DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I'll give you Shazam.  It looks like a good mix of fun and lightness (no, not Marvel levels necessarily), but that Aquaman trailer, not so fast.  I don't know who in marketing thought ending the trailer with, slight paraphrasing here, "REDHEADS, THEY BE CRAZY, AM I RIGHT?" was the best line to use to sale the movie and leave a lasting impression, but I obviously disagree with their strategy.  Also, the other bits didn't thrill me either.  We'll see, but not high on my rotten tomato list next summer.

3 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Aquaman looks like absolute ass.

An Aquaman who looks like Roman Reigns wasn't a real good idea. Also no Tusky or Topo makes me sad.

This is what DC should be doing right now. Instead of giving the world yet ANOTHER superman and/or batman movie, introduce your other characters and establish an audience for them. I mean think about how much mainstream appeal Iron Man and Thor had before the MCU was a thing. Not much.

• Like 3

I agree. But my guess was they looked at it similar to the animated division. They started doing other characters but saw Batman and Superman were the ones that sold the most DVD's so that's why the focused on them instead of the other characters. 

I just hope these succeed so maybe just maybe we could get a Blue and Gold movie

• Like 1

The Shazam trailer made me a lot more willing to give the movie a shake than I was a few months ago.  I'm always going to wish they'd hewed closer to the classic version of the story than the New 52 one,  but if you're starting from the premise that Johns's take is the way to go this is way better than I'd hoped, let alone what I was afraid they'd make.

4 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

Wasn't The Rock going to be in Shazaam as Black Adam? Is that still a thing and they didn't want to spoil it in the trailer? Or is that being saved for a possible sequel?

He's either not in it or just a cameo. The plan is to do a Black Adam solo movie, or at least it was. Rock is still attached officially.

Then do a movie with both of them down the line.

• Like 1

So Shazam will be the GoTG of the DCEU and will remind people that fun, light-hearted superhero movies are perfectly fine.  I'm good with that.

Oh, and FUCK YEAH THEY USED SHAZAM'S MAGICAL SUBWAY TRAIN IN THE MOVIE~!!!!!!!!!!!!

shazamsubway.png

Aquaman is note perfect from Black Manta being badass to Jason Momoa having molten chemistry with nearly every female lead he's been in a movie or television series with.

I can't help but think that the Aquaman movie is a deliberate and stern rebuke of:

I'm not expecting either of them to be big hits but the MCU didn't start off on fire after Iron Man.. Thor,  Incredible Hulk and Cap were lukewarm and Iron Man 2 was ehh..    DC just needs to take things slow and find their stride now.  

Justice League was a huge fail.  The other films were all very successful at least box office wise so there is enough there to keep going.   Aquaman and Shazam! could be moderate successes.   Wonder Woman 1984 could be another big success off the first one.  Just gotta hope that Matt Reeves is cooking up something special for Batman down the line. 

On 7/21/2018 at 8:49 PM, Betsy Zeidler said:

SHAZAM! starring Zachary Levi, Mark Strong, Djimon Hounsou

This is basically everything I could ask for in a Captain Marvel movie, and the polar opposite of the DCEU to date.

Really enjoyable.