DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

But it's literally the exact opposite of the point Frank Miller was making in the source material. I mean a complete 180. It's the same basic words, but by making them about the villain instead of the hero, you're completely changing the point.

On the other hand, I'm not nearly as big a fan of the source material as many people are, and the underlying philosophy of the book, which that conversation is a huge part of, is one of the main reasons why. Twisting it around as something a villain says about himself instead of a defense of the hero probably improves the time and ideas of the movie in my view.

But that's pulling from the source material only in the most superficial way possible.

Did you read the Wired piece. I think they nailed Lex imo. I don't think the script is going to be an issue. Obviously the fight scenes will be at bare minimum perfectly acceptable. I just re-watched a lot of 'blockbuster' type films over the past couple of weeks and everything is robots smashing into other robots or vehicles and buildings falling down.  That will of course be happening here but I think Snyder does it better than most.

Anyone looking for a Batman v. Superman movie where the dialogue is strong and well acted and mixed with crazy fight scenes involving the first on-screen appearance of the trinity will be more than happy. Anyone looking for callbacks to the Donner era will be disappointed and I'm okay with that. They can go watch Superman from the 70s, it's right there. It didn't go anywhere.

I'm predicting a Rotten Tomatoes score of 59%.  There will be your usual Snyder haters. There will be your usual nitpickers (who hold WB to a higher standard than any other 'big movie franchise'). There will be your usual Donner era supporters screaming this isn't Superman when that Superman went out the window 30+ years ago. It's going to read a lot like Man of Steel backlash though this cast is superior and Terrio is a better writer than Goyer.

You aren't addressing the same thing I am at all.

I like Snyder. Own every live action movie he's made. I'm not quibbling about the script, but the idea that using similar lines in a completely different context is not pulling from the source material in anyway that means anything.

Edit: you have this strange idea that anyone that disappointed Ma'am Of Steel has an agenda beyond "I didn't like the movie" that now you're arguing with opinions that haven't yet been stated about a movie that hasn't yet been seen.

You aren't addressing the same thing I am at all.

I like Snyder. Own every live action movie he's made. I'm not quibbling about the script, but the idea that using similar lines in a completely different context is not pulling from the source material in anyway that means anything.

I think it's more "hey, I remember that but they've switched it up to fit their story"  or something. It's just like everything they've taken whether it's the armored suits or whatever it's for fans to be like "oh cool that sounds interesting or oh cool that looks badass!"

As long as they keep what makes Bruce... Bruce..  and shit like that then I want them to play around with stuff. I wouldn't want a Dark Knight Returns remake. I think that'd be bad.

So, do you just hate everything or nah?

Point to where I said I hated the trailer.

Oh. You can't.

To be fair, nothing you said could be construed as positive, either.

Well no, there's nothing "fair" about that. Immediately jumping to "so do you just hate everything" is pretty goddamn dumb when it's in response to this:

That trailer felt like it was 10 minutes long.

STOP GIVING AWAY COOL SHIT IN TRAILERS

and this:

He sounded like Jim Carey's Riddler.

Yeah. That's some blistering hate there. Oh wait, it isn't. Maybe people shouldn't label shit as "hate" when it isn't, you know, hate.

LaRue was right, you didn't say anything positive, just pointed out what you hated about the trailer (Which I guess is typical of people on the internet, I've been guilty of it myself) So I said "Do you just hate everything or nah". Perhaps you should learn what hyperbole means, because the voice in which I said that line in my head was DRIPPING WITH SARCASM. I still love that trailer and see nothing wrong with it, and I'll be there opening day. You got me on the Riddler thing, though. I love Eisenberg but I hate this Lex Luthor, no matter if it's "pulled from the source material" or not.

