DVDVR Message Board

UFC 186: Johnson vs. Horiguchi (4/25/2015) - Montréal, Québec, Canada (Bell Centre)

Elsalvajeloco

20150326125859_ufc_186_poster.PNG

UFC 186: Johnson vs. Horiguchi

April 25, 2015

Montréal, Québec, Canada (Bell Centre)

UFC Flyweight Championship: Demetrious Johnson © (124.5) vs. Kyoji Horiguchi (124.5) (sixth defense) - Johnson, SUB (armbar), R5 (4:59)

Quinton Jackson (216) vs. Fábio Maldonado (215) - Jackson, DEC (unanimous)

Michael Bisping (186) vs. C.B. Dollaway (185.5) - Bisping, DEC (unanimous)

John Makdessi (160) vs. Shane Campbell (161) - Makdessi, TKO (punches), R1 (4:53)

Yves Jabouin (136) vs. Thomas Almeida (135) - Almeida, TKO (strikes), R1 (4:18)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:

Patrick Côté (171) vs. Joe Riggs (171) - Côté, DEC (unanimous)

Alexis Davis (135) vs. Sarah Kaufman (136) - Davis, SUB (armbar), R2 (1:52)

Chad Laprise (156) vs. Bryan Barberena (156) - Laprise, DEC (unanimous)

Olivier Aubin-Mercier (155) vs. David Michaud (156) - Aubin-Mercier, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (3:24)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Nordine Taleb (170) vs. Chris Clements (170) - Taleb, DEC (unanimous)

Jessica Rakoczy (115) vs. Valérie Létourneau (116) - Létourneau, DEC (unanimous)

Aisling Daly (116) vs. Randa Markos (116) - Markos, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Thomas Almeida

Performance of the Night: Demetrious Johnson

Fight of the Night: Chad Laprise vs. Bryan Barberena

Attendance: 10,154

Gate: $668,000

Buyrate: 125,000

Cancelled Bouts:

Rory MacDonald vs. Hector Lombard - Lombard Pulled After Failing Drug Test at Prior Event

T.J. Dillashaw vs. Renan Barão - Injury to Dillashaw (Fractured Rib)

Nordine Taleb vs. Cláudio Silva - Injury to Silva (Broken Foot)

Abel Trujillo vs. John Makdessi - Injury to Trujillo (Broken Arm)

Fábio Maldonado vs. Steve Bossé - Maldonado Moved Back to Original Scheduled Bout

Guest Edwin

Rakoczy/Letourneau will be at 115 lbs. so they're both moving down.

Not sure what's up with Rakoczy, but she's been out for over a year and she has an interesting record at 1-4, 1 NC.

I'm sure the UFC will sell her as 4-4 adding up her 3 wins from TUF.

Isn't Cote/Riggs a rematch from years ago? Also this could do record low buys in North America.

Oh Yeah! I know I'm not buying it.

Rakoczy/Letourneau will be at 115 lbs. so they're both moving down.

Not sure what's up with Rakoczy, but she's been out for over a year and she has an interesting record at 1-4, 1 NC.

I'm sure the UFC will sell her as 4-4 adding up her 3 wins from TUF.

She did say on TUF 18 she is a single mother so maybe she didn't have the proper time to train for a fight. She also might have taken time off because she put lots of pressure on herself winning TUF to make a better life for her son it might have taken her a long time to get over losing the $100,000 contract fight.

I wish these fights were on FS1 instead of fight pass: Jessica Rakoczy vs. Valérie Letourneau  Aisling Daly vs. Randa Markos

Guest Edwin

Those prelims are all pretty uninteresting.

Randa Markos is the only fighter that really interest me from the prelims.

Would love to see Kyoji beat DJ, but I highly doubt Kyoji's the guy to beat DJ.

And yeah, there's a good chance this tanks as expected, if not worse PPV buyrate wise.

UFC 174 was tracking at 90,000 and then went to 95k to 115k. I mean I even have it down as 90k in the event thread. However, when you have fluctuating numbers, it's basically either/or. I expect this one to do between 100k and the UFC 177 number (125K iirc). So this one might track a little higher but still finish somewhere in the range of UFC 174.

It's still got a flyweight title fight with Demetrious Johnson, so I'm in.

Horiguchi can lose and still have a good fight with DJ. With Bagautinov, I definitely didn't feel that way. Bagautinov and Cariaso were there to just get housed.

Here is what I find intriguing:

If DJ is truly agitated that people keep asking about why he isn't a draw, why not call out Dillashaw and Faber or whomever else? This ain't like Roberto Duran in the late 70s or Shane Mosley in the late 90s where all they had to do is jump twelve pounds and get a giant mega payday. His options are extremely limited and at the same time, it's much easier for people to cast a shadow on him because he is often in sink or swim territory.

He has to champion making superfights. He has to go past just joking about facing those guys for $3 million. It is not like he isn't in the position to do it. If they wanna call me P4P this and that, I am gonna act like I am that and try to matchmake on my own. Forget Sean Shelby. Give me this guy and that guy. He doesn't even have to disparage people like McGregor. Just start calling them out, and the UFC will do their best to make those matchups. They're willing to do it. You just need to give them reason to do so.

• Like 2

Guest Edwin

That's what Dana has been telling fighters for years, yet they continue with the "I'll fight whoever the UFC wants me to" post fight interviews.

Something I remembered after my post Jessica Rakoczy probably moved down because on TUF 18 which I watched the DVD of in the last month. The Coaches and Fighters mentioned how she is small for the weight class including weighting under the 135 for one of the fights in the house so her moving down makes sense.

LOL seriously?  Goodness gracious.

I hope Rampage didn't start pigging out on cupcakes and McDonald's.

It's a catchweight of 215 now. He is flying to Montreal tomorrow.

BTW, Bosse is getting paid. I guess he will go back into retirement.

• Like 1

LOL seriously?  Goodness gracious.

I hope Rampage didn't start pigging out on cupcakes and McDonald's.

It's a catchweight of 215 now. He is flying to Montreal tomorrow.

Isn't everything over 205 considered heavyweight? I don't recall seeing a catchweight in MMA over 195 pounds.

Some more bad news kinda for this event.  Dish Network didn't renew its PPV deal with the UFC, and this event will not be available on Dish Network.

From the way Meltzer put it, it's not that big of a deal. It's a minor squabble that will probably get settled in the near future.

He also wrote about it:

These type of contractual impasses are rare. Both sides usually split the total revenue somewhere between a 40/60 and 50/50 level. If UFC 186 was to do 100,000 buys and 15 percent came from Dish at a $60 average, that's approximately $900,000 in revenue to be split up. UFC would not lose its share completely, because most fans who will want to see the show will find a way, and thus UFC is not likely to be hurt that badly. But Dish will lose their entire split.

The loss of DISH, which theoretically should cut 15 percent of the total U.S. buys from the show, will likely not hurt to anywhere near that level. Some fans double up with Dish and cable, and can order that way. Others will order via the Internet or order it via cable or DirecTV at a friend's house.

• Like 1

Makdessi is probably going into the cage with something else on his mind:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/4/24/8490495/ufc-gegard-mousasi-lawsuit-court-suing-fear-the-fighter-john-makdessi-mma-business-news

I knew this was going to eventually happen, but I didn't know it would end up in fighter-on-fighter litigation.

They probably want to try to get the Dish situation fixed up by the summer though, small potatoes for this PPV but if they get one with 600K+ buys it starts adding up.

Meltzer said it basically boils down to a minor squabble that led to the impasse. It didn't sound like anything that couldn't be solved before UFC 187.