DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Well, the funniest shit to me is all the people who said "Why are these movies so dark and gritty?"  and then when they saw a couple jokes splashed in the trailer they said "DC shouldn't be doing Marvel stuff, that's Marvel, DC should stick with being serious, that's what they are!"

Fucking people. But I am enjoying the Marvel-only viewers losing their shit over this Civil War movie.  I actually think it's going to be quite good but part of that is because I'm a huge BP mark.

• Like 1

So, do you just hate everything or nah?

Point to where I said I hated the trailer.

Oh. You can't.

To be fair, nothing you said could be construed as positive, either.

Well no, there's nothing "fair" about that. Immediately jumping to "so do you just hate everything" is pretty goddamn dumb when it's in response to this:

That trailer felt like it was 10 minutes long.

STOP GIVING AWAY COOL SHIT IN TRAILERS

and this:

He sounded like Jim Carey's Riddler.

Yeah. That's some blistering hate there. Oh wait, it isn't. Maybe people shouldn't label shit as "hate" when it isn't, you know, hate.

Well, the funniest shit to me is all the people who said "Why are these movies so dark and gritty?"  and then when they saw a couple jokes splashed in the trailer they said "DC shouldn't be doing Marvel stuff, that's Marvel, DC should stick with being serious, that's what they are!"

Fucking people. But I am enjoying the Marvel-only viewers losing their shit over this Civil War movie.  I actually think it's going to be quite good but part of that is because I'm a huge BP mark.

I haven't seen anyone say that, but whatever.

I haven't seen anyone say that either. That trailer really bummed me out for the amount of stuff it gave away. Someone on Reddit posted a version of the trailer where they fixed that shit. It's about 2 minutes long, instead of 3, and it works so well. 

I'm more bummed about this than I was for Genisys because I actually loved the hell out of Man of Steel and while I think BvS will be as good, man, this just really took the wind out of my sails to now know what direction they're going in. Especially when just a couple days ago Michael Shannon was on the Nerdist and not answering questions about BvS. That lead me to wonder if he would be in it as a surprise. Well. Surprise.

Doomsday was fantastic in the very simple role of "plot device to kill Superman and sell a billion books."

The diminishing returns on the character are staggering, leading up to Infinite Crisis when Doomsday vs. Two Supermans end up being a one panel knock out.

I haven't seen anyone say that, but whatever.

Then I will assume you haven't been on social media which I don't necessarily blame you.....

Why did they feel the need to give away 100% of the plot in this trailer? I know why Terminator: JenEsYs  did it. The movie was getting low buzz and much of that wasn't positive so they were desperate and tried to hook people by giving away the twist. 

This movie doesn't have a hype problem. It has definitely received its share of negativity but you'd think "Batman and Superman are in this movie together and they will fight each other" is enough on its own to make it a giant box office winner. Are they worried about Civil War as box office competition or something?  I mean I think CW comes out long enough after this movie that it really won't be that big a deal. It just doesn't make any sense to do that. CW is fairly ambiguous and Star Wars has released three trailers and a million TV spots and I don't have the first clue of what will happen.  

Also Jesse's Lex is horrible. Who the fuck says "Bat Of Gotham"? 

If we're going to discuss single lines of dialogue in any of these comic movies we'll be here a long time lol. 

I loved the back and forth with Bruce and Clark.  My best guess as to why they showed Doomsday is because this trailer was meant for general audiences and like it or not general audiences are very stupid. They need to be told exactly why Batman and Superman are fighting and they need to be assured that everything will be okay.  I've been asked repeatedly at work why are Batman and Superman fighting. It's painful.

Here's another example. For someone like me, I don't need to see:

Civil War spoiler that everyone knows but just in case

Spider-Man

in a Civil War trailer. But do I think Marvel will show him in the next trailer?  Probably. And the reason for that is again because general audiences can't just go watch a movie anymore. Plus, I'm sure there are toys that need to be sold.