DVDVR Message Board

LEGO Films.

On 07 February 2017 at 0:17 PM, J.T. said:

So yeah.  It doesn't debut until Friday but The Lego Batman movie is 98% Fresh on RT.

Hope to see The Lego Batman movie ASAP. My most antcipated 2017 comic book movie, nothing has knocked it from pole position.

On 2/7/2017 at 10:11 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

I'm still excited to see this on Monday, but on looking at the cast list I am annoyed as shit that this is the 3rd time Bane has appeared in a theatrical film and he's never been played by a Latino.

For us "Doug Loves Movies" fans, Doug Benson doing Bane's voice is awesome. ( It's a long running joke from the podcast.)

Yeah, that was fantastic.  One of my favorite bits was Alfred telling Batman, 

Spoiler

you haven't looked like this since 2016, 2012, 2008, 2004... and on and on, with lego mock-ups of each of the previous Batman movies. 

Oh and the microwave scene was the best.

Part of the problem with this is that the self-referential jokes would have mattered so much more fifteen years ago. I would have gone absolutely nuts for a Bat-Shark-Repellent joke back then. Now, I feel like it's constantly showing up on buzzfeed lists or something. Think about something like the Shockmaster in wrestling. It felt like some sort of geek calling card in 2000. Now it's probably all 95% of people even know about Ottman because we're in memeworld. That doesn't mean I didn't appreciate some of the deeper cuts on that level, but "that level" in and of itself feels a little played out. 

In general I think you're not that far off with the notion that 'the internet did a lot of these jokes already and thus if this film existed before the internet, it would have been fresher' but I still think they delivered. Mostly by virtue of tying stuff to storylines and character beats...the Bat Shark Repellant ends up being less a jab at 66 (since they clearly LOVE Batman 66) and more a play on how the gritty serious prepared for anything Batman gets hilarious at extremes...which is paid off when it ACTUALLY WORKS later. By not being especially critical of any one take on Batman and sort of creating a hodgepodge of all versions, it makes the jokes theirs instead of just a rehashing.

I felt, anyway. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...