DVDVR Message Board

Harbinger Wars!

Sony and Valiant announced today that they're doing a five movie set with Bloodshot and Harbinger, with the first Bloodshot solo film to debut in 2017. As the resident Valiant booster, I'm excited about this, though I hope this doesn't mean that Archer&Armstrong will be shunted off with another company in a segregated universe.

Hollywood Reporter artixle, linked from Valiant's page so presumably legit. How does this affect Spider-Man?

I hope this actually comes to pass, unlike all those properties in the 90's that got optioned but never made, remember Doom's IV?

If they do a Harbinger movie, I hope we get a proper Stnachek story. I only read the origin story of this version but I hope its just as good as the original.

I really love the modern Harbinger series, but I've only read the first 3 issues of the original. But Harbs was what got me into Valiant 3.0 in the first place, so I've got high hopes.

Among the original Shooter Valiant stuff, I think Harbringer was the weakest. Harada worked great as a big bad, but the good guys were generally despicable. 

Sony making it worries me.

The more I think about it, the more I think making Bloodshot first and Harbs second was a mistake. The first year of Bloodshot v3.0 does an excellent job of taking a Rambo/Cannon Films-style 1980s "machine gun hero" (for lack of a better description) story and making it work in a superhero context, but it's not a very good way to launch a shared universe. It bugs me more and more that Archer&Armstrong was sold off independently, because THAT is a story you can use to launch a universe (not least because Project Rising Spirit, the PMC Bloodshot initially works for, is one of the groups A&A have to contend with). Sony have already proven capable of fucking up Spider-Man, which means they can fuck up basically anything, but I want these to be good so badly that I'm trying to remain hopeful. (Did I ever mention my dream Spidey film on here? It would use the "Steve Irwin pastiche" version of Kraven from the Ultimate comics and involve days or weeks of Peter trying desperately to keep heroing while being dogged by TV camera crews and a lunatic who wants to unmask and/or kill him on live TV.)

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Apologies for bringing back a dead thread, I may have missed any talk about Bloodshot the movie. Holy cow just what were they thinking, it was so cheesy and bah gawd awful! Diesel plays this as Toretto with powers, being he's mostly in wifebeaters for the majority of the movie and of course his cars go zoom fetish. Theres so much padding in the film, making so many scenes with slow-motion that I thought didn't really need it. Another of those "plot hammer- the movie" type films where everything HAS to happen in a certain sequence of events to get to the ending instead of anything feeling logical and thought out.

Full disclosure I don't remember reading any of the Bloodshot series since the Valiant reboot and only read less than a handful of comics during the original run, so if the series was all plot hammer logic the whole time then my bad for lack of familiarity. Don't call it Bloodshot, give it another name and a half decent team of writers and maybe this could be something worth a watch.