DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

On 6/17/2018 at 12:38 AM, TheVileOne said:

So...why is this costume still OK in 2018?

Short answer: Because it's iconic and thus has a lot of brand recognition.  Also DC's attempts to put her in something more modest have been miserable failures:

wonder-woman-46.jpg

This is from David Finch's recent run.  Ugh.  I'm fine with the idea of putting her in something modest, but I loathe Finch's design.

There's also this from J. Michael Stracyznski's run several years back.

newwwcostume-1277920074.jpg

I kinda liked this design, but a lot of fans reviled it and it didn't last long.

I get your point.  WW's glorified bikini bottoms and bra should bother me more than it does.  I've come to accept that putting her in anything very different is going to dilute the brand recognition and probably won't be accepted by a contingent of fans.  I don't really have a valid argument for why the costume should remain as is, but I'm not a fan of a radical redesign either.

Did Rucka ever address the costume?  He wrote her as a feminist icon during his two runs (and feuded with Frank Cho over Cho's cheesecake covers) and, honestly, if it's good enough for Greg Rucka, it's good enough for me. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:38 AM, TheVileOne said:

So...why is this costume still OK in 2018?

Compared to Power Girl and the costumes of most of the female members of the LSH in the 70's and 80's, Wonder Woman is wearing a burqa.

There's nothing immodest about Wonder Woman's costume.  There was also nothing immodest about Power Girl's costume until the Jim Lee redesign that made her breasts explode out of the formerly keyhole opening.  Sexy ≠ Sexist.  Diana's costume is empowering because she is not beholden to the often prudish nature of modern society.  She comes from an athletic culture, and her costume is no more revealing than any other athlete.

• Like 8

I like the pants version of the New52 costume they had in all the promo material, and the version they used in the Wonder Woman NBC pilot.  It seems like a lot of Jim Lee designs basically end at the waist, which really stand out in the New52 stuff he did.

I have no problem with the iconic look, and it has translated very well when worn by Gal Gadot.

I really liked the black pants and jacket, from the JMS Odyssey run. But it was never going to catch on because people hated that story. 

4 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

I have no problem with the iconic look, and it has translated very well when worn by Gal Gadot.

I really liked the black pants and jacket, from the JMS Odyssey run. But it was never going to catch on because people hated that story. 

That was such a weird story.

On 6/19/2018 at 11:34 AM, Betsy Zeidler said:

I like the pants version of the New52 costume they had in all the promo material, and the version they used in the Wonder Woman NBC pilot.  It seems like a lot of Jim Lee designs basically end at the waist, which really stand out in the New52 stuff he did.

I thought the Ne52 outfit was ok, but still not as good a the regular outfit and its many variations. I'm not sure how much of the New52 designs Lee was actually responsible of outside of approving them. I remember him particularly distancing himself from those terrible Teen Titans designs.

On 6/19/2018 at 8:32 AM, Betsy Zeidler said:

There's nothing immodest about Wonder Woman's costume.  There was also nothing immodest about Power Girl's costume until the Jim Lee redesign that made her breasts explode out of the formerly keyhole opening.  Sexy ≠ Sexist.  Diana's costume is empowering because she is not beholden to the often prudish nature of modern society.  She comes from an athletic culture, and her costume is no more revealing than any other athlete.

She's basically wearing a bodice. 

On 6/19/2018 at 11:32 AM, Betsy Zeidler said:

This.

The difference between how Wonder Woman is presented in her film when directed by Patty Jenkins vs. in Justice League (ASS SHOTS! SLOW PAN OVER HER ASS! DID YOU KNOW GAL GADOT HAS A GREAT ASS BECAUSE IT'S IMPORTANT IT BE SPOTLIGHTED) really highlights that the outfit matters less than the framing. That's why the costume looks very different when drawn by Ed Benes than it does when drawn by George Perez or Nicola Scott.

Assuming that perspectives of women need to be puritanical to not be sexist is way off base. Not least because a lot of women like stuff that's sexy, just less so stuff that's creepy and leering. The problem isn't that women don't like sexy women. The problem is that women dislike the male gaze notion of sexy and a majority of male directors/artists don't know how not to do that.

2 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

This.

The difference between how Wonder Woman is presented in her film when directed by Patty Jenkins vs. in Justice League (ASS SHOTS! SLOW PAN OVER HER ASS! DID YOU KNOW GAL GADOT HAS A GREAT ASS BECAUSE IT'S IMPORTANT IT BE SPOTLIGHTED) really highlights that the outfit matters less than the framing. That's why the costume looks very different when drawn by Ed Benes than it does when drawn by George Perez or Nicola Scott.

Assuming that perspectives of women need to be puritanical to not be sexist is way off base. Not least because a lot of women like stuff that's sexy, just less so stuff that's creepy and leering. The problem isn't that women don't like sexy women. The problem is that women dislike the male gaze notion of sexy and a majority of male directors/artists don't know how not to do that.

Well said. Much as I enjoyed the focus on Ms. Gadot's glorious glutes in JL, it's not fair to the actress, the character, or the fans.

Reminds me of a youtube video I watched not long ago that was talking about how Megan Fox's character is the true protagonist of the first Transformers movie. She's intelligent, resourceful, skilled, has a character arc and a backstory, etc - all far more than Shia B's character.  But because of the way she's framed, all we think of is T&A with her. I was guilty, too, of thinking of the character as nothing but airheady fanservice. I was amazed to see this analysis demonstrating how she was so much more on screen, but freaking Michael Bay ruined it. 

• Like 3

Having Diana panting in every scene she's in in JL also diminishes her (no one else is panting audibly after fights) and frames her as a sexual object (Heavy breathing is a mark of desire) especially in conjunction with the aforementioned sexist shooting choices.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 2:33 PM, Eivion said:

Is it odd that I recall no shots of Gal Gadot's ass from JL? I don't doubt any of what you people are saying. I just generally recall her coming across as a good leader to the team.

I have only seen the film once, but the bit I recall on this topic is one moment - I think at an airport - where the camera aims right at her as she walks away in her jeans (or otherwise tight pants). It was really obvious, IMO. 

11 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

I have only seen the film once, but the bit I recall on this topic is one moment - I think at an airport - where the camera aims right at her as she walks away in her jeans (or otherwise tight pants). It was really obvious, IMO. 

It was at the airport but I thought the camera followed her as she walked up to the plane.