DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

9 hours ago, Mike Zeidler said:

Gadot seen here mimicking the bombing of Gaza that she is on the record as supporting.

Is anybody supposed to be shocked by this? She's Israeli and served in the IDF.

Just got back from seeing the film. Liked it, but didn't love it. It's the best of the DC films since Batman Begins, though.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ace said:

Is anybody supposed to be shocked by this? She's Israeli and served in the IDF.

Just got back from seeing the film. Liked it, but didn't love it. It's the best of the DC films since Batman Begins, though.

You don't rate The Dark Knight? That's fine, just surprised. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You don't rate The Dark Knight? That's fine, just surprised. 

There are parts of TDK I like quite a bit. They're scenes without Christian Bale doing the growly voice that just takes me out of the entire thing. As a result, I like Batman Begins much better.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ace said:

There are parts of TDK I like quite a bit. They're scenes without Christian Bale doing the growly voice that just takes me out of the entire thing. As a result, I like Batman Begins much better.

Bale's best Batman voice was in Batman Begins particularly when he speaks to Rachel Dawes in the Batcave.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If I had to do a quick DC Top 5 I'm going  

1. The Dark Knight 

2. Batman Begins 

3. Wonder Woman 

4. Man of Steel 

5.  The Watchmen 

But I really love Batman '89 also and a couple others hmmm

No Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993) as it had a theatrical release or you restricted to live action only?

1. The Dark Knight (2008)

2. Batman Begins (2005)

3. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

4. Batman (1989)

5. Batman: The Movie (1966)

If you count Batman: Mask of the Phantasm,  it makes my top three.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I was just going with live action.  there's a ton of DC animated stuff I love too.   I like The Dark Knight Rises but I'm not super high on it. 

Echo all this. The Dark Knight Rises is the weakest film in the Dark Knight Trilogy.

For me its:

1. The Dark Knight
  2. Batman Begins
  3. The Dark Knight Rises
  4. Watchmen
  5. Wonder Woman

And even this is mostly just based off of what I remember. I haven't watched Batman or the Superman films in years. This list basically just becomes the best Batman movies if I were to count animated films.

• Like 1

Every time I remember people loved the Watchmen film I'm surprised again.

My top 5 right now would probably be like...

1) The Dark Knight

2) The Dark Knight Rises

3) Wonder Woman

4) Batman Begins

5) Batman V Superman

If I extended it'd be like...

6) Man of Steel

7) Suicide Squad

8) Batman Forever

9) Superman Returns

10) Batman & Robin

With the caveat that I haven't seen Batman Returns or the Reeve Superman movies in over 10 years so it doesn't feel fair to judge them.

Before anyone asks, I loathe Batman 89.

Well, thank god, they got this one right.  I guess Suicide Squad was just too far gone for them to correct.  Maybe there's a modicum of hope for Justice League after all.

Wonder Woman is the tone they should've been going for all along.  And maybe they were, they just accidentally gave Superman to a director who hates him and has a lot of messed up ideas about Batman.

It's funny.  I hear people talking about how they Marvel-ized this movie, and it really didn't feel like a Marvel movie at all to me.  In fact, it felt much more like Nolan's Dark Knight movies than the DC movies that are most often decried as having too much of a Nolan influence.  Like, MAN OF STEEL may steal the BATMAN BEGINS playbook, but that's a Zack Snyder movie, first and foremost.  Nolan's movies see the heroes dealing with weighty moral issues in a world that's grounded in our reality where there are legitimate consequences and heroism is put to a genuine test before the heroes are forced to make huge choices that define them.  That describes roughly zero Marvel movies, but fits Wonder Woman to a t.

Wonder Woman doesn't quite to TDK-level with me, though, mostly because of that much derided last act.  Yeah, it's ugly and loud (I bet Snyder had a huge hand in storyboarding it), but mostly it kinda undermines the story to that point by presenting a scenario that's basically the equivalent of if TDK ended with Batman "winning" by beating up the Joker.  The victory feels hollow and less triumphant than it's meant to.  I also feel like the human villains were a little too underdeveloped to make Diana's choice not to smash Dr. Poison with a tank really resonate as strongly as it should.  It's definitely hinted at that she's just a sad, lonely person who's anger leads her to commit atrocities for approval and maybe there's something worth saving inside her...but the story doesn't quite get to making that point definitively.

Anyway, I hope DC continues along this track and doesn't dip too far into making more solipsistic Marvel movies.  I mean, I generally enjoy Marvel movies, but there are already more of them than we need.  The DC heroes are gods, and gods should be used to tell stories that are significant, that are actually about something.

• Like 2

I'm not sure Snyder was involved in the 3rd act or how much he was involved, period.  A lot of people thought "No Mans Land" was his idea but in an interview today Patty Jenkins said that was her baby and an executive didn't understand why it was necessary and she explained to them it's integral and needs to be in there.  

Snyder does have a story credit though.  He's also in the movie. For the hand to hand combat scenes Snyder recommended the team that did Batman's warehouse scene. 

The action in the WW/Ares fight just doesn't feel of a piece with all the action that comes before in the movie, which is clean and clear and, frankly, elegant.  Everything at the end is dark and grainy with a zillion things flying around, crowding up the frame, and a lot of zip boom crash krakow.  It's Snyder all over.

It reminds me of WINTER SOLDIER, where the first 3/4's is an homage to 90's James Cameron action but the climactic battle reverts to the plastic-y Marvel house style.

• Like 2

Everything around Veld, from the trench, to going over the top, to the battle in the village, up through the celebration was as good as any superhero movie I've ever seen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

The action in the WW/Ares fight just doesn't feel of a piece with all the action that comes before in the movie, which is clean and clear and, frankly, elegant.  Everything at the end is dark and grainy with a zillion things flying around, crowding up the frame, and a lot of zip boom crash krakow.  It's Snyder all over.

It reminds me of WINTER SOLDIER, where the first 3/4's is an homage to 90's James Cameron action but the climactic battle reverts to the plastic-y Marvel house style.

I hear you on that, the CGI battle at the end feels like the CGI battle at the end of Batman vs. Superman but the No Mans Land battle and the opening battle both feel like stuff Snyder has been involved with also  (Warehouse scene with Batman,  300, etc.)   

It's unfair to give him credit for scenes we didn't like but give him no credit for ones we did when we know that his team worked on the choreography.  End of the day, it's Patty Jenkins film and she did a tremendous job with it, I'm just giving her full credit for most of this and gonna leave it at that.  

It's really similar to The Wolverine, in that the third act feels like someone said "oh hey, this stuff is good, but it needs to turn into every other superhero film at the climax." 

• Like 2