DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

All the hero costumes are so dark I thought the Joker-tagged suit was another Batman costume.

I believe that's because the suit got blown up in the explosion that caused Jason Todd's death.

Re: Red Hood

Apparently, earlier this year, Latino Review put out that WB/DC wanted the John Wick directors for a Red Hood movie.

All the hero costumes are so dark I thought the Joker-tagged suit was another Batman costume.

I believe that's because the suit got blown up in the explosion that caused Jason Todd's death.

Re: Red Hood

Apparently, earlier this year, Latino Review put out that WB/DC wanted the John Wick directors for a Red Hood movie.

Was this before or after they were announced for Bloodshot?

The Suicide Squad trailer didn't do much for me. There wasn't enough to get a great feel for the characters aside from Margot & Leto who seem like they will be decent at worst in their roles only I still don't think either character they are playing should even be in the film. I just hope Viola Davis's Waller is closer to the original comics instead of the practical villain they keep pushing the character towards in more recent years.

I still don't think either character they are playing should even be in the film.

Harley has been a member though. 

I know, and it was terrible. To be fair it was probably more crappy writing than anything else, but the changes done to her there make me worried about Harley in any team setting that isn't Secret Six.

I'm pretty stoked that so far I can pretend that Will Smith just might not "Will Smith" this role up.

Smith is to "Aw hell naw!" as Wilson is to "Wow."

TBH, he wasn't like that in Focus. That's funny because critics didn't like that. I hated the first trailer for Focus. However, I found it bit refreshing to see him out of that character not for a strictly Oscar bait movie or a movie directed by M. Night.

I'm definitely more excited about Batman vs. Superman than I was a week ago, but I'm not sure where I stand on Suicide Squad. I think it looks good. I'm sure I'll see it in theaters and enjoy it. But the more I see of it, the more I am convinced it will be exactly like the Assault on Arkham animated movie -- and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I still don't think either character they are playing should even be in the film.

I know, and it was terrible. To be fair it was probably more crappy writing than anything else, but the changes done to her there make me worried about Harley in any team setting that isn't Secret Six.

It's because she's basically bulletproof. Chris Sims did an article recently discussing what made the original Suicide Squad great and a big part was that it was a mix of C and D-list characters you could buy dying. It kept the drama high especially as the writing was good enough to make you care about their survival.

When they add Harley and Joker and these mainstream characters, it gives you a sense of who's 'safe' which telegraphs the 'shock' deaths and undercuts that facet of the concept.

That said, for a movie like this, having the Joker as a hook can't hurt.

Also, for me, I can't buy Harley as being stable enough for Task Force X, much less Joker being so.

And I can't buy Waller as being willing to sign Harley up for the team because of that exact reason. She's not just a sociopath like most of the team she's a raving looney.

It's because she's basically bulletproof. Chris Sims did an article recently discussing what made the original Suicide Squad great and a big part was that it was a mix of C and D-list characters you could buy dying. It kept the drama high especially as the writing was good enough to make you care about their survival.

When they add Harley and Joker and these mainstream characters, it gives you a sense of who's 'safe' which telegraphs the 'shock' deaths and undercuts that facet of the concept.

That said, for a movie like this, having the Joker as a hook can't hurt.

Also, for me, I can't buy Harley as being stable enough for Task Force X, much less Joker being so.

And I can't buy Waller as being willing to sign Harley up for the team because of that exact reason. She's not just a sociopath like most of the team she's a raving looney.

Pretty much everything you two said is why I'm not big on the two in this. On the other hand I wonder how many would actually be exicted, or even interested had the two not been in it. I understand why they are, I just wish they weren't in and maybe saved them for the next solo Bat film.

Is Joker even in the Squad? He's never in any of the group shots, maybe he's around to make trouble and try to get Harley back.