead Man's Gun (a horror / western hybrid) turned in a few good eps.

The reboots of The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits had some swank episodes.

This particular episode of The new Twilight Zone CREEPED ME THE HELL OUT~! when I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHxR3RvdYhw

I loved Terence Stamp's intros and outros for The Hunger. Masters of Horror had a couple of strong episodes; I liked Imprint and Family.

Dream Cruise was good too. That ghost was genuinely pretty creepy.

Monsters had some good episodes. Tales from the Darkside's first season was good but got pretty generic after. Of course Chiller plays the latter (and Friday the Series) ad infinitum if anyone wants to revisit.

EDIT: Oh, and Tales from the Darkside: The Movie is seriously underrated, check that out if you haven't before! Just check out the cast:

Christian Slater

Steve Buscemi

Debbie Harry

David Johansen

Julianne Moore

Ray Dawn Chong

Robert Klein

James Remar

William Hickey (the uncle from Christmas Vacation, anyone?)

Yeah, that should make you wanna track it down.

I loved Terence Stamp's intros and outros for The Hunger. Masters of Horror had a couple of strong episodes; I liked Imprint and Family.

Dream Cruise was good too. That ghost was genuinely pretty creepy.

Cigarette Burns was the best episode.  John Carpenter, holy shit.  Oh, and Pelts..  *shivers*

• Like 4