DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

So despite having the lowest first week in the DCEU, Wonder Woman has had the biggest second and third week performances by far, with week three falling just shy of $60 million and taking it over $300 million domestic which moves it past Man of Steel and giving it a really good shot at becoming #1 in the DCEU domestically. Only $30 million behind BvS so a 50% drop would do it next week, a more likely continuation of 60% drops would get it done in two I think. So unless it falls off a cliff it's got that locked down basically. International has a bigger gap. $60 million to beat MoS and come out of last, $285 mil or so to get #1. That seems...less likely. But given the lower budget, this may well be their best earner. It's also the only one to likely earn money on Domestic alone.

Also it was confirmed by Eugene Brave Rock that Chief is a Blackfoot demigod named Napi, after Blackfoot film watchers noted in the unsubtitled introduction he makes to Diana in Blackfoot that he introduces himself as such. So that's a cool Easter Egg.

• Like 1

Finally saw WW today

- still dislike the color palette. 

- gadot really looked like ashley judd sometimes (i would consider that a plus)

- the villain swerve was a mild surprise. I thought it might be the British General, but i dont think that was played by anyone noteworthy, as opposed to Thewlis. 

- liked the comedy relief/supporting cast

on the whole, i prob liked it more than gotg2. 

Saw it Saturday and to say the least it's the best DC movie they've done in awhile.  Last one I really enjoyed was Dark Knight (though I liked DKR to a degree as well)  I'm with y'all about the CGI being weird, but at that point I was so into the movie that it didn't bother me much.  Aside from that it was really damn good.  Gal was a tremendous WW and the action was really awesome.

Since a lot of what worked has been covered I'll just say it's really fucking cool how much of an impact it's having.  I love so much that kids are looking up to WW and that Twitter post on here made me smile so damn much.  I also love how it was empowering for women without having to resort to putting down men.  Just feel a ton of positive vibes all around and I hope this is the start of some great DC movies going forward.

• Like 1

Thewlis is a guy that you just know is the secret bad guy. It's like if Peter Weller shows up in anything other than Robocop. FOR SURE he's going to turn out to be a bad guy. So early on I got an inkling that there would be some sort of swerve, but he looks like old Jack Gallagher who hasn't touched a weight in about 20 years. Based on that, I figured that the big bad would wind up being the German guy. He was pushed so heavily as the big bad that it took my mind off of Thewlis, which lead me to be ok with the swerve. I didn't have many problems with that.

Now, the action of that third act on the other hand and how out of place it was with the rest of the film I had a problem with. My friend who saw before me said that there's definitely some Dragonball Z inspired action, which struck me as weird because I didn't think Snyder would have anything to do with the direction. Then watching the first and second acts and seeing how Jenkins handled those action scenes really got me wondering just where this DBZ style fight was. And then it came. It just felt unlike anything else Jenkins directed prior to that scene that I'm nearly convinced it was Snyder handling that, like WB execs thought the ending needed to be punched up or something.

Oh, the last fight totally had that boss battle feel.

In fact, my daughter said that the German guy WW fights felt like a boss, but then there was actually another boss after that. It lead me to having my first mini boss/big boss discussion with my daughter. I'm so proud of her.

Whenever Wednesdays numbers come out today, Wonder Woman will pass Suicide Squad's domestic run, and it'll go over BvS on Thursday's numbers.

SS had a 14 week run, BvS 12. Wonder Woman is in week four.

Remember, Warner was shocked at how strongly it opened (beating their guidance by around $40 million) much like how they were shocked by the poor reception to BvS.

• Like 1

I don't know about that, WB was pretty confident leading up to the lift of the embargo.  I think they knew it was going to be received well by critics but they underestimated the OW and played it safe probably because there was a possibility of backlash after audiences were burnt by Suicide Squad. FWIW, Johns admitted Suicide Squad went off the rails even though he had nothing to do with it he was apologetic.  He did not say BvS was a bad movie, just that it was probably too dark. 

11 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

The consistency of Wonder Woman has been just ridiculous. I can't think of the last blockbuster that's had such small percentage drops week to week going into a month in theatres.

I'm interested to see how it's late legs will do with Spider-Man coming out.  It should still hold up well,  I think it gets to at least $375M which is insane for an origin 

Making an optimistic superhero movie will make you money.  A lesson DC should have learned back in '78. Hell, even the Burton Batmen were optimistic.

Yes, yes, I'll give you whatshisname too. Nolan?

• Like 2

Yeah, for whatever criticisms one can level at Nolan's films, they were positive films about civic responsibility.

In fairness to Snyder (on Bats, not Superman) I think he relied on a collective understanding of the character's mythos to tell a story about Batman at his lowest point. The problem is that twenty years of reboots/reimaginings have conditioned audiences to accept new interpretations with a clean slate. 

• Like 2

That 100% explains why it landed with me too. I'm so tired of origin stories so being dropped in and told to roll with contextual info rather than a hard origin clicked perfectly for me.

Tbh Nolan relied on the same stuff for Rises. As much as I love that film, it makes very little sense in the world they built in the prior two films.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Tbh Nolan relied on the same stuff for Rises. As much as I love that film, it makes very little sense.

Really, that's all you needed.

• Like 1

It also passed MoS for worldwide and is like $35 mil from Suicide Squad which would normally seem impossible this late in the game but I figure it could land it. BvS' $873 mil seems totally out of reach but who knows? I can't think of the last time a film had this steady a performance. 

For some reason it doesn't open in Japan until late August but apparently superhero stuff doesn't do great there anyway.

32 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

It also passed MoS for worldwide and is like $35 mil from Suicide Squad which would normally seem impossible this late in the game but I figure it could land it. BvS' $873 mil seems totally out of reach but who knows? I can't think of the last time a film had this steady a performance. 

For some reason it doesn't open in Japan until late August but apparently superhero stuff doesn't do great there anyway.

Not enough tentacles and teenagers with googly eyes.

Wonder Woman will probably add about $10-15M from Japan.  I'm thinking $800M worldwide is possible but $785M would be my current prediction. Wherever it lands it's fucking insane, remember that the movie's production cost was only $149M.  You can tack on more for advertising obviously but it's said that from Wonder Woman merchandise alone they are going to make a huge profit, she's back.  I thought Harley Quinn would be the  go-to female for the DC Universe but Wonder Woman might be even bigger. 

So now we will definitely see Whedon's Batgirl.  We'll see Gotham City Sirens w/ Harley Quinn.  We'll see Wonder Woman 2.  Big things ahead for the ladies of the DC universe.  

Of course my most anticipated remains The Batman.  Matt Reeves is attached as writer/director and the freaking Planet of the Apes series has been epic so I'm expecting big things from him with Bats.

• Like 2