DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, EVA said:

It reminds me of WINTER SOLDIER, where the first 3/4's is an homage to 90's James Cameron action but the climactic battle reverts to the plastic-y Marvel house style.

James Cameron or I felt similarities to Heat also.  The Winter Soldier is still my favorite MCU film. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EVA said:

Oh, it's easily the best.  It's pretty much the one Marvel movie that I don't think has depreciated with age.

I still love Iron Man and I think the Guardians movies will have replay value for years to come but that reminds me about something too.  I didn't like the 3rd act of Iron Man too much, at least not the action sequence.  

Which comic book movie has the best 3rd act?   It might be The Dark Knight Rises,  which is funny for a variety of reasons.   The Avengers is up there too though I dislike CGI armies, they did this in a very entertaining way. 

• Like 1

I have Winter Soldier third for MCU, behind First Avenger and, of course, Avengers at number 1. AoU and GOTG would probably round out my top five, not sure which order.

Rises does have an absolutely fucking awesome third act, saves a movie that frankly sucked until it. 

Clark vs the Phantom Zone criminals in Superman II was really great, though the effects don't really hold up now. 

I kinda love the Portalesque fight in Thor The Dark World. It might be the only MCU film where the third act is the best.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I still love Iron Man and I think the Guardians movies will have replay value for years to come but that reminds me about something too.  I didn't like the 3rd act of Iron Man too much, at least not the action sequence.  

Which comic book movie has the best 3rd act?   It might be The Dark Knight Rises,  which is funny for a variety of reasons.   The Avengers is up there too though I dislike CGI armies, they did this in a very entertaining way. 

I'd probably go for The Dark Knight with Batman and Joker going at it once last time in the high rise building, the fall of Harvey Dent, Batman taking the blame for Two-Face's crimes and the closing monologue by Jim Gordon. I know of some who don't like the third act. Batman Begins is a contender with Batman taking on Ra's al Ghul followed by Batman/Lieutenant Gordon's exchange by the Bat signal, the best scene in the Dark Knight Trilogy. Avengers Assemble is the other contender as Avengers do battle assembling with Loki and the Chitauri. Such fan service.

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I have Winter Soldier third for MCU, behind First Avenger and, of course, Avengers at number 1. AoU and GOTG would probably round out my top five, not sure which order.

My MCU:

1. Avengers Assemble.

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

3. Captain America: Civil War.

4. Iron Man.

5. Captain America: The First Avenger.

Doctor Strange's third act is vastly superior to the rest of the movie.  Although it runs less than 2 hours, so it's not weighed down by Seriousitis like TDKR.                 

3 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

With Doctor Strange, prior to the third act the film is mostly average to bad. But the third act is so great.

Hard to consider DKR a third act film when the best part is that underground Batman/Bane fight.

You really thought that was the best part? Cause I find that scene to be one of the worst.

34 minutes ago, Lacelle said:

A History Of Violence had the best third act in a comic book movie. 

If we move away from superheroes, Road to Perdition is way up there.

Not sure, but to stop yourself from asking this question for this or any other movie, I'll throw out a plug for the RunPee app

It'll tell you two very important pieces of info:

1) When you can take a leak because there's a break in the action with dialogue cues and the app even can buzz your phone when it's time.

2) Whether or not there are post credits scenes.  

It's highly recommended.

• Like 1

I watched Wonder Woman yesterday. The build to release particularly the trailers but also the posters and WOM reviews went from a maybe to seeing it. I’ve seen the others even with negative reviews. I really enjoyed Wonder Woman, first great DCEU entry and touch wood DCEU builds on the film. Gal Gadot is Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, the relationship between her and Steve Trevor is noticeable.

The highlight of the movie is the arrival at the front line trenches in No man’s land, above it, the village battle and celebrating Veld’s liberation. This is already one of the best comic book film sequences, I had shivers through it. I’m getting them thinking about it. Wonder Woman’s third act is a step down from what came before, comic book films either do or don’t and the movie went on a tad too long. The film had humour, in a DCEU one! There are nods to Superman (1978).

Having posted my review, I'll catch up on posts about the movie.

• Like 1

I feel like people are confusing the real life and meta implications of this film as feminist icon as it has to be called otherwise you're howled down for it.

It does a great job for feminism because female director/female lead smashed out a great box office figure that Superman/Batman couldn't, and that Marvel weren't willing to take a chance with Black Widow. The movie isn't that empowering whatsoever. Like I said, own love interest in her own film. The majority of people who are going nuts over this will lose their shit when they watch Jessica Jones...