DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I'm expecting this to be better than BVS -

The key to enjoying this movie may be to not expect this to be better than BvS and then be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

I don't get the point behind obsessing over reviews and Rotten Tomatoes. If it's a movie you want to see them go see it and if YOU like then why give a shit about what some other reviewer thinks?

Usually I follow that exact example. That said, I do use RT and reviews to sort out if I'm checking out something I'm on the fence about, or if I want to see it but am sort of double checking my bank account and questioning if it's worth going a little thinner until next payday or whatever. If reviews are OVERWHELMINGLY negative, I'll look for more details of why they hated it, then reevaluate. I also have certain reviewers whose tastes I know run close to mine and thus I trust more.

Basically RT scores are part of a process. For me anyway.

But I think it's become a weird aspect of tracking the DCEU as though money isn't going to be the prime mover for success or failure.

I see Rotten Tomatoes as a good basic way to sort of see where critics generally fell on a certain film's release.  However, I think part of the problem is that studios are quick to adopt the certified fresh label as some sort of badge of honor for the film.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I see Rotten Tomatoes as a good basic way to sort of see where critics generally fell on a certain film's release.  However, I think part of the problem is that studios are quick to adopt the certified fresh label as some sort of badge of honor for the film.

It's no different than films using selected blurbs and star ratings from favourable reviews in their marketing, which has been standard practice for as long as I can remember. The average moviegoer today is just more likely to respond to an RT score than any other single source the studios could reference, so they use it. Nothing new about this. It's just the same old pig with different lipstick. 

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:38 AM, Ligerbusa said:

There are two mid or post credits scenes, both of which have leaked and are pretty fucking great.

There's another really big scene that leaked as well, CGI looks poor. If this scene was part of the reshoots, I can't imagine they had too much time to work on it. Still, I really liked this scene.

I'm still really excited to see it tomorrow.

5 hours ago, Ligerbusa said:

Justice League certainly has its flaws but I can’t remember ever coming out of a movie feeling that happy and smiling so much.

Good seeing my Bat bud round here again.

Yesterday I thought for the first time about DCEU positives and I came up with...Gal Gadot as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, Michael Wilkinson's costumes with the odd misstep, Wonder Woman (2017), Patty Jenkins, Jeremy Irons' Alfred and the score from Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) particularly Wonder Woman's.

16 hours ago, Ligerbusa said:

Justice League certainly has its flaws but I can’t remember ever coming out of a movie feeling that happy and smiling so much.

I just love how DC's big heroes actually like each other. Marvel never sold that for me outside of GOTG.

• Like 1

Saw justice league. Liked it. That Ezra Miller should be more famous than he is. Momoa was awesome. Gal Gadot is radiant. Her performance was great, but she’s almost distractingly gorgeous. JK Simmons was a really good Gordon, but the comparison to Oldman is tough.

Justice League was fun and made me want to see more of every hero and more of them together, so that's a major victory despite being a kind of middling film on the whole. And really great action scenes that made good use of everyone's powers which is hit or miss in superhero films unfortunately.

Best mid and post credits scenes for any franchise in ages though. One was the right level of comic nerd fun and the other set up stuff I'm actually hyped to see.

Also

I appreciated that Steppenwolf wasn't a herald or whatever and had his own agenda. I also dug that he wasn't actually stronger than Superman so they aren't nerfing that card.

Also the bright blue costume and the 1978 theme? Oh baby. But also him moving to track Flash and that super speed fight was great.

Yeah, Justice League was a blast. You could clearly tell that Whedon had his hands on the script but what surprised the heck outta me was how it seem like Berlanti had a couple passes too (at the very least was a consultant somewhere). I mean, those cameos!?!

I absolutely love how DC embraces magic, the way some of their supers seemingly causally uses it help integrate it well into the mythos (instead of jumping imaginary hoops to explain how some abilities/tech would look like magic).

Spoiler

They could easily make a spin-off move around the premise of the 1st invasion/war alone:

• There were two noticeable Green Lanterns but I swear there was a third.
  • The gods were pretty badass, I bet Henry "Theseus" Cavill had a couple flashback with that.

The casual drop of "New Gods" by Steppenwolf. Introducing Atlanteans and have them fit, along with their technology and not to mention their magic!

Not to mention they don't have any qualms about making superpower beings god-like in power scale. (Superman is incredibly scary how immensely powerful he is....)

