DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: KEN ANDERSON

RIPPA

Yeah, somewhere on a world only reachable via wormhole, Ken Anderson is a really good main event guy.

I think only Boogeyman beats Mr. Anderson as being the worst worker with a totally awesome gimmick.

He strikes me as a guy who would've been a star in a really small territory during the territory days, a big fish in a small pond, but would've been a midcarder at best in a larger territory.

He should've basically stolen Austin Idol's gimmick.

I still remember him turning up on the weekend show (I think it was Velocity) and doing the Mr. Anderson schtick and it was mind-blowing how good he was at it and why he was debuting it on Velocity instead of Raw/Smackdown, then, all of a sudden, he was up on the main roster with the tweaked name and doing it.

I often wonder if he hadn't failed that drug test what would have become of him.

I have a friend who has no interest in wrestling but loved the screaming gimmick. He still asks me whatever happened to "KENNEDY!!" My favorite Kennedy moment was when he gave Hornswoggle the Green Bay Plunge off the top of a ladder at Mania 23. And that was only really because Hornswoggle was crazy enough to take the bump.

I remember Mr. Kennedy for losing the chance to win the World Heavyweight Championship on the injured Undertaker in May 2007 because a doctor misdiagnosed Kennedy's injury, the failed drug test and his excuses for it. Not forgetting:

However this is the one that first comes to mind, THAT chairshot.

Fuck Mr. Kennedy/Anderson.

• Like 1

Anderson is a guy who seemed like he had a lot of potential, but never lived up to the hype. And he's a sneakily bad wrestler in some really peculiar ways. Bryan Alvarez ranted on a weekly basis about every single botch Kennedy ever committed, but I remember one that never got mentioned and was utterly inexplicable.

In a match with Jeff Hardy, Jeff lays Kennedy out with a move and climbs up to go for the Swanton bomb. And after Jeff jumps, while he's in midair... Ken tries to sit up. Not move out of the way, not looking like he was even trying to dodge Jeff at all, but just raises his torso off the mat and pokes his head up while otherwise not moving at all. Of course, Jeff goes SPLAT spine-first right onto the top of Kennedy's skull. It's a miracle neither one of them was seriously injured. The thing is, with most botches, you can at least tell what was supposed to happen; like the infamous time Cena tore his pectoral muscle, where they were trying for a simple hiptoss spot and Cena was moving a bit too fast and Kennedy was a bit out of position and they fell down went boom. No, the Mysterious Situp is the kind of thing you'd only expect out of either 1.some untrained greenhorn who had no idea what he was doing, or 2.the performer showed up in truly No Condition To Perform and their judgement was just gone. Anderson is neither; why the hell is he fucking stuff up like that? It ain't brain surgery, it's just taking a top-rope move while you're down, you either roll horizontally out of the way or simply don't move at all (aside from the usual "tilt your head slightly to the side and put your arms up just a tiiiiny bit to help catch the guy and absorb the impact" routine). Seriously, how does any kind of experienced pro screw up a spot like that?

Huh. I always thought you did that because it lessened the impact on both guys.

When you lift up just an inch or two, sure. Like, watch Ricky Morton take a frog splash or moonsault, that's how you're supposed to do it. But in this case, Kennedy was doing something more like an Undertaker Sit-up, poking his head WAY up in the air but not moving his body out of the way, there's no reason you'd ever do that when someone is hitting you with a senton off the top.