DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

On 5/22/2017 at 6:23 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Zack Snyder has left Justice League. Joss Whedon will replace him on postproduction and reshoots as Snyder takes time to mourn his daughter who committed suicide a few months back.

God, that's awful.  Poor Zack. 

I think my biggest fear is losing my daughter so I have no idea what he's going through right now. :(

Thoughts and prayers for his family and peace of mind while he works through the grief.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

For some reason certain places of the Internet are now using this as an opportunity to shit on Whedon also. Some people will never be happy and are quite miserable good lord

I mean, Joss has become more divisive over the years. From some of his creative limitations being exposed to better critiques of some of the worse aspects of his successes to issues with him as a person (his treatment of Charisma Carpenter is particularly glaring). 

I suspect you're just seeing that contingent be a bit more vocal than usual. 

That said, you're not wrong that it's in poor taste given why he took over.

• Like 1

What's the deal with him and Charisma Carpenter? I vaguely recall that he supposedly fired her from Angel, and that the "vacation" her character took in an earlier season was to give the actress a chance to dry out, or get herself together, or something?  I assume there's more to the story than that.

Given the circumstances, i kinda feel like the movie is going to end up another DC abomination.  Though Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice gave me that impression anyway.

20 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

What's the deal with him and Charisma Carpenter? I vaguely recall that he supposedly fired her from Angel, and that the "vacation" her character took in an earlier season was to give the actress a chance to dry out, or get herself together, or something?  I assume there's more to the story than that.

Given the circumstances, i kinda feel like the movie is going to end up another DC abomination.  Though Man of Steel and Dawn of Justice gave me that impression anyway.

The tl;dr is that they tanked Cordelia's direction and wrote her off the show/fired her as punishment for Carpenter getting irl pregnant. Then asked her back for the 100th episode which she agreed to on the condition they not kill off her character...then killed her off, which she didn't find out about until the script reading.

Basically firing a woman for getting pregnant doesn't land well with the feminist circles Joss' stuff is frequently aimed at and that among other things has lead to a real dislike of him in some corners of the net.

I love Joss' work but I can't deny that's shady as shit and there's valid criticisms to be made.

I mean, sure but it's still shitty. And there's issues within the work too (like pretty much everything he had planned for Inara in Firefly Season 2...having her get gang raped by Reavers who die because companions have anti-rape murder drugs, then making her terminally ill) which are a thing.

https://www.themarysue.com/reconsidering-the-feminism-of-joss-whedon/

^ This is a pretty solid starting point on the criticisms. Your mileage may vary on how much they affect your enjoyment of his stuff. I still like most of it a lot and get excited when new projects happen. But a lot of the criticisms are pretty well founded.

I loved Man of Steel and after watching the director cut of Batman v. Superman it cleaned up some of the issues I had. Suicide Squad is a total mess but they got Harley Quinn out of it and Robbie is a huge star now.

We'll see with Wonder Woman, I'm not hyped yet or expecting it to be good. The universe is still fixable. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Remember after X2 which I loved, FOX put out The Last Stand and Origins which were both terrible, since then they've put out First Class, Days of Future Past, Deadpool and Logan which are all pretty solid to great.

I agree with you. Said the same thing before. I still have X2 as the best X-Men film. I'll see what a second viewing of Logan does when it hits DVD in July in the UK delayed from May in the USA.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ace said:

According to Carpenter, it's been resolved for about a decade.

I suppose it's more about principle now rather than the person.  Joss and Carpenter may have mended their fences, but that whole punishment for pregnancy deal speaks to what kind of person Joss is.

Caveat being that it may not have even been his final call.

• Like 1

I have butterflies in my stomach right now for all the lifelong Wonder Woman fans I know who are attending the premiere tonight.  I hope the movie makes them as joyful as The First Avenger made me.

• Like 7

On 26/05/2017 at 1:58 AM, Mike Zeidler said:

I have butterflies in my stomach right now for all the lifelong Wonder Woman fans I know who are attending the premiere tonight.  I hope the movie makes them as joyful as The First Avenger made me.

Nicely put, @Mike Zeidler.