DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I just finished the Ultimate Edition. It's a better movie. It answers some of the coherence issues and a lot of the later scenes I didn't care for in the theatrical cut feel more earned by what's been added back in. I think they needed a certain runtime and refused to cut the dream sequence/franchise building scenes when those were the simplest things to get rid of; instead they cut scenes that were integral to the movie as a whole. The screenplay still needed another pass (the stuff that doesn't work or is downright silly is still there), but I can at least admit this an improvement. 

Snyder's like a video game developer who just happens to make movies. So what if it sucks on release, we can patch it later. The success of the Blade Runner re-cuts and LotR special editions, good as they were, set a bad precedent.

• Like 3

not sure if this belongs here or not,

but Batman: The Killing Joke is getting a theatrical release (they just added over 300 more screens). Unfortunately, the nearest one is over a 2 hour drive away. guess i'll be waiting for dvd.

i was living in a much smaller town when Mask of the Phantasm came out, and thus, never got to see that one in theater either.  amazing movie tho, in my top 2 for Batman films.

maybe a theatrical animated Batman just isn't in the cards for me.

6 hours ago, twiztor said:

not sure if this belongs here or not,

but Batman: The Killing Joke is getting a theatrical release (they just added over 300 more screens). Unfortunately, the nearest one is over a 2 hour drive away. guess i'll be waiting for dvd.

It's a Fathom event. Do you know if any of your local theaters do them? If they do and you could get enough people interested to order tickets they might add a screening. It's all just digital signals now anyway, so I don't think they'd need a ton of notice, just be made aware of the demand. 

3 minutes ago, (BP) said:

It's a Fathom event. Do you know if any of your local theaters do them? If they do and you could get enough people interested to order tickets they might add a screening. It's all just digital signals now anyway, so I don't think they'd need a ton of notice, just be made aware of the demand. 

i'm not really sure. we've got 2 theaters in town, one locally owned and the other an AMC (which seems to be where the Killing Joke screenings are taking place). i'm honestly not that worried about it, a friend mentioned it and i got excited, only to be let down after checking the website. the movie comes out on video like a week later, so i can hold off the extra 7 days.

20 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Wonder if it will fare better than Mask of the Phantasm.

I think it was me and 4 other people who saw it Xmas Day it opened in Toledo .

According to my theater's info, it's just a one-day limited theatrical run - not a true cinema release.

I'm excited for it because I think there's a lot to like in the original even if I'm not as high on it now as I was ten years ago. That said, the animation models are ugly in this, failing to land at either Bolland's style or DCAU standard. Batman's chest logo is awful and they should have just used the oval. And honestly, as with Watchmen a lot of Alan Moore's dialogue falls apart when spoken by an actual human being.

Still...BTAS reunion, lots of great moments in the book...should be a good time.

On 7/4/2016 at 8:15 AM, AxB said:

Snyder's like a video game developer who just happens to make movies. So what if it sucks on release, we can patch it later. The success of the Blade Runner re-cuts and LotR special editions, good as they were, set a bad precedent.

But those movies were good to start with, and the extra stuff added things to make them more interesting. That's not true for most movies that get the same treatment.

7 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Suicide Squad minor speculative spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Given there is so little footage of him that until the character trailers hit I forgot he was in the movie at all, I'm assuming Slipknot bites it pretty early.

Spoiler

I've kinda figured they would need to demonstrate the exploding collars on somebody fairly early on.