DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I'll always have a soft spot for Whedon because I spent the majority of my adolescence watching Buffy and Angel. He's also a world class punch up writer. I was watching Speed the other night, and it can't be overstated  how much his dialogue does the heavy lifting to make the movie work. 

I don't have anything against Snyder even if I'm not on board with most of his work. I honestly can't stop thinking about The Fountainhead being his passion project. That's really going to be...something.  

I hate to be a contrarian, but I don't think Winter Soldier is particularly great.  I thought about going home when I saw it in the theater.

I like the Bucky parts a lot.  And I remember it mostly having good-great action sequences.  Everything involving evil Shield is a turn-off for me.  I'm fine with the concept, but the execution doesn't work for me.  I thought it was largely a collection of thriller tropes.  You can guess what's going to happen from the moment Fury meets with Pierce and Pierce asks him - in a significant way - if he's told anyone else.  And, yep, attempt made on his life.  Then of course, there's the return from the dead that's not particularly surprising, the small handful of people who fight off the entirety of Shield, and defusing the bomb replacing the computer chip with only a second or two to spare.  Sigh.  Just once, I want to see someone in one of these movies defuse a bomb with 31 minutes left in the countdown.

I dunno.  It just doesn't work for me.  KInda want to rewatch it, but the Shield stuff talks me out of it.

Age of Ultron has a lot of flaws, but I'd still put it above most Marvel movies.

Snyder isn't a "great visual artist" he does swipes from other movies and comics.  Niners posted a number of them in the BvS thread, ostensibly to show how amazing Snyder is, but his lack of storytelling ability proves him to be the Rob Liefeld of cinema.

Bay is 1990s Herb Trimpe

6 hours ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

Snyder isn't a "great visual artist" he does swipes from other movies and comics.  Niners posted a number of them in the BvS thread, ostensibly to show how amazing Snyder is, but his lack of storytelling ability proves him to be the Rob Liefeld of cinema.

Bay is 1990s Herb Trimpe

Fowler mentioned something about metacritic which I don't follow but if it's like RT and is comprised of a lot of bloggers then I don't put much stock in it.

But what I do put a little stock in is when I see interviews with the James Camerons of the world and they continue to speak very highly of Snyder's visual mastery. 

So no, it's not coming just from me..  and you are a known Snyder hater from way back, we don't have to rehash these tired old positions. :lol:

Whedon is a hack and Watchmen, Dawn of the Dead and 300 are better than any of his work. 

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

isn't Wrinkle in Time being widely panned?  Not that I won't see it.  I'll give it a shot. 

Most of the criticisms have to deal with Ava supposedly not handling the intricacies and minutiae of the book in a more subtle manner. 

As if the quantum mathematics and the criticism of religion is actually going to keep kids attentive in a movie theater these days...

A Wrinkle in Time is a great book, but the story is nigh unfilmable if you try to include every little thing that the book's fans think is important.. 

I think Ava will do just fine with New Gods.

• Like 2

New Gods is kind of a weird property. The bad guys are all super interesting (Darkseid, Desaad, Granny Goodness, Kalibak, The Furies). Orion is pretty interesting. Scott/Barda are interesting. Metron's cool. Black Racer is a-ok.

But the Highfather/Lightray/Forever People contingent aren't all that hot.

If they do it with Scott as the POV character and have all the wildness happening around him, it could well work, but otherwise, I'm not sure. 

On 3/15/2018 at 4:53 AM, Brian Fowler said:

(That said, he's never made a movie as good as AoU, unless that cartoon owl movie is secretly his masterpiece)

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it's probably Snyder's best movie on balance. 

I still love a lot of Whedon's stuff even if time hasn't been the kindest to all of it or him as a person. That said, I think his best trait is surrounding himself with an incredible team. Most of the stuff I LOVE that he's attached with saw him flanked by incredibly talented people whereas the stuff that I cared for less tends to be his solo work. I think he has a lot to offer, but benefits from having his ideas filtered. Weirdly, kinda like Vince Russo. And no matter how much I might like him as a creative driver, I fucking hate his action directing. And am honestly pretty neutral on his directing on the whole.

Super jazzed about the prospect of a New Gods movie. I had resigned myself to Darkseid being played as a knockoff of a knockoff of himself so the idea we might get him depicted well is great. And honestly, while some of the New Genesis types can be bland, focusing on Orion, Scott/Barda, and maybe Bug should be plenty for focus characters.

9 hours ago, Matt D said:

I think proof of time travel may be that Black Panther made more in one week than Justice League made in its entire run. Just on paper, that's insane. Imagine telling that to someone ten years ago. Twenty? 

Not too crazy.  Justice League was two director/studio interference mess of a film that didn't need to be made and they green lit it anyway.  Black Panther,  it was a great movie but also it was time for it.  The perfect storm.  

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Not too crazy.  Justice League was two director/studio interference mess of a film that didn't need to be made and they green lit it anyway.  Black Panther,  it was a great movie but also it was time for it.  The perfect storm.  

Even with those factors plus the DCEU's critical kicking by the majority with the exception of Wonder Woman, nobody called the amount of money made by Black Panther.

The popularity of the "Walking into Black Panther Like" meme was at least a clue it was going to clean up. Even then I'm sure most people were thinking Deadpool box office, not Avengers money. 

Regarding Justice League's performance in comparison, it can't be understated the importance of one movie having its groundwork laid out by Civil War and the other by BvS. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

The popularity of the "Walking into Black Panther Like" meme was at least a clue it was going to clean up. Even then I'm sure most people were thinking Deadpool box office, not Avengers money. 

Regarding Justice League's performance in comparison, it can't be understated the importance of one movie having its groundwork laid out by Civil War and the other by BvS. 

My point isn’t that it would have been an odd notion even in January 2017 but that it would have been an absolutely unbelievable one in 2007. 

Weirdly it might have been believable in 1997 where Blade was a hit and the live action Justice League pilot was the live action Justice League pilot.

• Like 1

I agree. My point was if you had to explain how that happened it would only take about 5 minutes of describing the two cinematic universes that were presented up to that point and even someone in 1997 would get it.