I think that's one of Marvel's biggest flaw, they nerf so many of their more incredibly powerful beings just so they can skirmish with the lower powered peeps. In general they boost the bottom and cut off the top leading to a limited medium range in power scale... what that leads to is everyone fighting kinda like they're in Buffyverse .

Spoiler

I mean, there were points in the JL movie where I actually surprised with how freakin powerful these beings were:

• WW sliding block of the bullet spray, came off amazingly well.
  • Mera blasting the fuck out of Steppenwolf.
  • Seeing Wonder Woman having to maintain her messed up equipment after battle, that was god forged stuff!
  • And, of course, Flash probably shat his pants when Supes turned Ultraman on the group.

Justice League's opening weekend is expected to be $96 million (expectation was something around $120 million).  Forbes already has an op-ed piece calling the opening a disaster.

I dunno what it's RT score is, but the trailers kept me home this weekend even more than Zack Snyder's rep and memories of BVS did.  Trailer looked like the same sort of overly busy sensory assault Michael Bay churns out.  I can wait until Comcast on Demand has it.

Yikes.  I imagine the discourse at WB/DC today has shifted from "Maybe Wonder Woman save Justice League" to "Oh fuck, I hope Justice League didn't just kill Wonder Woman."

Soooooo maybe just keep making Gal Gadot Wonder Woman movies and just scuttle everything else?  The public has pretty clearly rejected Affleck and Cavill, at this point.

• Like 2

DCEU is dead.   Maybe Wonder Woman can be a solo franchise for them.  Batman needs a complete reboot.  They got away with some shit in previous films and still made a ton of money.  This Snyder + Whedon train wreck effectively killed everything else in the pipeline.   I have no doubt Wan is probably making a good Aquaman film but it'll suffer because of this disaster.  

I don't blame one single person.  There was no way this would work. You have Snyder making the movie and then he leaves the project and Whedon comes in and adds different shit.   He basically MS spray painted all over the picture.  I knew it'd be a disaster because Age of Ultron was a disaster.  But that actually had studio heads who knew what they were doing so it worked out okay. 

If they didn't want Snyder then the move was to remove him following BVS.  The thing about the previous films is that even if they weren't well reviewed there were still enough people who liked where it was going and it made money.   

Justice League pleases...   nobody. 

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I mainly blame @Niners Fan in CT

If this was my universe I'd be having Batman do some small scale detective shit in Gotham with maybe one villain or do something along the lines of the Court of Owls.  DC didn't listen to us fans,  they didn't listen to anyone..   putting out this half baked shit it deserved to bomb. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Justice League pleases...   nobody. 

Speak for yourself. I just got back from the cinema and I loved it. I hated MoS, BvS and SS. I thought WW was good but overrated. This was my tempo. 

Just lots of fun. God forbid Superman be charming and positive. That was the Henry Cavill I knew was in there. 

Plenty of laughs. Quality action. Everyone in the cast did their job. This felt like a great course correction after the first few movies didn't hit home. And it's the first time one of these movies ended on a note that made me optimistic about the future.

I'd happily see another Cavill Superman movie if Snyder wasn't attached.

Unfortunately, the damage had been done to the franchise already and critics are pouncing on the tonal shift and any other gripe they can. There's likely no saving this thing.

This was rad. Imperfect and patched together from half-formed, conflicting ideas? Sure. But rad. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Justice League's opening weekend is expected to be $96 million (expectation was something around $120 million).  Forbes already has an op-ed piece calling the opening a disaster.

I dunno what it's RT score is, but the trailers kept me home this weekend even more than Zack Snyder's rep and memories of BVS did.  Trailer looked like the same sort of overly busy sensory assault Michael Bay churns out.  I can wait until Comcast on Demand has it.

The first Justice League movie and that opening weekend total with the reception the film is getting. Fuck.

12 hours ago, EVA said:

Yikes.  I imagine the discourse at WB/DC today has shifted from "Maybe Wonder Woman save Justice League" to "Oh fuck, I hope Justice League didn't just kill Wonder Woman."

Soooooo maybe just keep making Gal Gadot Wonder Woman movies and just scuttle everything else?  The public has pretty clearly rejected Affleck and Cavill, at this point.

Wonder Woman was well received  in her three appearances with her solo film standing out above the rest of the DCEU. Keep Wonder Woman with Patty Jenkins. I think Ben Affleck's gone as Batman by the speculation that's gone on for a while. There is Flashpoint ; )

Do Wonder Woman and Batman solos. The state of the DCEU. Again, fuck.