DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Whedon wrote at least 33% of the screenplay and more likely 50% or more according to the guidelines of the WGA.   "A story by" could mean a lot of things.  Some here simply want to absolve Whedon of blame but his fingerprints are clearly all over Justice League.  It's funny to read the spins.  :lol:

On 4/1/2018 at 1:05 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

Whedon wrote at least 33% of the screenplay and more likely 50% or more according to the guidelines of the WGA.   "A story by" could mean a lot of things.  Some here simply want to absolve Whedon of blame but his fingerprints are clearly all over Justice League.  It's funny to read the spins.  :lol:

Didn't you think the Need for Speed movie was going to do bigger than Guardians of the Galaxy? I recall a couple people here made that claim.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Didn't you think the Need for Speed movie was going to do bigger than Guardians of the Galaxy? I recall a couple people here made that claim.

No sir,  I don't recall that.  I'm a big Fast and the Furious fan but I've never seen Need for Speed. And I like Aaron Paul but no.. 

• Like 1

I make no excuses for Whedon on Justice League other than that almost the entirety of DCEU is a shit show that was terribly run by the brass at DC Entertainment in Warner Bros. They probably thought they would have an edge over the MCU having a shared universe that would be ultra dark and serious rather than the lighter, funner style of MCU. 

39 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I make no excuses for Whedon on Justice League other than that almost the entirety of DCEU is a shit show that was terribly run by the brass at DC Entertainment in Warner Bros. They probably thought they would have an edge over the MCU having a shared universe that would be ultra dark and serious rather than the lighter, funner style of MCU. 

I think they thought it'd be easy and it's not.  They were in the midst of the highly successful Nolan trilogy and you could tell the wheels were turning especially with the "Robin" reveal but Nolan was never going to do it.   

Man of Steel had little hints and Wayne Easter eggs and however you felt about it,   Man of Steel had it's fans and laid the groundwork for them to start tying the universe together.  

But then they got greedy.  I think they came out of Batman vs. Superman okay for what it was but it was still too much too quickly.   Suicide Squad was a success but in a different way.  Wonder Woman was a huge success. 

If they had followed Wonder Woman with Wan's Aquaman and then got a Flash movie going,  then maybe it'd be time for Justice League.  I'd still prefer they get Batman right again and finally get Green Lantern right.  

Justice League was about 2-3 years early..  they had no reason to go ahead with it but the dummies thought they could put out whatever and the public would eat it up.  They were wrong.  Very wrong.  

I think the only thing they can do right now is stick to solo films that have almost nothing to do with one another. 

• Like 1

Yeah, as someone who's genuinely enjoyed every DCEU film to date (even preferring them to Marvel offerings around the same time) when your flanker films are outperforming your flagships, something is unquestionably wrong. I had a good time with Justice League in a rollercoaster way but my god I've never seen a film so evidently impeded by the number of cooks in the kitchen. 

More than being dark, I feel like BvS really suffered from being BORING. Like, I was engaged the whole time through multiple viewings, but I also realize I'm the outlier. Folks aren't buying a ticket to see Batman fight Superman and have Wonder Woman show up for two hours of talking and political nonsense. Hell, most people that I talked to who HATED the movie still admitted the fight itself was solid, the Batman warehouse bit was basically perfect, and Wonder Woman/The Doomsday fight were at least passably cool. BvS has basically all the same strengths and flaws as Sucker Punch and gave viewers such whiplash that it somehow failed to barely outperform the solo Superman film preceding it and hitting exact middle of the pack for Batman movies accounting for inflation...and counting both Mask of the Phantasm and Killing Joke which had limited releases. In terms of live action Batman films accounting for inflation, it only beat Begins and &Robin. 

I am a HUGE apologist for these quality wise. I get why Suicide Squad has a rabid fanbase. I appreciate the ambition of the films contrasted with the bland house style Marvel was cranking out pre-Ragnarok. But no question the line has bombed at this stage and the way forward is probably solo films that aren't rushed until they get enough faith back to do another ensemble.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

GCS is still in development

Okay, I almost thought they'd mistakenly written Birds of Prey and meant GCS. I don't even know what iteration of BoP they'd do that wouldn't conflict with their Batgirl film. I've probably put more thought into it than they have though. 

In other news Spielberg's finally making a comic book film with an adaptation of Blackhawk. It makes sense that he could take on any property he felt like and he went with a WWII era Eisner book. The distressing part of the article is unrelated, but oy vey: "Spielberg is still on track to make Indiana Jones 5 his next movie and is still developing a remake of West Side Story for which he is trying to cast his leads."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/steven-spielberg-tackling-dc-comics-movie-blackhawk-1103534

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:30 PM, (BP) said:

In other news Spielberg's finally making a comic book film with an adaptation of Blackhawk. It makes sense that he could take on any property he felt like and he went with a WWII era Eisner book. The distressing part of the article is unrelated, but oy vey: "Spielberg is still on track to make Indiana Jones 5 his next movie and is still developing a remake of West Side Story for which he is trying to cast his leads."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/steven-spielberg-tackling-dc-comics-movie-blackhawk-1103534

I would totally fucking to see a Blackhawks movie, even if it were the "modern" version of the Blackhawks.

Blackhawk-Comic-Book-248-DC-Comics-1976-

I think the Bio-Lord plot is one of my favorites.   His villain name sucks, but his concept (cyborg that has multiple interchangeable combat platforms including a fucking jet) is cool enough to sell tickets.

The aerial duel at the end of the story would make for a great climax for the third act. 

The problem would be that Bio-Lord's motivations (save the planet by destroying humans) and MO are almost identical to AoE Ultron.  You'd have to change some things around to give the appearance of new freshness.

Personally, I think that this should be the way forward for DC Movies.  Leverage more properties that have no obvious direct links to the Justice League and give the stink of bad reviews for JL and BvS a chance to clear before doing more core character stuff.

• Like 1

Now that I think about it, you couldn't really do anything with Bio-Lord. 

His storyline hook and MO have already been covered in Age of Ultron and I brain-farted and forgot that Marvel has apparently stolen Bio-Lord's jet cyborg mode and given it to Iron Man for Avengers - Infinity War.

Avengers-Infinity-War-Trailer-2-10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah this sucks. 

--------------

Totally unrelated and less important: Flashpoint is reportedly not going to be Flashpoint but a solo Flash movie called The Flash again. At least if it actually holds on to the current directors.

• Like 1

Well, Flashpoint was rumored to be the last time Affleck was going to play Batman. Now he's presumably not going to be in it at all, but the most recent rumour is he wants to keep playing the character.

Which, of course, contradicts all sorts of rumors from the last year or two, so, really, who the fuck knows?

I have zero idea how DCU eventually gets around to Darkseid, and have any faith that this current crew handling the DCU can do any kind of interesting story since the MCU hit several grand slams with Thanos.  They might want to rethink their entire cinematic universe save Wonder Woman and find someone that likes comics to handle shit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Lol, every time this thread gets bumped, I wonder if DC hasn't come to their senses and called the whole thing off.

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Well, Flashpoint was rumored to be the last time Affleck was going to play Batman. Now he's presumably not going to be in it at all, but the most recent rumour is he wants to keep playing the character.

Which, of course, contradicts all sorts of rumors from the last year or two, so, really, who the fuck knows?

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

I have zero idea how DCU eventually gets around to Darkseid, and have any faith that this current crew handling the DCU can do any kind of interesting story since the MCU hit several grand slams with Thanos.  They might want to rethink their entire cinematic universe save Wonder Woman and find someone that likes comics to handle shit.

This for each post.