DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Wonder Woman was better than both Avengers movies.  Although, I wasn't a fan of either of those.

Not as good as TFA, better than Doctor Strange, Iron Man 2, 3, Incredible Hulk, any recent DC movie, most X-Men movies, Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man 3, TDKR.

It had some problems, mainly the length and a plot twist that was heavily telegraphed and out of nowhere, quite a feat.

• Like 2

I saw Wonder Woman tonight. Wow. Just wow. It wasn't perfect, but it was incredible. Gol Gadot shows why she was really the ONLY choice for this. I loved it. Zeidler is right about the plot twist, but I was so "in" by that point I didn't care. This is also the most likable Chris Pine has been since the first Star Trek. There's a WW1 sequence early on that took my breath away. Go see it. I can't say that enough times. Go see it.

• Like 3

Just back from Wonder Woman and I greatly enjoyed it. Diana has been my favorite comic character since I was a kid so great to see the creative team get her right. Gal Gadot was even more awesome here than in BatsvsSupes and I liked the chemistry between her and Chris Pine. And Themyscira and the Amazons were totally kick ass. I had foolishly read some spoilers ahead of time so I saw some twists coming but it did not detract from my enjoyment of the movie. In fact, I plan to see it a few more times. It's a good time to be a Wonder Woman fan. 

• Like 2

I'll be seeing it this weekend, it seems like the type of movie you either love or are completely indifferent to. I thought this would be a solid mid 70s on RT with something like a 6.5 average rating but 93% and 7.6 average and an 8 average for Top Critics is among the highest for all comic book films.  It's Iron Man territory.   Very surprising and will fuck over my summer blockbuster picks for sure. 

I liked it a lot, thought it was sweet and kind of moving.

Gadot is so lovely as Diana when she first arrives in London, just completely lovely and innocent. 

And when see goes to war and the theme kicks in? Goosebumps.

Also, that new DC Intro. :D

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Yeah, it is a lot like The First Avenger, but The First Avenger was also a very good movie.  In some ways I think it's among the more underrated films of the MCu.

Yep Captain America: The First Avenger is underrated and is still in my top five MCU films.

Hope to see Wonder Woman sooner than later.

• Like 1

I really, really liked it. At a time when I'm finding MCU films fresh, this felt like it had the strengths of one while also having the scale and wild ideas and fearlessness I've been digging about the DCEU. Obviously there's fine points but it's my fave superhero movie in years on first watch.

I also disagree about it falling apart at the end fwiw.

So, I don't have kids, but a lot of my friends do, and one of the complaints i hear from a lot of dads I know is that while the rise of female heroes in movies is a good thing, a lot of the men in these movies come off as weak or incompetent. That's another reason I think I loved this movie so much. Wonder Woman is a badass, but Steve Trevor is strong, brave, charming, and resourceful. He holds his own while fighting alongside a literal amazon. 

Also, since i dont know how to do spoilers, ill just say this: SPOILERS. SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS.

The shot where she climbs the ladder and runs into "no man's land", and the wonder woman theme hits for the first time; bad. fucking. ass. Someone at DC FINALLY has a clue, and it's awesome...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, just drew said:

So, I don't have kids, but a lot of my friends do, and one of the complaints i hear from a lot of dads I know is that while the rise of female heroes in movies is a good thing, a lot of the men in these movies come off as weak or incompetent. That's another reason I think I loved this movie so much. Wonder Woman is a badass, but Steve Trevor is strong, brave, charming, and resourceful. He holds his own while fighting alongside a literal amazon. 

Also, since i dont know how to do spoilers, ill just say this: SPOILERS. SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS.

The shot where she climbs the ladder and runs into "no man's land", and the wonder woman theme hits for the first time; bad. fucking. ass. Someone at DC FINALLY has a clue, and it's awesome...

I agree that they did a good job of making sure Steve was shown as strong and capable in his own right. 

And yes, that ladder scene was aces. Just killer.

• Like 3

The scene at the end where she's literally fighting a God, and Steve Trevor interrupts to tell her he's about to do something more important? That was total bullshit.

