DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Looks like they're allowing Momoa's real personality to shine with his take of Aquaman in how he's laid-back and chill-bro. But the character can go zero to 100 on the badass scale as needed.

I'm neutral on Flash's costume, but Cyborg's design is ugly. Otherwise, it looks good.  I expect that from Snyder. It's the story I'm worried about.  They have a strong cast and most of the visuals are impressive.  Let's see how the rest play out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

Thank you.

The thing is there isn't much difference between the brands as a whole. Did DC make shortcuts?  Yes. Did that cause problems for them?  Yes.  That's all true.  But many of the same people here can see those flaws but do not acknowledge the issues with Marvel movies and I'm tired of them running into these threads to shit on DC every time a trailer is posted. With Marvel, the characterizations especially and it goes far beyond The Mandarin. How Winter Soldier ended,  that's not Captain America. That's not something we would have ever expected out of him.  Cap was also pretty shitty in Civil War with how he handled the Bucky situation.  But all people here want to rail on about is Superman.

Then there's the use of CGI and green screen..  all these movies are like that be it DC or Marvel.  Some look nice, some don't.  So why bring it up? The beginning of Age of Ultron looks like crap, I didn't run into the Marvel thread to say it.

I don't want to read "Well why do you care?"  Or "you are too invested in this".  This is a message board and I obviously have free time. I like both Marvel and DC movies but I spend time defending the DC ones because that's where the unfair piling on occurs. This is how I choose to use my free time by asking these questions or pointing out double standards.

• Like 2

No, you just run into the DC thread, after a handful of people posted some criticisms, and mentioned years old Marvel movies when no one has mentioned Marvel. Maybe you should vocalize your complaints about those movies in the appropriate threads, instead of bringing it up every time someone says "Cyborg looks awful" or the DC movies are too grim-dark or whatever your gripe is.

The problem isn't that "you care too much" or asking why you care - the problem is you mention Marvel every time someone says one bad thing about a DC movie, like that's supposed to wipe away their complaints. If you want people to run into the DC thread and post all positive things and leave out the critiques, then I think you're the one that's doing the whole "posting on a message board" thing wrong. That's kind of the point - people in this very thread have said good things about Aquaman, and how Flash looks better (but not much) than he did in BvS, all the while pointing out what they also had a problem with. All without mentioning Marvel, because, y'know, this is the DC thread.

Give it a rest, man. You're showing your bias more than anyone else is, despite what you may think.

• Like 6

I thought Niners fan was done with DC movies after Suicide Squad?

Ah, here we go:

On 2/15/2017 at 11:27 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

I gave it a shot.  The DC universe is a mess and I feel the only way to truly fix it now is to start over.  Unfortunately, there's enough good there with Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn that they probably can't start over because there's too much money to be made with Gal Gadot and Margot Robbie.

Alright, that doesn't make much sense, but maybe a lot of us should put you on ignore so we don't have to see a whiny DC fanboy complaining about Age of Ultron's CGI when we're in the DC thread talking about how shitty Cyborg's CGI looks.

• Like 1

While I'm still not thrilled with Cyborg or the Flash's look & still getting over the disappointment that was Suicide Squad, this trailer had me more than a little stoked. While I still think Grant Gustin is and will continue to be the better Barry Allen, I'll get over it. I also think the TV Flash costume is worlds better than this one as well. 

I'm not thrilled about the CGI, but I think things need to be overblown and insane looking for Justice League as unfortunately there will undoubtedly be Avengers comparisons and this movie needs to be impressive on action and put asses in movie seats.

I'm actually encouraged that there is some epic level shit going on in the trailer. 

It'd be nice if Snyder didn't shoot his movies with a pair of UV sunglasses over the lens of the camera, though.

• Like 2

JT's comment just reminded me of the old Blu Blockers sunglasses. Oh man.

Anyway, I go back and forth with this trailer. On the one hand, it's hard to tell what is going on except that there's a bunch of fighting in the darkness and shit. So on that note, good job not giving away the whole movie or spoiling something like Doomsday in the trailer.

With regards to not giving shit away, I'm impressed that there hasn't been one hint of Supes and I'm legit interested in how he returns. I'm hoping it isn't a Force Awakens type of thing where he doesn't appear until the last 5 seconds of the movie.

Aquaman...Man...I just can't unsee Roman Reigns as Aquaman. That really bugs me, but that's a personal thing so whatever.

As for the rest, I mean, it's hard to tell if it's going to be good or bad from the mess portrayed in the trailer. What is clear is that the CGI looks like garbage. It's not the Rock as Scorpion King levels of bad CGI or anything, but it isn't that good.

I don't know...I'm sure I'll be a sucker and go see it again opening weekend hoping that I like it as much as I liked Man of Steel. It can't be as bad as BvS or the 45 minutes or so I watched of Suicide Squad until I bailed on that.

I have no problems with the Roman Reigns as Aquaman deal. 

At least he will be able to do super things other than communicate with fish via circles coming out of his head.

I'm sure that people will bitch about Curry being more like Namor than Aquaman, though.

I'm in the minority that actually liked BvS, so I'm going in optimistic that a full JL movie will be fine.  We'll get a better picture of the overall direction after Wonder Woman though.

• Like 2

Suicide Squad had this big fundamental problem of not understanding why Task Force X exists*, and a really generic plot, but the performances were so damn good if got past a lot of those issues.

Except the super generic finale.

*Seriously, they are a black ops team to take out political problems and the like, not a replacement for fucking Superman. Maybe a dictator that is hoarding oil and has a metahuman body guard or two. Not "what happens with the next alien Invasion?"

• Like 1

BvS and Suicide squad had such different issues. BvS had some really great themes and character stuff (I actually really like the Martha thing with multiple viewings) and when it hit the action it was a blast, but it was SO LONG AND SLOW that it killed a lot of audience interest. 

Suicide Squad is messy and dumber than a sack of hammers, but has a great cast playing interesting characters that make you want to watch. It's a way weaker film technically but plays to its strengths more and ends up more fun as a result.

Man of Steel is still the best film in the franchise, weirdly. It's uneven and has some dumb stuff (The fucking tornado scene) but it balances character stuff and action well.

• Like 1