DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

All I've ever seen is him somewhat annoyingly correcting him wth just the one word "Zod" but it's entirely possible.

The Salkinds used to sell TV rights at a price per minute, hence the significantly longer TV cuts.

DC has a short list of directors for Green Lantern Corps and among the names is Christopher McQuarrie. (Mission: Impossible 5 & 6, Edge of Tomorrow, Jack Reacher, Valkyrie) .  And if you see a pattern there, you'll see why there's a not small school of thought that DC wants Hal Jordan to be played by Tom Cruise. 

https://movieweb.com/green-lantern-corps-movie-director-christopher-mcquarrie/

There hasn't even been any footage shot and you haven't even seen anything from it yet. Seems pretty dumb to say you'll skip something before there's any progress with actually filming the thing.

• Like 1

You know how everyone has at least 1 star that is an instant interest killer for them? Like as soon as you see "blank" is involved that ruins it for you? That's Kristen Wiig for me. I find her absolutely insufferable. 

I watched Justice League the other night.  It was "okay" I guess.  I thought most of the CGI was horrible.  A huge step down from Man of Steel but that's probably because they had two directors handling this.  There were some fun bits,  I enjoyed most of the characters.  Wonder Woman is still awesome.  Aquaman and The Flash were cool.  Actually,  I really liked Cyborg.  His scenes probably had the best CGI in the movie.  

This just felt like a generic ass team up really.  It has elements of X-Men or X-Men First Class where they are putting the band together and then it has the comedic elements of The Avengers and the horrible CGI of Age of Ultron.  So... yes,  they should have waited.   

The studio had several chances were they could have delayed this but I guess they felt they'd rake in the money anyway.  Well,  they didn't.  They were wrong.  It was a fail.  Now they are without jobs, many of them.  

That said,  I think James Wan will do a great job with Aquaman. I think Patty will do a fine Wonder Woman sequel.  They need to really think about how they should do a team up if that's the plan.  I don't think they should even do another Justice League movie.   At least not anytime soon. Just focus on the heroes separately on their own turf for a while.  

14 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Thank God.  Whedon needs to be FAR AWAY from anything comic book related.  total hack. 

Lol, hopefully they can get a true artist like Zack Snyyder or that Michael Bay dude that keeps wining all those Oscars.

17 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

You know how everyone has at least 1 star that is an instant interest killer for them? Like as soon as you see "blank" is involved that ruins it for you?

Not really, no. Is that common?

6 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Lol, hopefully they can get a true artist like Zack Snyyder or that Michael Bay dude that keeps wining all those Oscars.

I do believe Snyder is a better director than Whedon but I'm not going to open up that can of worms again :lol:

On 3/13/2018 at 5:58 PM, BrianS81177 said:

You know how everyone has at least 1 star that is an instant interest killer for them? Like as soon as you see "blank" is involved that ruins it for you? That's Kristen Wiig for me. I find her absolutely insufferable. 

Fuck James Franco.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I do believe Snyder is a better director than Whedon but I'm not going to open up that can of worms again :lol:

He's a better visual artist, but he's a vastly inferior storyteller and doesn't get as good of performances out of his actors. *¯\_(ツ)_/¯*

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

He's a better visual artist, but he's a vastly inferior storyteller and doesn't get as good of performances out of his actors. *¯\_(ツ)_/¯*

As far as his DC movies go,  he may be receiving partial credit with the story but he's not writing the scripts. He's credited with the story to Wonder Woman as well.  

Whedon actually wrote Age of Utron and he re-wrote Justice League.  I have both in the "okay to bad"  range.  

He sure as hell ain't Ryan Coogler.   I'm glad that Snyder and Whedon are both out.  Coogler was a breath of fresh air to comic book film. I'm interested to see what James Wan will do. These movies need to have fresh eyes.  

I don't think we are using the same meaning on storytelling. Cause I'm not talking about the script or plot at all, but in how the director tells the story using the visual medium of film.

Snyder composes some amazing images. He does not do a great job of stringing them together coherently. I mean I suppose some of the blame falls on his editor (BvS being a particularly bad example of film editing) but it's been an issue in just about every movie he's made, and I'm including the ones I like.

(That said, he's never made a movie as good as AoU, unless that cartoon owl movie is secretly his masterpiece)

• Like 1

Age of Ultron we just have to agree to disagree,  I know you like it but I'll never understand why... it's sooo bad and corny and Ultron sucks,  his jokes suck,   the heroes cracking jokes while people are dying sucks,  and we know people are dying because they use it for the plot to Civil War.   Quiksilver sucks,   I mean FOX did a much better job with him.   SW's power is nerf'd.   Neither have much screen time.  Neither does Vision. It's just a bunch of crap thrown in a blender and it all revolves around Stark because of course it revolves around Stark.  Then there's the whole Hawkeye subplot with his family and a love story with Hulk and Black Widow.  

Let's just say I'm glad the Russos are doing Infinity War.   Winter Soldier is on a level that few CBM's have reached. 

• Like 1

It's also literally 7 points higher on metacritic than any Snyder directed movie. It is one point lower on the tomato meter than Dawn of the Dead, but well ahead of everything else he's directed.

I like the Hawkeye plot and love the Bruce/Tasha arc. Of course it revolves around Stark, he's the most popular character. Heroes cracking wise during a crisis is basically Marvel in a nutshell. Ultron's jokes weren't supposed to be funny, they were supposed to be a dark, inhuman twist on Tony.