Another ambigious ending where love conquers all or something. The ensemble cast just standing around amongst various explosions waiting to die for what seems like forever and then essentially survive without a scratch? Dr Poison becoming a total afterthought?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Hide contents

The scene at the end where she's literally fighting a God, and Steve Trevor interrupts to tell her he's about to do something more important? That was total bullshit.

Another ambigious ending where love conquers all or something. The ensemble cast just standing around amongst various explosions waiting to die for what seems like forever and then essentially survive without a scratch? Dr Poison becoming a total afterthought?

Spoiler

Steve says he needs to save the day so she can save the world. Basically sees his sacrifice as a necessary thing and expresses his faith in her ability to do more than he ever could. I didn't read it as him doing something more important at all...he just wanted to say goodbye in the moment they had.

• Like 2

Just now, The Unholy Dragon said:
  Hide contents

Steve says he needs to save the day so she can save the world. Basically sees his sacrifice as a necessary thing and expresses his faith in her ability to do more than he ever could. I didn't read it as him doing something more important at all...he just wanted to say goodbye in the moment they had.

What he does though, is largely irrelevant if she doesn't win though. Yes, noble sacrifice, etc, but for a film that's supposedly this great big champion of feminism/female empowerment, all the attention of the ending of the film diverts to the male lead doing the far more noble, but ultimately less important act, and to me devalues the big fight they've been building toward all film

Finished WW about an hour ago. Gal Gadot did a lot better than I expected. I quite enjoyed her WW's naivety and education about the world and humanity. I actually didn't realize it was so long. It never felt like it was dragging much to me. The final battle did little for me. Not sure if it was the CGI or something else. I wasn't particularly fond of the villains. Felt like the MCU where the majority of them ended up underdeveloped. Still, I liked pretty much every other character a decent bit. I don't think it was First Avenger or Iron Man good but still good and many steps in the right direction for DC's film universe.

• Like 1

I thought the villains served their role well. None of them had the same sort of depth as the protagonists but you had a sense of where they stood and why so it worked out just fine. Also they had to be cagey about some of them for the twist to work.

I also really appreciated, as the Good Bad Flicks review on Youtube summed up well, that they struck the perfect balance of Diana being naive but not stupid. 

While I don't know where you could have added more, I would have loved more of the Amazons and Etta. Both stole a lot of their scenes and made the most of the time given, but I wanted more by the end. Which is better than the opposite but hey.

More spoilery thoughts on disappointing aspects under the cut.

The biggest disappointment to me was Etta honestly. I thought the role popped and loved the actress playing her so it really was a shame that all her best bits were in the trailer, more or less.

Also, I understand why it happened, but I really wish they'd been able to come out and say a bunch of the Amazons were gay. When Antiope dies you have Diana and her mom crying...and some random Amazon cries out and runs to her side. Then the joke on the ship about old texts saying men are bad at pleasuring women...

Like...I get that there are homophobic territories whose money they want. But it's frustrating that a film starring a character who is a gay icon, that a number of writers (Gail Simone, Greg Rucka, Grant Morrison) have tried to write as Bisexual, whose star considered her bi as well, and whose film opened during Pride month had to dance around the issue and have a sort of misogynistic joke be one of the ways around that. 

(Given that the crux of the joke is 'men are bad lovers haha' it reinforces toxic masculine stereotypes related to both capability and responsibility. It also kinda indirectly gives the impression that lesbians exist mostly because men are bad at sex which veers into a SUPER AWFUL myth that lesbians just need great sex from the right man to be 'straight again'. It doesn't do any of this by itself, mind you. But those ideas are the basis of why it's supposed to be funny, since the implicit punchline is basically 'haha these women fuck each other because men are bad at sex'. Anyway. The queerbaiting leaves a bad taste.)

• Like 1

Just got home from Wonder Woman and I really liked it! Yeah, it is like Captain America in a lot of ways and I felt both films (and most comic book movies in general) took a dip in quality with the 3rd act but got damn!  The first two hours were fan fucking tastic.  Gal Gadot was soooo much better than I thought, I should have never doubted her.  Chris Fucking Pine?  WHAAAAT?  I've never liked Chris Pine in a leading role but he was great here, him and Gal had great chemistry.   The war scenes were cool as hell.  

• Like 4