DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: ROB VAN DAM

RIPPA

I wanted to post Goldust vs RVD from No Way Out 2002 but I could only find it broken up on dailymotion and as highlights on youtube.

----

Rob Van Dam is the worst wrestler ever.

I'm not even sure entirely how to begin here. The easiest way would be to listing the litany of times where his opponent attempted some sort of limbwork (The Benoit series stands out, but that Goldust match is a great example too), but that doesn't really do it justice since that's just a symptom of a bigger problem.

Maybe the best way to look at Rob Van Dam is as a Punch out character. Bald Bull. He has a limited number of things that he can do, that he is programmed to do, and if presented with a situation outside of the ability for the programming to handle, he'll just do what he would have done anyway.

You can say "Giant Silva!" or "Great Khali!" or "Giant Gonzales!" or whatever, but to do so misses the entire point. RVD's physical skills make him a worse wrestler, because he cannot use them in any sort of meaningful way. It's far better to be a wrestler who can do almost nothing but that still manages to do that almost nothing with at least a little bit of competence, than to be a wrestler who can do anything but never manages to do anything right. Any wrestler who can only have good matches when another wrestler specifically caters to him is not a good wrestler. At best, he's a decent tool.

If an idiot savant is someone who can do impressive things despite himself, RVD is a savant idiot. Despite his ability to do impressive things effortlessly, he somehow manages to completely get wrestling wrong.

Maybe he's just an idiot.

Or you know, high. 

• Like 2

He deserves credit for not being crippled up over all these years. In that way he's either incredibly lucky or incredibly smart in how he takes his bumps, which is not what you would think if you look at that piledriver or how he takes any RKO or DDT. 

The only match I could think of to post is the Bam Bam one where his leaps of faith completely sealed his worship from the ECW mutants, but I already did that one in the Bam Bam thread so go check that out there. 

He deserves credit for not being crippled up over all these years. In that way he's either incredibly lucky or incredibly smart in how he takes his bumps, which is not what you would think if you look at that piledriver or how he takes any RKO or DDT. 

I wanna say it was in one of his shoot interviews - but I know he credits his stretching (and natural flexibility) to helping him avoid injuries that other folks have naturally gotten over the course of time.

Whether that is actually the reason... who knows?

I'm not even sure entirely how to begin here. The easiest way would be to listing the litany of times where his opponent attempted some sort of limbwork (The Benoit series stands out, but that Goldust match is a great example too), but that doesn't really do it justice since that's just a symptom of a bigger problem.

Man did I hate me some ECW Van Dam. Kicking out of things like top rope power bombs as if he just took a snap mare. Other than maybe Ruckus, he's the worst purveyor of "gymnastics as wrestling" I've ever seen.

vs Stone Cold Steve Austin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd7b8dPVxFU

vs Kurt Angle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IZ3UB6mUFc

vs The Rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BENtN_40Fmk

w/The Rock vs Undertaker and Chris Jericho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEaz5MXJsls

w/Ric Flair vs Brock Lesnar and Undertaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC5VjTm49-w

• Like 1

Man did I hate me some ECW Van Dam. Kicking out of things like top rope power bombs as if he just took a snap mare. Other than maybe Ruckus, he's the worst purveyor of "gymnastics as wrestling" I've ever seen.

Ruckus at least had the schlock value when he was a big boy doing all those huge spots.

Not gonna lie from 97-01 RVD was one of my favorites. I thought he was having a good run for the first time in forever around the time he won the WWE world title then that got cut short lol. Also remember really liking RVD vs Brock.

His match with Kroffat back a page was definitely a carry job of epic proportions, especially given Rob's limitations in that time period, but watch it for his strikes. They're hilariously bad even by modern RVD standards. It's like he watched Bloodsport that night and had to get in his little kick flurry that I think the audience laughed at. Alas, his punches were probably even worse then. When he was in WWE at first and stiffing the shit out of everyone with his kicks is when I enjoyed him the most for some reason. Probably because they actually looked dangerous for once because he kept busting guys open.

I wanna say it was in one of his shoot interviews - but I know he credits his stretching (and natural flexibility) to helping him avoid injuries that other folks have naturally gotten over the course of time.

Whether that is actually the reason... who knows?

We all know it is the weed, man.

Loved RVD's air brushed tights and hated his wrestling.  For a guy who worked a martial arts gimmick, his martial arts needed a lot of fucking work.   His kicks were either sloppy or too stiff and he could not throw a punch to save his life.

I will sing with the choir extolling the virtues of the Five-Star Froggie and the Van Terminator.   RVD could hit that splash no matter where or what the position was of the guy taking the move, so no business exposing prone movement from the guy on the mat (*cough* Kevin Sullivan *cough*) and the Van Terminator was just a devastating spot.