DVDVR Message Board

LEGO Films.

Figured that's missing with the feature length films in cinemas and direct to DVD. Batman was the best thing in The LEGO Movie (2014), Batman gets his own film in The LEGO Batman Movie (2017) which I'm most looking forward to, The Lego Movie Sequel (2018) which I imagine will feature the comic book heroes who appeared in the original and now...

LAS VEGAS, April 22, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- On July 20, 2018, Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, the directors of The Lego Movie, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and 21 and 22 Jump Street, are taking Spider-Man back to his graphic roots with the first-of-its-kind animated Spider-Man feature, it was announced today at CinemaCon by Tom Rothman, chairman of the Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group. The film will exist independently of the projects in the live-action Spider-Man universe, all of which are continuing.

Lord & Miller are masterminding the project, writing the treatment and producing the film.

As previously announced, Spider-Man will next appear in a live-action Marvel film from Marvel's Cinematic Universe (MCU). Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, a live-action film being produced by Kevin Feige at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. The animated film from Lord & Miller, dated July 20, 2018, has Avi Arad, Matt Tolmach, and Pascal also serving as producers.

Spider-Man, embraced all over the world, is the most successful franchise in the history of Sony Pictures, with the five films having taken in more than $4 billion worldwide.

Already looking forward to that. Josh Keaton for Spidey please and NOT Drake Bell.

• 11 months later...
5 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Can we discuss the DTV Lego Batman/Justice League films here? Because all of them have been totally solid except the Bizarro one so far, but also because that seems to be becoming its own thing.

I'm cool with that. My Sister bought me a DVD box set of Justice League vs. Bizzaro League and Batman The Movie: DC Super Heroes Unite I've yet to watch.

The Super Heroes Unite one is a blast. The Bizarro one is...bad. Which...I wanted it to be otherwise so badly. It has a few high spots but woof. That said, it has the Batman Be-Leaguered Special on it too and that's terrific so it all works out.

The Legion of Doom one is a lot of fun. I've picked up Cosmic Clash but haven't watched it yet. The concept is bananas with Braniac, time travel, and the Legion so fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Thank you. So there's Super Heroes Unite, Batman Be-Leaguered, Bizarro, Legion of Doom and Cosmic Clash. Is that all of them?

So far, yeah. Cosmic Clash just hit a couple weeks ago so I wouldn't be surprised if another gets announced or has low key already been though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

So far, yeah. Cosmic Clash just hit a couple weeks ago so I wouldn't be surprised if another gets announced or has low key already been though.

Cheers. Touch wood I'll hopefully get the time to watch the two I have.

• 2 months later...

We've known for a while now that Phil Lord and Chris Miller's animated Spider-Man movie won't be set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, so if this new rumour is to be believed, we probably won't be seeing Miles Morales in live-action for quite some time. Heroic Hollywood reports that the character will be the focus of this movie, a decision sure to potentially please as many fans as it ultimately upsets. 

After all, Miles taking centre stage in this animated feature surely reduces the chance of him being introduced in the new Spider-Man franchise, but that's purely speculation on our part, and by no means set in stone (Kevin Feige however has made it clear that Marvel intends to keep the focus on Peter Parker for the time being). Regardless, there's no denying this is good news for fans of Miles! 

While it may be in an animated setting, the young hero getting the spotlight is no bad thing, and it will surely up his profile enough that a live-action version may be considered. For now, we'll have to wait and see, but expect more details as we get closer to that December 21st, 2018 release date.

Credit: comicbookmovie.com

I like Miles Morales, I do but I'd much rather have Peter's Spidey as first choice. I'd prefer Miguel O'Hara, Spider-Gwen and SpOck (I can dream about the latter two dammit!) to Miles.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...