DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Just kind of shows how insane film budgets are these days that film like this needs $1 billion plus to be measured as a success.

http://deadline.com/2016/03/batman-v-superman-opening-weekend-box-office-records-1201726300/

Warner Bros.’ Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice might come up $3.7M million short of breaking even in its global theatrical run. However, the first title in DC features 2.0., which was blasted by critics with a 29% Rotten score and given a B CinemaScore from audiences, likely will turn a minimum profit of $207.9M once all revenue streams are accounted. Warner Bros provided no comment about BvS projections. Financial analysts today assembled a bare-minimum projection for the Zack Snyder movie, which is projected to turn in a domestic B.O. of $375M (2.25 times its $166M FSS) and a global take of $925M.

• Like 1

It would really be something if a second Justice League movie imploded weeks before production. 

It sounds like the other movies are solo efforts in name only. Cyborg will apparently be in The Flash and Superman is rumored for Wonder Woman, and they sure as hell aren't making an Aquaman movie with just him. 

On 4/2/2016 at 2:59 PM, Casey said:

A prequel (to BvS) Batman movie doing "A Death in the Family" with Leto's Joker would be awesome and I want that more than I do a Justice League movie.

This is the correct answer.  It would also retcon address why Batman now takes the Zero Fucks Given stance and puts criminals in graves rather than prison cells..

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, J.T. said:

This is the correct answer.  It would also retcon address why Batman now takes the Zero Fucks Given stance and puts criminals in graves rather than prison cells..

I'm all in favor of this especially if it leads to a second Batman stand alone that's an adaptation of Under the Hood.

Movie featuring the Court of Owls -> Death In The Family -> Under The Red Hood could make Affleck the fucking bomb again. 

I just think that an element of tragedy that gives Batman's altruism a shadowy aura is a far better way to add comic book logic to Batman's murderous streak rather than the Snyder KILLIN' IS COOL method.

• Like 1

The Joker/Jason Todd theory that was floating around didn't make a ton of sense to me when it first appeared, but it would explain why this Batman wouldn't kill Joker and how Wayne manor was burnt down. Snyder certainly has the balls to change something that drastically. 

• Like 1

Word is that due to both the financial dropoff and word of mouth on BvS, WB is going to be reducing the number of films produced and developing a house style of sorts with a significant amount of creative control taken away from directors. Not just for DC films, but across the board.

I also can't help but wonder if they'll focus on keeping budgets under control. $250-300 mil and they're already in profit on BvS but if talk is right they're looking at a low ROI in best case. Also it really didn't look much better than a lot of lower budget Marvel films. Also I said very similar things about Green Lantern.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Except Snyder said Robin was killed 10 years ago in an early encounter with the joker.

They also said Anakin Skywalker was killed by Darth Vader. Not that I think Snyder is smart enough to deceive people in this manner, but it is possible that Jason Todd had a fight with a villain which drove him mad and he turned into the Joker

All kinds of moves today. Wonder Woman is being released three weeks earlier now opposite Bad Boys 3 and Barbie. They've added two new DC movies to the slate, one in October 2018 and the other November 2019, that are presumably Batman and Suicide Squad 2. They're also supposedly going to put a Feige sort of figure in charge of the overall direction of the franchises. 

1 hour ago, Brysynner said:

They also said Anakin Skywalker was killed by Darth Vader. Not that I think Snyder is smart enough to deceive people in this manner, but it is possible that Jason Todd had a fight with a villain which drove him mad and he turned into the Joker

I'm kinda skeptical Snyder would handle that idea as well as Batman Beyond did.