DVDVR Message Board

DC TV THREAD

RIPPA

Gotham is Gotham, it's hit and miss. I still enjoy watching the show. I like the characters. 

Tonight in the UK we're up to episode 17 of Gotham. I've liked it for the most part mainly for the actor, Robin Lord Taylor's performance as the Penguin. Ben McKenzie makes for a better Detective Gordon than Batman. I like Donal Logue's Detective Bullock, good seeing him in live action for the first time and Anthony Carrigan's Vicvtor Zsasz. I get thrown at the way Falcone is pronounced having watched Batman Begins so many times. No wonder Bruce Wayne will go on to kick most of his rogues gallery as they're older than him (Penguin, Falcone, Maroni and the Riddler).

Is this the first time they have acknowledged Eddie's last name?  I don't recall them saying it out loud before.  Me and a buddy were talking about how good Flash is at answering a question, then adding 2 more to make you think about.  I can't remember the last time a show made me want to discuss with people the possibilities of where the story is going.

And in the aborted timeline, Cisco asked Wells if he was related to Eddie.

Things I want to see in season 2 but am fairly sure we won't:

Cobalt Blue

Somebody selling Velocity-9 (or Velocity-10) (actually might get)

Barry visiting the future

Plastique somehow returning

Speed Force mythology--Max Mercury maybe, even if he's been dead a hundred years?

MOPEE! (okay, not really.)

At this stage they should swerve and make Iris Killer Frost instead of Caitlin.

Why?

I said that halfway through last night's episode but they were leaning Caitlin as sort of over the top snarky. They resolved it by the end of the episode. But Iris, when she finds out every single person in the show lied to her, would have reason to be twisted somehow.

Anyway I think they almost have to do Max Mercury at some point.

I don't recall Cisco asking him that.  Interesting.

Yeah he did. I think it was something like this:

Wells: My name is Eobald Thawne.

Cisco: Like Eddie?

Wells: He's.... a distant relative

• Like 1

Is this the first time they have acknowledged Eddie's last name?  I don't recall them saying it out loud before.  Me and a buddy were talking about how good Flash is at answering a question, then adding 2 more to make you think about.  I can't remember the last time a show made me want to discuss with people the possibilities of where the story is going.

They've said Eddie's last name several times before, though it's mostly been in passing except for the conversation Cisco had with Wells in the alternate timeline.

At the risk of being all Back To The Future about this, surely Barry and co discovering the suit/tacheons etc. has more impact on the future timeline that bought Thawne back in time than the ramifications of Barry in the past?

Logically, shouldn't this all just end with some major change in the timeline that sees him never being able to discover the speed force, thus never going back in time and singing Johnny B Goode at the enchantment under the sea dance?

After watching Arrow tonight, I really have no idea where they go with the story from here. I can't buy Oliver Queen going back to fighting street thugs after the Ras stuff.

That was kind of a problem following the Deathstroke arc too. I think they'd do well building up and recurring villains to make them a bigger deal. Worked for Brick.

Regardless, this is sort of the last *big* card they've been building. I know they want HIVE to be a huge deal given the long background vibe but time alone doesn't give you the presence Deathstroke or Ra's carry.

After watching Arrow tonight, I really have no idea where they go with the story from here. I can't buy Oliver Queen going back to fighting street thugs after the Ras stuff.

That was kind of a problem following the Deathstroke arc too. I think they'd do well building up and recurring villains to make them a bigger deal. Worked for Brick.

Regardless, this is sort of the last *big* card they've been building. I know they want HIVE to be a huge deal given the long background vibe but time alone doesn't give you the presence Deathstroke or Ra's carry.

That's what I've been thinking.  I mean, they built Deathstroke up like they were on the brink of extinction.  By comparison, Ra's has felt like a step down, even though you don't really get much higher than him in the realm of DC villains, until you starting getting up to your Darkseids and what not.  Do they just try to co-op other Batman villains?

Green Arrow just has a really shitty mythos. 

Maybe they send Connor back from the future next season or something. Actually, that's probably what they should do. Flashforwards to 20 years in the future instead of Flashbacks. 

I would be quite content if they did away with the flashback scenes altogether. It was cool as shit the first season. It was OK to further the relationship between Queen and Wilson in the second season. I am not digging the current flashback stuff.