DVDVR Message Board

2015 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

Inside Out is still at 100% - though it is still sitting at 25 reviews

The shitty trailer is going to fuck everyone.  That movie is going to make tons of cash and get great reviews.

Actually, people were mostly on point for Inside Out.  On average it was placed 1st on people's RT lists and 4th on their box office lists.  And the lowest anyone ranked it on their RT list was 5th, so it's not going to cause any disasters.  (Although a decent number of people did leave it off their lists, maybe because of that trailer - 7 people left it off their RT list and 8 people left it off their box office list.)

(Although a decent number of people did leave it off their lists, maybe because of that trailer - 7 people left it off their RT list and 8 people left it off their box office list.)

This is precisely what I was trying to bring up.   Gambling on IO and putting it on your ballot will help since most people ranked it pretty high in BO and RT.  

Omitting it may cost you if you blew it on other picks.  I think the most recent and rather blah trailer for IO had a lot to do with people keeping it off of their list.

(Although a decent number of people did leave it off their lists, maybe because of that trailer - 7 people left it off their RT list and 8 people left it off their box office list.)

This is precisely what I was trying to bring up.   Gambling on IO and putting it on your ballot will help since most people ranked it pretty high in BO and RT.  

Omitting it may cost you if you blew it on other picks.  I think the most recent and rather blah trailer for IO had a lot to do with people keeping it off of their list.

Hopefully it will for me. Developed this mentality:

It's still good! It's still good!

UPDATE 6 OF 20 - through June 11

Standings
1 [ 4] Rippa - 2 points (2/0, tiebreak 0.322)
2 [ 6] Sublime - 2 points (0/2, tiebreak n/a)
3 [ 5] IVPvideos - 4 points (2/2, tiebreak 0.765)
4 [ 1] Death From Above - 4 points (0/4, tiebreak n/a)
5 [ 3] S.K.o.S. - 6 points (0/6, tiebreak 0.262)
6 [ 9] SorceressKnight - 6 points (0/6, tiebreak 1.403)
7 [ 10] Phantom Lord - 6 points (2/4, tiebreak 3.085)
8 [ 7] Paco - 8 points (4/4, tiebreak 0.382)
9 [ 8] The Z - 8 points (2/6, tiebreak 0.442)
10 [ 2] hobo joe - 8 points (0/8, tiebreak n/a)
11 [ 13] DreamBroken - 8 points (4/4, tiebreak n/a)
12 [ 15] Hail Sabin - 8 points (2/6, tiebreak n/a)
13 [ 12] The Natural - 10 points (2/8, tiebreak n/a)
14 [ 19] _MJ_ - 10 points (4/6, tiebreak n/a)
15 [ 14] Skeeball Wizard - 14 points (6/8, tiebreak 1.624)
16 [ 17] Ligerbusa - 14 points (4/10, tiebreak n/a)
17 [ 20] RossWB - 14 points (2/12, tiebreak n/a)
18 [ 16] JRGoldman - 16 points (4/12, tiebreak 0.442)
19 [ 11] The Veeg - 16 points (8/8, tiebreak 2.224)
20 [ 18] Control - 16 points (2/14, tiebreak n/a)

Box office
1 [- 1] Avengers: Age of Ultron - $416,150,025 (28 days)
2 [- 2] Mad Max: Fury Road - $134,487,847 (28 days)
3 [- 3] Tomorrowland - $80,190,413 (21 days)
4 [NEW] Spy - $40,937,244 (7 days)
5 [ 4] Hot Pursuit - $32,934,354 (28 days)
6 [- 6] Entourage - $21,530,472 (9 days)
7 [ 5] Aloha - $18,009,123 (14 days)

Rotten Tomatoes
1 [- 1] Mad Max: Fury Road - 260/265 = 98% (28 days)
2 [NEW] Spy - 165/173 = 95% (7 days)
3 [ 2] Avengers: Age of Ultron - 194/261 = 74% (28 days)
4 [ 3] Tomorrowland - 103/206 = 50% (21 days)
5 [ 4] Entourage - 36/128 = 28% (9 days)
6 [ 5] Aloha - 26/128 = 20% (14 days)
7 [ 6] Hot Pursuit - 8/119 = 7% (28 days)

Spy receiving 95% over at RT is just mind blowing. It looks like SKOS was the only one to see that one coming and I don't know what kind of witchery you used to do it either! How?!

