DVDVR Message Board

BOLA 2015

Digging the show shows so far.  I'm a few matches into night 1.  I enjoyed Melissa Santos doing the LU style intros, including "They Call Him......Cage" and I'm amazed she can get in and out of the ring in that outfit.  Cage/Aerostar had a few blown spots but was still good, same for Busick/Everertt, Ospreay/Andrews was fucking NICE.  Commentary, as always, is awesome.  Aerostar did a flip dive and Excalibur yelled, "that's how Chuck Taylor lost his leg to gangrene!"  Not as good as "El Generico is a big boy!!" but close.   Great great show so far.  Left off with ICMG vs Guerros del Cielo.

You'll know the rana when you see it but you'll also see the reverse rana in every goddamned match on the tournament (pet peeve me and my friends noticed)

Yeah I just wrote up night one for Segunda Caida and said the same thing.

BOLA Night One

I didn't love Sydal v. Fenix as much as some folks, probably a problem with card placement, as we saw so many highspots earlier in the show that it made their stuff less impressive. Everett had this incredible leaping single motion reverse rana in his match and it didn't nearly have the impact it should have because of the dozen reverse ranas that followed it. Show could have used a backstage agent.

The other thing about all those reverse ranas is that it was the weekend after Sasha/Bayley with that top rope reverse rana of death

My favorite thing was that goof Alvarez speculating everyone did reverse ranas at BOLA because of this match. As if the reverse rana had never been used on an indy show before. What a tool.

The reverse ranas didn't bother me that much but I don't mind excess. It got a bit much during Fenix/Sydal since nothing was gonna top the one Andrews gave O'Spreay.

The last thing PWG needs is agents. Just more communication between the locker room so 3 different guys aren't all planning to end their matches with 630's.

You'll know the rana when you see it but you'll also see the reverse rana in every goddamned match on the tournament (pet peeve me and my friends noticed)

Yeah I just wrote up night one for Segunda Caida and said the same thing.

BOLA Night One

I didn't love Sydal v. Fenix as much as some folks, probably a problem with card placement, as we saw so many highspots earlier in the show that it made their stuff less impressive. Everett had this incredible leaping single motion reverse rana in his match and it didn't nearly have the impact it should have because of the dozen reverse ranas that followed it. Show could have used a backstage agent.

I've watched a few PWG shows by now, and I enjoy them, but they never go anything higher than fun for me. As you said, part of that is the PWG bloat. Part of that has to do with guys using repeated big moves in different matches and the styles of guys from one match to the next now being too different. It's a promotion that I really wish I could experience live someday because I think it's a drastically different experience in person than it is on DVD, and its fine entertainment on my tv.

If you just watched BOLA and are still in the mood for some awesome wrestling tournament action, I recommend shilling out $7.99 to get a subscription to Progress Wrestling's streaming service to watch this year's Super Strong Style Tournament. Amongst others they've got they've got Zack Sabre Jr., Roderick Strong, Tommy End, Tommaso Ciampa, Will Ospreay, Marty Scurrl and Dave Mastiff. I just watched Day 2 and I'll be damned, if it wasn't almost as good as BOLA.

• 2 weeks later...

After BOLA '15, what could they possibly pull off for ASW?

Zack Sabre Jr. is unfortunately already booked for wXw that weekend, so Strong/Sabre II can't happen.

They had Tozawa over earlier this year. If they could get a Team DG vs. Team LU match on the card, that would be awesome.