DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Too many reactions to post.  I'm thinking this is going to be a lot like Man of Steel.  Not the content of the movie but how many people loved it,  many people hated it.  The reactions from critics is all over the place from "oh my god it's so awesome! the interactions between the team and the action!"   and then there's plenty of "this is too much of a mess!" 

But most people are throwing the word fun around,  who knows. I think the one thing everyone is agreeing on is that they are looking forward to Aquaman,  Wonder Woman 2 and The Batman from Matt Reeves.   So the DCEU will continue on..   

16 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

think the one thing everyone is agreeing on is that they are looking forward to Aquaman,  Wonder Woman 2 and The Batman from Matt Reeves.   So the DCEU will continue on..   

I agree. Regardless of how JL is received, there won't be the grim pronouncements about the future of the franchise like there were after BvS opened. 

Well,  still mostly positive reactions so far but most are from the "nerd wing" of the verified RT critics.  So this could be fresh but some major publications are definitely going to tear it apart. Maybe even most of them.  It could be a 50/50 deal on the tomato watch.  

As far as box office goes,  the expectations are pretty low.  They are thinking maybe $120M which would be low for a JL movie.  But a lot of people hated Batman v Superman and Wonder Woman was a huge success but maybe not enough to get everyone back for Opening weekend.  If it really is a crowd pleaser then maybe it won't see the drastic drops weekend to weekend that BvS saw. 

Regardless,  the timing is all off.  Thor 3 just came out two weeks ago.   Star Wars is coming out in a month.  Originally they had thought about putting this out in March but stuck with November.  I think that will prove to be a big mistake.  

• Like 1

Hmm okay so L.A. Times,  Gamespot and a couple others are positive.   Chicago Tribune,  Collider and a few others think it's a complete mess.  I guess what happens now with RT is they have a show on Facebook so they don't reveal the scores until after their show is over.  So people have to go and read all these reviews on different sites if they don't feel like waiting.   It kinda defeats the purpose of why RT became popular.  Anyway,  this is still looking like about 50% maybe.  I'm not reading all this, eventually RT will put up the reviews on their site. 

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:00 AM, Casey said:

Motherfuckers still sleeping on how great Bane actually was. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I liked Bane more than The Joker in those Nolan films.

I'd like some of what you're smoking.  I just have to remember not to operate heavy machinery while under its influence.

Ledger's Joker was about as note perfect of a villain that will ever be; comic book or otherwise.

The problem with Bane wasn't his voice.  It was the fact that Talia al'Ghul carried his testicles in her purse.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:44 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

I thought Winter Soldier was fucking awesome in his first few scenes but since then he's turned into this kinda bland anti-hero I guess,  I don't know what they are doing with him. 

Uh, I don't know.  Maybe he's doing his best to shrug off the decades of psychological reprogramming and physical torture that transformed him from a patriotic American solder into a trained KGB super-assassin?

I guess I was the only person that paid attention to that part of the movie.

I whole heartedly agree that the Loki face turn in Thor:  Ragnarok is really suspect.  Mother fucker led a goddamned alien invasion and nearly destroyed New York City for fuck's sake and now all is forgiven? 

Fuck Loki.  I'd have left his ass in the palace while Surtr put his sword straight through Asgard.

• Like 3

There are two mid or post credits scenes, both of which have leaked and are pretty fucking great.

There's another really big scene that leaked as well, CGI looks poor. If this scene was part of the reshoots, I can't imagine they had too much time to work on it. Still, I really liked this scene.

I'm still really excited to see it tomorrow.

• Like 1

I don't get the point behind obsessing over reviews and Rotten Tomatoes. If it's a movie you want to see them go see it and if YOU like then why give a shit about what some other reviewer thinks?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I don't get the point behind obsessing over reviews and Rotten Tomatoes. If it's a movie you want to see them go see it and if YOU like then why give a shit about what some other reviewer thinks?

I think the thinking is that because RT is now used in marketing and so widely popular there's an idea that a movie will suffer at the box office if the reviews are bad or lukewarm and with movies like these even if they aren't great fans get worried that they will stop making them..    

But I feel pretty confident that WB will never stop making them.  Wonder Woman has it's sequel.  Aquaman is coming.  Shazam is coming. The Batman by Matt Reeves is coming.  I've learned to chill out. 

OK so I saw Justice League.  I liked it. I enjoyed it.  I had a good time.  The thing about Steppenwolf being a shit villain is correct.  However, once it gets going, I actually had fun watching it.  Whedon's presence on the team interactions and dynamic is clearly felt.  Superman's not a depressing, unlikable sociopath anymore.  The rest of the heroes are pretty cool.  The CGI and visuals are terrible.  Elfman's score is terrible.  However, despite all that, I actually left sort of excited and wanted to see more.  Meanwhile with BvS, I left wanting to nuke the whole thing from orbit after killing it with fire.

• Like 1

I was expecting worse. 

Aquaman is going to be huge. Great performance from Jason Momoa channelling likeable Roman Reigns.

CGI is bad but not distracting.

They completely neuter Batman for mine and have him portrayed as the special friend/sidekick of the real heroes way too much. Not so sure about Wacky Jewish Flash either. Seems they're going all in on another Superman film to make him seem like such a bigger deal than the rest.

Jeremy Irons does so much with so little. Why Dianne Lane has so much screen time and does so little with it is beyond me.

Script is pretty bad and aimless. Villain pointless. But it's not offensive.

5/10

• Like 2

I'm expecting this to be better than BVS - you barely need to lift your foot to step over that bar - but so far most of the reviews I've seen have been bad to middling and the trailers make me think it's overbooked, overly-busy CGI mess.  Does anyone really want the love child of Vince McMahon, Zack Snyder, and Michael Bay. Haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards waiting for it to hit Redbox or Comcast On Demand.

Edit: I googled Zack Snyder so I could spell his name correctly (I originally typed "Zach") and the first hit was headline from a review of the movie.  Apparently, Business Insider thinks the movie is "agonizing to watch.".  LOL.  I LIKE PAIN.  TAKE MY MONEY!