DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

This is some of the worst CGI for a big movie I've ever seen.  I don't know how it costs $300 million.  Cyborg looks like a real man's head floating on a CG body like the clone troopers in the Star Wars prequels.  

Steppenwolf looks awful.  The green screen and backgrounds look awful.  Like this is 2017.  Can't studios afford more convincing green/blue screen background by now?

Batman's voice still sounds stupid.  Why can't Batman just have a normal cool voice?

latest?cb=20130319001555&path-prefix=clo

Review_CloneCommanderCodyTSC_stillB.jpg

In case anyone needed reminder for how bad the prequels looks.

The CG reminds me of the 2011 The Thing.  It just looks like everything's been covered up by mucky drecky CGI.  

• Like 1

I'm seeing Justice League on Wednesday, 11/15.  I have no embargo for that screening, which I shouldn't considering the movie comes out 11/17.

Based on what I've read, only some select comic and superhero bloggers were invited to see the earlier screenings.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Matt D said:

I think I read that the embargo ends on the 14th.

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm seeing Justice League on Wednesday, 11/15.  I have no embargo for that screening, which I shouldn't considering the movie comes out 11/17.

Based on what I've read, only some select comic and superhero bloggers were invited to see the earlier screenings.  

Cheers.

A lot of U.S. critics have seen the movie already.  The social media embargo was lifted two days ago.  Couple dozen reactions are out there from verified RT critics.  Although,  at this point what's the difference between a comic book dude and a regular critic,  they are all allowed on RT.  

Anyway,  the reactions aren't special.  They range from "really fun!" to "it's fine.."   It has it's problems like some of the CGI.  That's never Whedon's strong point, tidying up.   Most reactions discuss how they like the action sequences and the character moments.  It sounds like Avengers but with Snyder visuals.  Which to me is a good thing but why on earth most of these comic book movie villains suck ass I do not know.  

What was the last great villain?  The Joker in The Dark Knight?  

I'm kind of over these team up movies.   Even Thor had to be a team up.  Why?  I'd rather have solo films,  more personal,  grounded. Wonder Woman was great.  I think Black Panther will be great.   The way Spider-Man took a backseat to Tony Stark in his own movie was criminal. 

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Are you just talking DC villains?

Otherwise, you have over the top campy Hela and the down to earth Vulture. And YMMV ON Ego. 

Both of those are great performances trying to makes the most of underwritten roles.  But neither come close to entering the pantheon of great villains, because the scripts just aren't there for them.

And while I don't agree with Casey about Bane being better than Joker at all, the fact that 5 years later he still resonates in the culture, with people quoting him and dressing up like him at sporting events and whatnot,  definitely validates him as a great villain and puts him miles ahead of any MCU villain.

Honestly, the best screen villain since the Joker in TDK is David in ALIEN: COVENANT, but that's not relevant to the discussion, I guess.

• Like 1

Ego was cool..  but I felt it was more of a making something out of nothing performance.   Vulture,  again...  he was okay but he didn't have a lot to do.  

Bane was pretty awesome.  I know some dudes hate how that all played out but I love Bane.   So that's a good call.   Loki is solid.   I thought Winter Soldier was fucking awesome in his first few scenes but since then he's turned into this kinda bland anti-hero I guess,  I don't know what they are doing with him. 

Winter Soldier is the Dean Ambrose of comic book movie characters. 

• Like 1

That's one of Marvel's problems, the few heels they actually manage to get over (Loki, Bucky), they basically turn them babyface as soon as possible.

If they had dropped all the lame Tony Stark stuff and given Vulture more room to breathe in Spider-Man, he could've been great.  Keaton was on.  Like, if the conversation between he and Peter in the car happens in the middle of the movie, and the 3rd act is him actually following through on his threats, making it personal, that could've been something.  Instead, it happens and then they're straight into the final fight.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Motherfuckers still sleeping on how great Bane actually was. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I liked Bane more than The Joker in those Nolan films.

Banec was terrible. I literally don't understand how anyone took that voice seriously.