DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I think my issue with the tattoos, is that it is a bit too on the nose.  Like they are screaming "look how CRAZY he is", like people won't be able to tell he's a fucking psycho already. It's like some dipshit marketing team sat down and said "how can we make Joker appeal to millenials"?

• Like 1

I dont think referencing that series is a good argument.

It's a better argument than "I hate everything they are doing but I'll watch it anyway" 

To be fair I kind of hate everything they're doing but I'm not going to watch it, but I'll still complain. Is that better?

*I mean yeah I'll watch it on a cable channel at some point unless people REALLY hate it. On the other hand, if people really LOVE it, like they did with Days of Future Past, I'll go out of my way to watch it when I wasn't planning to. I mean I'm not religious about this.

Nobody tell Niner's Fan, but I think Leto's Joker seems p. spot on.  He looks like The Joker as created in the late 90s.

Also, THE MAN WHO LAUGHS came out in 1928.  GET SOME CULTURE, NERDS!

I assume he meant that when the Joker was created in 1940, that is basically what he looked like.

The only thing that really bothers me is the forehead tattoo. Not crazy about the teeth, but I can imagine how they might look better in different lighting and shot from angles other than "dentist's eye view."

• Like 2

To be fair I kind of hate everything they're doing but I'm not going to watch it, but I'll still complain. Is that better?

Well, you could spend your time doing things you enjoy :lol:

Looks like the teeth are decaying there...   I'm fine with a Joker who likes sweets and doesn't brush.

But every one of those iterations looked like a psycho clown.  This fuckin guy here just looks like a dude at a Gwar concert.

So you are going to give Leto a chance or?   Jack was a short little fat dude in Batman '89 but I still enjoyed it.

Great takedown of the XTREME 90s Joker via AV Club

http://www.avclub.com/article/jared-letos-joker-definitely-down-clown-218545

Also, he got them on the needle of a tattoo artist, who spent untold hours with the chaotic, volatile supervillain sitting patiently in his chair while he applied Joker-themed ink all over his body. “Well, I like to laugh,” Joker told him. “What about the words ‘Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha’ all down my left side here, and a smiley mouth on the right side?”

That was a terrible read. This was every 18-year old English major ever. Leto retweeted the all-star Joker picture and pretty much confirmed that the look is based somewhat on that iteration of the character.

It's sad when comic book fans aren't up on the source material they complain about.

One of the big theories about this pairing is that Superman, with all of his super powers, should be able to take out a normal human like Batman in just a second. JoBlo posed this theory to star Henry Cavill, and Cavill gave his take.

Well, if Superman is Superman, which he is, he wouldn’t,” Cavill said. “And therein lies your answer.”

truth.com

That was a terrible read. This was every 18-year old English major ever. Leto retweeted the all-star Joker picture and pretty much confirmed that the look is based somewhat on that iteration of the character.

It's sad when comic book fans aren't up on the source material they complain about.

I'm curious about what you found so terrible about it.

I would like it better if the tattoos were more ludicrous, like kittens playing with string that was actually a lit fuse attached to a stick of dynamite.  Also if on his head it was the word "insane" in crazy lettering with the "in" part scratched out, or go the opposite and have "sane" in perfect lettering with "in" scratched in before it.  Give him all the tattoos you want, but they are all making fun of guys that get their body covered in "serious" tats. 

I don't get basing this Joker off of a non-continuity take on the character.  I guess it's a long ways off and maybe it works out fine.  I am in no position to judge yet.

• Like 1

These movies have to be good or Warner Bros. is kind of screwed.  I just don't see Wonder Woman doing big business and that's the final film before Justice League.  They need to hit home runs with Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad.  They have some great directors/writers/actors/actresses all on board so here's hoping. 

I don't want to see them to try to "compete" with Marvel.  Marvel has their own thing and they are good at it.  If WB/DC wants to take a more serious filmmaking approach that is great, they don't have to do TV-Y7 movies.. they just need to be quality.

• Like 1

He looks like the Joker, only, you know, with tats. In 2015 what the hell is wrong with that? I kind of like that the hahaha chest tat looks like it came right off a Neal Adams page. 

It looks like Marilyn Manson mated with Shaggy 2 Dope.

Outside the tats, it looks like Morrison's Paddle Write a Duke Of a Death Joker.

Mix that with the way fucking underrated ASBaRtBW Joker, and I like it.

Except I'm still not fond of Joker being in a Suicide Squad movie. Or Harley for that matter.

• Like 1