Spy receiving 95% over at RT is just mind blowing. It looks like SKOS was the only one to see that one coming and I don't know what kind of witchery you used to do it either! How?!

It screened at SXSW back in March and everyone loved it.  It had something like 15 positive reviews (and 0 negative) on RT just based on that, weeks before I even started this thread.

Only one person put Jurassic World at the top of their box office list: The Veeg.  13 out of the remaining 19 of us had it either second or third though.  Biggest victim here will be The Z, who had it at eighth.

While no one left Jurassic World off their box office list, 12 people left it off their RT list, which was more than any other movie.

Yikes, I had no idea people were clamoring this much for a Jurassic Park sequel.

I'm also the guy, who put Inside Out at 5th place on the RT list, so I can basically give up at this point.

I honestly have hated the Jurassic World trailers, mainly in the sense that I really feel they've given away almost all the big moments in the film. If they haven't then it has to be some kind of Michael Bay-ish movie.

I still hope it's pretty good. I mean, I was born in '81 (and I was crazy about dinosaurs as a little kid) so it goes without saying Jurassic Park coming out in '93 was right in my fucking wheelhouse of childhood memories.

I've lost my mojo.

I had Jurassic at #3 on my box office list after a long debate between putting Minion or it at number 2.  I went with the kids.  I definitely did not see this big of a box office coming.  I personally didn't (and still don't, honestly) have much interest in it which probably effected my ranking.

I kept it off my RT list because the trailers for it were all over the place.   The RT score is at a respectable 70% percent, which is higher than I would have guessed.

The next couple of weeks are going to be interesting because this is the time where the bulk of the franchise sequels/prequels get release.

I honestly have hated the Jurassic World trailers, mainly in the sense that I really feel they've given away almost all the big moments in the film. If they haven't then it has to be some kind of Michael Bay-ish movie.

I still hope it's pretty good. I mean, I was born in '81 (and I was crazy about dinosaurs as a little kid) so it goes without saying Jurassic Park coming out in '93 was right in my fucking wheelhouse of childhood memories.

Literally this, word for word.

• Like 1

I've lost my mojo.

I had Jurassic at #3 on my box office list after a long debate between putting Minion or it at number 2.  I went with the kids.  I definitely did not see this big of a box office coming.  I personally didn't (and still don't, honestly) have much interest in it which probably effected my ranking.

I kept it off my RT list because the trailers for it were all over the place.   The RT score is at a respectable 70% percent, which is higher than I would have guessed.

The next couple of weeks are going to be interesting because this is the time where the bulk of the franchise sequels/prequels get release.

Nobody had it opening this strong.

Except me! :)

(insert yes.gif)

I also thought Aloha would be at least OK, so it's likely for naught.

• Like 1

Run of the mill 16th?  Damn.  So much for wasting away at the bottom... 

ALOHA and TOMORROWLAND are going to murder my picks.  In hindsight, I shouldn't have been so bullish on a Cameron Crowe movie's RT score -- it's been a while since he hit a HR.  Hindsight says I should have seen TOMORROWLAND's failure coming a bit, maybe because of the so-so trailers, but jeez... Brad Bird had been about as can't miss as you could get 'til now.  Bah.  

Jurassic World opened at over $200 million.

It needs to settle down a little bit because I need it to finish at #2

I'm sorry, bro.  My kid and I contributed our box office cash to that huge opening weekend.

Yeah my brother and father went to see it at a Regal/UA theater here in Brooklyn and it was one of their RPX showings. $40.50 for two adults. Problem was they thought it would be like $14 per adult, but RPX (regal premium experience) is $20 a ticket. It's basically on the IMAX screen with louder sound.

Anyways, most of that $200 million came from 3d and cash grabs like that.

EDIT: Anyway, looking at my list again. I'm not sure if I was right to put Ant Man at number 4 for box office. I mean it's Marvel so it will probably make money hand over fist, but I'm still not sure it should be so high. But you know, no one thought Guardians would do the business it did last year either. Minions is gonna make a killing though so my top 3 is still good.