A lot of people I've talked to would like for the animated series Luthor to be ripped directly from that cartoon and implanted into the movie universe but I don't know. After reading the Wired piece I am interested to see where this goes because that is as close to Luthor as you're going to get imo

A lot of people I've talked to would like for the animated series Luthor to be ripped directly from that cartoon and implanted into the movie universe

I don't know why we can't get that, in any live-action Superman story ever. Why has no Luthor since 1950's "Atomic Man" serial actually emphasized the whole "brilliant scientist" part of the character? He's usually portrayed as a bumbling con man, a penny-ante gangster whose mediocre ambitions still outstrip his pathetic abilities. (And that's when they're not going with the "antisocial emo-kid with daddy issues" version that Zack Snyder seems to have stolen from Smallville.) Sheeyit, half of them aren't bald! I think Kevin Spacey probably came the closest to the comic book's Lex, but even he still had a helluva lot of Gene Hackman in his adaptation. Why do they always have to reinvent a perfectly good character? Why not simply say "Hey, Powers Boothe: shave your head, and be a really smart guy with tons of confidence but who also has a dangerously obsessive streak which eventually ruins all his grand plans", and presto, you're done.

I'm 100% behind this version of Lex. I think if you're looking for a young dude whose brilliance made him millions, that's your model. And we've seen the least of him so I hope for some surprises too.

I think it's funny how the Nolan films have become the DKR/Year One of superhero films. Really great stories that define a generation, leading to a bunch of stuff by less talented people trying to emulate them by focusing on the most superficial strengths. It's appropriate BvS seems to idolize both.

I'm still pumped for the movie but I'm 100% expecting a big dumb rollercoaster.

I think the script is going to have a lot to say but whether it does or doesn't..  the focus will be on the action and either how awesome it is or if you're in the other corner..  how gratuitous it is. Which is a strange argument and always was given that these are super beings (or in Batman's case trying to match a super being). 

The thing I don't understand is this shit going around the web where people are saying DC/WB needs this to be a hit. Is there any chance that it won't be a hit? Like, is Snyder and Affleck and the Wonder Woman people and David Ayer going to be throwing fits because 55% of critics liked it instead of 80%? 

I've learned that with certain properties it simply does not matter what the critical response is.  Transformers was the first time I realized "holy shit, these movies are getting worse and worse and NOBODY cares to stop watching them"

I think Terrio's script will be a lot more ambitious than that.  In fact, I think it'll be more ambitious than Age of Ultron which when you think about it.. was very similar to being a Transformers type of movie.  I don't know if the script will work. I don't know if Snyder will make it work... but it's odd when the tables have turned now to where people apparently do not want comic book movies to be more than a comic book movie?

Ten years ago Nolan crafted a Batman franchise that strived to be and in many ways reached success beyond the superhero bubble. But now there are people who would rather have dumbed down scripts and what they call humor..  I don't know, if the Stark and Rogers back and forth about explicit language is what passes the bar for fun then I don't want fun.

Even the last spidey movie made a crap load of money, right?

Yeah, $700 million in worldwide sales. Plus whatever piles of money it made on merchandising, home video & TV rights, etcetera. Unless Sony had spent a truly unprecedented amount of cash on the advertising campaign and other undeclared expenses, they made a TON of profits on that movie. Yet it still somehow wasn't good enough to keep going as a franchise, they felt they had to reboot it again.

ALL the profits? I doubt it, if that was true then why would Sony even bother selling any merch in the first place? Unless they were doing some of that Creative Hollywood Accounting, where Sony is all like "okay Marvel, we sold thirty billion dollars in Spider-man merchandise, and after deducting expenses, we have a total profit of... five cents. (tosses a nickel at him) Don't spend it all in one place!"

Maybe $700M isn't worth it considering the advertising and all the other bullshit.  It seemed like Spider-Man was declining in popularity so Marvel comes along with what I have to assume is a good deal for Sony (otherwise why do it?) and there we have it.. 

I have to think Marvel will do better with Spider-Man than Sony seeing as Sony no longer had any idea what to do with the character. 

A lot of people want Fox to make a deal with Marvel but why? The movies are good and they are selling.

I'm not sure what the hell anyone wants from these movies anymore. That goes back to my previous post. Everyone loved Nolan. Now there's Nolan backlash. Everyone seemingly loved Marvel Studios, now there's starting to be some backlash with them.

Do people want serious movies? Do they want comedy/popcorn?  I have no idea.  I'm starting to think most comic fans are worse than wrestling fans.

A lot of people want Fox to make a deal with Marvel but why? The movies are good and they are selling.

Because it would be nice to see all of the properties under one house and able to connect. And honestly as nice as the movies have been I honestly think Marvel could probably do them better. Really though right now the thing people really want Fox to make a deal for with Marvel is more Fantastic Four.