DVDVR Message Board

What Wrestler or Wrestlers Got You Hooked?

OSJ

I was hooked by a guy in red trunks wrestling a guy in black trunks on an episode of Atlantic Grand Prix Wrestling. I had been vaguely aware of wrestling as this land of over-the-top characters, and was amazed that these two nondescript guys could put on such an entertaining match.

I still don't know their names.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, probably the Hulkster & the Warrior. I started watching the WWF around the 1991 Rumble, but may have been earlier as I vaguely recall seeing an earlier event on VHS, maybe WrestleMania VI, but the whole over the topness drew me in to be a wrestling fan. 

Windham/Rotunda were my first faves. Windham is still my all time favorite guy to watch. I quickly latched on to the Von Erichs and Kabuki, though. World Class was the perfect show to hook a young viewer at that time. Just a quick "cooler" show than WWF/NWA were putting out.

The very first wrestling match I saw was Jushin Liger VS Black Tiger (Eddie Guerrero). So... Yeah, that got me hooked immediately. It was an NJPW programme, so you also got a healthy dose of Pegasus Kid, Steiner Brothers, Hiroshi Hase, Scott Norton, Keiji Mutoh, Hellraisers... Rather difficult to not become a fan when seeing all of them.

Back in the early 90s, when the wrestling boom happened in the UK, those of us without Sky could only dream about what American wrestling was like, and I felt deep jealousy towards all my Sky owning friends telling me about these stars I could never see. I remember taking a shine to Ted DiBiase after seeing his action figure in Woolworths, under the mistaken illusion he wrestled in the suit, and I took to the Texas Tornado after reading a copy of the WWF magazine I was given, but WCW appearing on ITV changed everything

I remember my first ever match was Vinnie Vegas vs a jobber, where I was confused as to why the jobber wasn't fighting back, and I remember the main event was Scotty Flamingo vs Johnny B Badd. The next week is where I got hooked...Steve Austin won the TV title from Barry Windham in a hooky manner, and from that point in, I was addicted. I swiftly built up a set of favourites...Windham, Austin, Steamboat and, of course, Tom Zenk. The following year, when national hero Davey Boy Smith turned up, was the icing on the cake. Man, WCW ruled.

I had a lot of hooks that in one way or another fueled me to want more, from being a little kid through my early 20's.

Randy Savage's crazy costume is my first concrete memory of wrestling though I am sure I must have seen a little before that. First time he did the flying elbow I was like wow this shit's okay.

"Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase was the first heel I remember justifying liking as a kid because I just thought he was a good wrestler, and shouldn't that matter?

Hulk Hogan because Hulk Hogan.

Then came Bret Hart who being a guy relatively local to me was a huge deal.

Skip a few years into the early explosion of the internet combined with being a teenager, and I had my ECW phase. Sabu is a sloppy shitty wrestler. I loved him very much. Sabu was everything an angry teenager with no attention span wants in wrestling.

Terry Funk.

Then a Japanese phase through Funk into all that fucked up hardcore stuff. Atsushi Onita.

Then Jumbo Tsuruta. Long ass matches that blew my mind.

Mitsuharu MIsawa.

The end.

Hulk Hogan in 80's WWF. More specifically, sometime after Wrestlemania IV, during the build-up for Wrestlemania V. I watched the Mega-Powers team-up & explode over Savage's jealousy. I think my family ordered the Survivor Series that year as it was on Thanksgiving & we had a lot of family over. I was pretty young & watched it with my cousin. So sometime around Survivor Series 1987 if I had to pinpoint it exactly.

I also remember a lot of the Hulk Hogan Vs. Zeus stuff and the No Holds Barred movie release.  :lol: